M9540 Belly Skid Plate/Brush Guard

/ M9540 Belly Skid Plate/Brush Guard
Wow that's expensive! I read about it in the OM and (wishfully) thought that it was just a different pto shaft that perhaps was splined differently (on the inside) to engage a different set of gears inside. They make it sound like it's a simple 10 min job in the "book". I'd be curious to see some pics also. Thanks for the tip's both of you guy's.

By not buying it with the tractor I basically lost the install. If you build a tractor on Kubota website, it's a $1156 option. The kit contains the gears and shafts to do just what you described. The 540 shaft engages one set of gears and the 1000 shaft engages a different set. The shafts are changed by removing an external snap ring. Installing the kit will be a bit more complicated but I'll explain all that when I do a thread.

/ M9540 Belly Skid Plate/Brush Guard #52  
Just a thought, I'm not sure what level the 16 gal of oil is at in relation to the pto shaft (I quess that you could estimate from the dipstick) but if you did this job with the rear elevated as much as you feel safe, you might save some oil!:)

/ M9540 Belly Skid Plate/Brush Guard #53  
Just a thought, I'm not sure what level the 16 gal of oil is at in relation to the pto shaft (I quess that you could estimate from the dipstick) but if you did this job with the rear elevated as much as you feel safe, you might save some oil!:)
I'm curious about this option as well so i checked into the parts catalog online it looks like the entire rear cover of the trans has to come off to allow the removal of the prop shaft and install the new internal gear set so that you can install the 1000 rpm shaft. Once the kit is installed i don't think you'll loose much if any fluid swapping out the shafts

I'm curious about this option as well so i checked into the parts catalog online it looks like the entire rear cover of the trans has to come off to allow the removal of the prop shaft and install the new internal gear set so that you can install the 1000 rpm shaft. Once the kit is installed i don't think you'll loose much if any fluid swapping out the shafts

Yeah, that's how it looks to me also.

/ M9540 Belly Skid Plate/Brush Guard #55  
I'd love to see pics of your project when it's done. I've got a 12K drive-on lift in my shop but I did all the fitting work with the tractor sitting on the floor, laying on my back on a creeper. After a couple dozen trips under the tractor I was beginning to think I should have used the hoist!!! :eek:

Thanks for the compliments Derek. Hope it serves you well!!!

Did you decide to start selling these? Or was that a one time deal?

Did you decide to start selling these? Or was that a one time deal?

I'd make you one if you want. Shipping runs around $60. I built one for TripleR and DT86 for $440.

/ M9540 Belly Skid Plate/Brush Guard #57  
I might actually get mine put on tomorrow! It's supposed to be in the mid/upper 60's!

I might actually get mine put on tomorrow! It's supposed to be in the mid/upper 60's!

We were supposed to be Sunny and mid 60s today, but it didn't happen. We've been fogged in all day with temps in high 40s. I had to haul a 16K pound load of paper rolls for a friend of mine. Am storing it in my shop tonight. Tore the crap outta my driveway getting turned around and backed into the shop. We've been dry for over a year. Got a light rain yesterday and it made it extremely muddy and soft for some reason. Not complaining though, we'll take what we can get.

/ M9540 Belly Skid Plate/Brush Guard #59  
The weather is crazy! This past year it snowed ( <1") once before Thanksgiving and I rolled hay in December, now its going to be in the 60's tomorrow and Wednesday then snow again Friday!

/ M9540 Belly Skid Plate/Brush Guard #60  
I'd make you one if you want. Shipping runs around $60. I built one for TripleR and DT86 for $440.

I'm interersted b/c I damaged one of my filters just like you did. Let me talk it over with the roommate/boss/wife. I do have a few questions it and about you're other mods (which I like all your mods).
1. Is there a hole in the skid plate for the hydraulic fluid to drain when changing the filters?

2. This past weekend I was thinking how to mount an old, metal milk crate (I have a cooler that fits in perfectly). From your New M9540HD12-1 review I can't tell from the pics, is mounted to fender? Or to the light frame?

3. You have 2 open storeage boxes to the left of your seat. One is bolted near the front axle assist lever. How did you access the nut under the there? There doesn't appear to be enough room to work unless you took the tire off or lower the fuel tank. The other storeage looks to be made out of plastic that is bolted to the fender.

4. I saw someone on here modify the skid plate for the fuel tank for their 9540. Have considered modifing it? I had a stick pop a line off my tank once. I had to lower the tank to gain access to put the line back on.

Again I really like all the mods you have posted. They look factory made, but stronger.