M9540 Belly Skid Plate/Brush Guard

/ M9540 Belly Skid Plate/Brush Guard #71  
I wanted something other than black oxide. Preferably yellow zinc as its corrosion resistance is better than plain zinc they did not have yellow zinc 8.8 in stock which is about the English equivalent to grade 5 thus the reason for getting 10.1.

I'll post pictures of mine when its done

Last edited:
   / M9540 Belly Skid Plate/Brush Guard #72  
I would not stress over the grade (bolt) you get as the load's are simple, basically compression and for the most part holding the weight of what you build to the tractor. Be sure to include us on your build (pictures) It's interesting to see the different "aproaches" to similar projects. I used 4 bolts for the "rear" pan, 6 bolts for the tranny pan, and 4 bolts for the engine pan, and have drug them all over some nasty stumps and rocks. Only scratched the paint off the 1/4" pan....so far.:laughing:

Bolted joints generally work in tension not compression. Its the clamp load that holds everything together. Its a fairly safe bet that on my tractor that i will not high center it or snag anything hard enough to cause damage to the shield but if you snag something hard that bolt suddenly is experiencing all the sheer force that 10,000 lbs of tractor can give it :) in which case i would hope to fold over the attachment bracket rather than turning the bolt into a sheer pin i hate removing broken bolts hopefully the grade 10.1s will be enough :)

/ M9540 Belly Skid Plate/Brush Guard #73  
If you could build a skid plate/ brush guard for my M5040HD I'd pay the $360.00.

My main concerns are the hydraulics hoses, connectors under the floorboard on the right side as operator is seated.

Let me know what you think or if you know of any other source.

Thanks
Ben
Kubota M5040HD

/ M9540 Belly Skid Plate/Brush Guard
Hi Ben,

I don't have access to a M5040HD to use as a pattern. I doubt your chassis is the same design as mine so a skid that fits my tractor probably won't fit yours. Sorry.

/ M9540 Belly Skid Plate/Brush Guard #76  
well that would have definitely saved my 7040's hood haha

How so did you manage to run something over that punctured a hole through the engine block that then damaged the hood? LOL
Welcome to the forum by the way

/ M9540 Belly Skid Plate/Brush Guard #77  
LOL, was just referring to the super beefy brush guard on the second page. Would be pretty impressive if I managed to go through the engine though.

I built the brush guard shortly after buying the tractor. Did it for two reasons. First being that DT86 (I think) had posted that he'd dented his grill moving brush. Second being that I too move a lot of brush and expected damage without one. My guard now has dents and lots of scrapes from brush that would have by now destroyed my grill and probably my hood!!! :)

/ M9540 Belly Skid Plate/Brush Guard #79  
My brother is building a brush guard for our L5740 now and when my son gets time, he is going to put one like Richard's on our M8540.

I got a crack in my 5740 cab and we are trying to figure out some protection for it.

My brother is building a brush guard for our L5740 now and when my son gets time, he is going to put one like Richard's on our M8540.

I got a crack in my 5740 cab and we are trying to figure out some protection for it.

OUCH,,, that sucks. That's why I don't attempt a cabbed tractor. I know me. I'd bust it the first day. Bummer!!! You need an exocage like us wheeler guys use!!! :)