front tire roll-off question

/ front tire roll-off question #1  

lew61

Silver Member
Tractor
Kubota L4240HST
As a newbie, I've noticed a few references to front tires rolling off their rims and I'm wondering what steps, if any, can help prevent this. Also, what's involved in reseating a tire? Are there special tools I should have on hand? :confused3:

/ front tire roll-off question #2  
Proper inflation prevents it. A heavy duty ratchet strap tightened around the tread of the tire will make it easy to pump up if it comes off. A big air compressor helps.

Here is a video, the same work on a tractor tire.

/ front tire roll-off question
Ah, preventative maintenance. That's music to my ears. Thanks!:thumbsup:

/ front tire roll-off question #4  
Ah, preventative maintenance. That's music to my ears. Thanks!:thumbsup:

>Proper inflation (plus a few pounds more with a heavy load in front) has already been discussed.

>No sharp turns with a heavy load in the bucket.

>No sharp turns on hard ground - especially asphalt or concrete.

>Slow turns. Fast turns tend to increase the weight on the front outside tire and cause the sidewall to flex - possibly off the rim. It is just like a car cornering.

I've only had it happen once and thereafter have been very observant about the air pressure. Note that "heavy load on the bucket" is a prevalent factor.

/ front tire roll-off question #5  
Anyone use a bead sealer?

I noticed the tire shop used some on the last set of tires on the truck.

/ front tire roll-off question #7  
I used tubes. They stop the sudden loss of air if the bead is broken while doing any of the above mentioned items.

/ front tire roll-off question #8  
One other point besides what the others said. Watch out for low-cut stumps, large rocks sticking out of the ground or similar things that can catch a tire when you're turning. That's a pretty common problem with wheeled skid steers and also can get a tractor's fronts off their rims.

/ front tire roll-off question #10  
I too used tubes. Anyone here feel this may be a problem?

For me it was, possibly to do with gw's points above. When trying to cure a slow leak in a BX24 front by using tubes I had 3 sudden failures of the tubes. It was thought to be due to the wheel spinning on the tire so went back to tubeless. One comment was that the front wheels are just too small for front loader work. Have tried cleaning up the rim, new valves, and most recently slime but still drops a pound or two of pressure a day. Now waiting for a new wheel/tire combo to replace the useless one.