Liquid filled tires

/ Liquid filled tires #1  

tractor88

Tractor
Kubota L3200
As I read the post it seems like everyone is filling their tires with liquid for traction and ballast. On a L3200 with R4s would I be making a big mistake by not having the rear tires filled? I have some concerns that on soft ground or wet lawn that I will leave ruts. But am also concerned that when I am pulling a 3pt disc that I will not have enough traction. OR when I am moving snow with the FEL that I will not have enough traction. Thoughts?

/ Liquid filled tires #2  
imo you would be crazy not to load them with the fel.
It would be very unstable with no counter weight.
no counterweight would be a rollover just waiting to happen imo.
I would Get them loaded for sure.:thumbsup:

/ Liquid filled tires #3  
The weight of the L3200 with filled tires will leave some impression on soft wet lawn, but loosing traction will cause much more damage.
I have R4s with rimgard.
Where I live, the ground is soggy much of the year, so I am careful when driving on the lawn. As long as I don't make sharp turns, or spin the wheels, the lawn holds up fine.
I haven't had to make any lawn repair caused by tractor ruts.

/ Liquid filled tires #4  
I can't disagree with loading your tires however I don't have mine loaded but don't do anything without counter weight, with a heavy box blade, rotary cutter or ballast box. You can't go with nothing but I haven't had issues with my choice of counter weight either.

As for soggy western Washington, I agree with that!

/ Liquid filled tires #5  
Unless the ground is extremely wet and soggy or you are making repeated trips across it while wet you won't hurt it. My 4240 is 7000lbs the worst thing it does is beat the grass down after a few trips. I think you can get 29 gal. Per tire. That would be 404lbs at 8lbs a gallon. I recommend you have them filled with a non corrosive fluid. Alot of dealers will not sell a tractor with a loader without filling the tires. Filling the tires will also make it more stable on a hillside. The tires on my BX are even filled and it does not have a loader.

/ Liquid filled tires #6  
You can add weight a bit at a time if you're going to do it yourself. I forget where it's at, but there is a chart that tells you the tire size and how many gallons they will hold. I would look that up, and maybe fill them halfway for starters. One of the big reasons for the R4 tires is that they will bite in dirt because of the big lugs, but they "float" a bit more than ag tires on soft surfaces. More surface area.....less ruts. That's why the R4 tires are a compromise to try to get the best of both worlds. It's so much more stable and better feeling on a tractor with the loaded tires.

/ Liquid filled tires #7  
I find that turns while in 4WD is what tears up my lawn so my solution is to use ONLY 2WD when on my lawn.
My rears are fully loaded and I carry a rear 300 # weight as well.
Works for me!

/ Liquid filled tires #8  
I have an L4240 on order with an understanding the rears will be filled with Rim Guard. I was told that @ 70%fill each 17.5 x 24.0 r4 rear would hold 55 gallons. I decided to go with Rim Guard because it is non-toxic, non-corrosive, and heavier @11lbs per gallon than the other choices. I wanted the rears filled because I plan to use the fel on some sloping ground. Also, in case you wonder, filling fronts is not advised. Good luck!

/ Liquid filled tires #9  
I have an L4240 on order with an understanding the rears will be filled with Rim Guard. I was told that @ 70%fill each 17.5 x 24.0 r4 rear would hold 55 gallons. I decided to go with Rim Guard because it is non-toxic, non-corrosive, and heavier @11lbs per gallon than the other choices. I wanted the rears filled because I plan to use the fel on some sloping ground. Also, in case you wonder, filling fronts is not advised. Good luck!

You are right they hold 55 gallons. You will still need a ballast on the 3 point hitch.