M9540 Belly Skid Plate/Brush Guard

/ M9540 Belly Skid Plate/Brush Guard #1  

ovrszd

Epic Contributor
Tractor
Kubota M9540, Ford 3910FWD, Ford 555A, JD2210
My new tractor has spent the first three months of it's life in the brush. I consider myself cautious about getting brush under the tractor but it still happens. One time my grapple wouldn't grip. I found the connection to the solenoid on the valve had came undone from brush. The recent cold spell brought me into the shop for a few days. I was rolling around under the tractor on a creeper making sure everything was intact when I saw this.

DSC06021.jpg

DSC06020.jpg

Those are the transmission/hydraulic filters. Kinda freaked me out so I decided to build a skid plate. There are several drilled and threaded holes on the bottom of the transmission and rear axle assembly to use for bracketry. I built a basic angle iron frame using six of those. Then skinned it with 1/8" sheet metal. Then I used expanded metal to make a side shield that would allow me to see the transmission controls, hydraulic valves and transmission filters. Also thought it would make it easier to clean out if needed. The side shield is held in place with four 5/16" bolts coming up from the bottom. I welded the nuts to the shield brackets so a second wrench isn't needed to install or remove. Here's the skid and side shield uninstalled.

DSC06019.jpg

DSC06018.jpg

DSC06017.jpg

DSC06016.jpg

I tried to take "like" pictures without the skid installed and then with it installed. I'll post them in pairs to illustrate what's accomplished with the plate.

First two pictures are taken toward the back of the tractor from under the front axle.

DSC06008.jpg

DSC06026.jpg

These two are taken toward the front of the tractor from under the rear axle.

DSC06009.jpg

DSC06029.jpg

These two are showing the right sider undercarriage where all the hydraulics and filters are.

DSC06010.jpg

DSC06030.jpg

Here are pics taken from the right side of the tractor toward the filters.

DSC06011.jpg

DSC06035.jpg

To service the filters or adjust the shifting linkages the side shield is removed by taking out the four 5/16" bolts.

DSC06023.jpg

DSC06022.jpg

These two show how the plate is bolted to the tractor. In the first picture the four orange colored bolts and the one bigger silver bolt hold from underneath. The second pic show a bolt just behind the filters going into the axle housing.

DSC06031.jpg

DSC06032.jpg

I also put two bolts thru the factory hydraulic shield thru my skid plate to tie all that together and give the factory shield more strength. They are the two 5/16" bolts farthest from the camera.

DSC06029.jpg

All in all I think I've protected everything pretty well. Not going to say it can't be infiltrated but I'd say my chances of damage are a LOT less. Here's a couple more random pics for clarity.

DSC06028.jpg

DSC06027.jpg

DSC06030.jpg

Here's a couple from a bit more distance to show what it looks like installed.

DSC06025.jpg

DSC06024.jpg

/ M9540 Belly Skid Plate/Brush Guard #2  
Yesterday I was just at my local Kubota dealer inquiring about this exact modification. I was hoping that Kubota has something they offered as an accessory. I was told of a couple mowing contractors that build their own skid plates.

I am very impressed with how your modification looks. Might have to copy it an build my own...

/ M9540 Belly Skid Plate/Brush Guard
Yesterday I was just at my local Kubota dealer inquiring about this exact modification. I was hoping that Kubota has something they offered as an accessory. I was told of a couple mowing contractors that build their own skid plates.

I am very impressed with how your modification looks. Might have to copy it an build my own...

Thank you for the compliment. Copy away, that's why I posted it. You might even see things you could do to improve it. If so the only price is that you post them. :thumbsup:

/ M9540 Belly Skid Plate/Brush Guard #4  
Very nice work sir!

/ M9540 Belly Skid Plate/Brush Guard #5  
Very nice.

/ M9540 Belly Skid Plate/Brush Guard #6  
Very, nice, I am surprised no one is marketing something like that, I would sure buy one.

Last edited:
   / M9540 Belly Skid Plate/Brush Guard #7  
TripleR said:
Very, nice, I am surprised no one is marketing something like that, I's sure buy one.

Me too.

/ M9540 Belly Skid Plate/Brush Guard #9  
Very sharp work. I plan on welding up something very similar for my mx5100 this winter when the weather gets to nasty for log skidding.

/ M9540 Belly Skid Plate/Brush Guard #10  
Very nice! This is on my "winter list" to do. I plan on guarding the oil pan as well and incorporate a grill and side panel protection as well. Would you be able to save me some leg work and tell me what size(s) bolts go into those transmission holes in a 9540? It looks like there are 2 sizes, I assume metric. Working in the woods is hard on equipment! Thanks, and very nice work!