Wheel Spacers - L3400 HST

/ Wheel Spacers - L3400 HST #11  
Thanks for that info outoftractluck. I am going ahead with the wheel spacer project. I've order a set of 2" spacers from Bro-Tek, which also was about $300. Bro-Tek spacers simply look a lot more professionally made than any others that I've seen on the internet.

I am taking a shortcut though - and that is having my local Kubota dealer install them for me. I don't think I have enough grunt to handle a 500# tire, even with a dolly. Cost for that is only about $50 though.

Too bad you don't have the adjustable rims. Others mentioned the extra stress on the bearings from spacers. It's there, but not a real issue (with Kubota's anyway) as the same rear is used with rims that are adjustable further out than your spacers.

I've moved many a loaded tire around. Never EVER never would I use a dolly. Do it on smooth cement or dead flat grass. You can easily walk the tire around. Walk one out, roll it aside to lean against a wall or the tractor front, install the spacer, roll it back, walk it in place. You can rotate the axle or even pull up and spin the loaded tire pretty easy. The only real issue is mental, you have to know when to abandon the tire and let it fall over , 'cuz even a superhero would be seriously injured letting one fall on him! That's just so you know.

The $50 isn't a bad price at all, but should you ever need to do it yourself, it's a 30-40 minute job for me to pull both filled rears off and swap sides (needed to adjust rims to centers for some widths). Never dropped one yet (knocking wood like mad)...

/ Wheel Spacers - L3400 HST
Right John_Bud, for me a dolly would make a heavy tire unstable. The R4 should just about stand up by itself.

I need to take the little Kubota in for a checkup anyway, so I'd just as soon that some young mechanic take care of this while it's there. The dealer has the right tools, i.e. a tire dolly and a big impact wrench. ...yeah, I've handled some heavy stuff in my time, like pulling hydramatic transmissions and re-installing them without a jack. I suspect that if I did let a tire fall over, I'd get it up and back on somehow.

Some of us don't age so kindly though. Strength's not what it used to be. After a heart attack & stroke in recent years, I don't have the strength that I used to have. That, and perhaps, getting to be 72 might have something to do with it :)

You info is, however, appreciated. If I change my mind about doing it myself, I'll keep the pointers in mind.

/ Wheel Spacers - L3400 HST #13  
John_Bud: Thanks fo the advice. You must have some muscles! I guess I was just dumb enough to use the advice others suggested in this forum and the dealer who said to try and slide it out sideways or I'd have a real problem getting it to line up again. For me the dolly worked like a charm. The wheel sat right in there. Anyway, you probably have a lot more experience with this stuff than me but if I had to do it again I'd NEVER do it any other way. Kinda glad I changed the spacers before I read your advice.

Well - I got the 2" spacers on. Dealer only charged me ~$40; money well spent for me. Here's a pix before and after.

Before Spacers.jpgAfter Spacers.jpg

/ Wheel Spacers - L3400 HST #16  
Money well spent indeed. Good deal! My dealer wants $100 just to pick up and deliver not including any work.

/ Wheel Spacers - L3400 HST #17  
I have an L3400 with R1s on the rear and adjustable rims. After nearly tipping it over, I set the wheel spacing out to the maximum with only added about 5" increased width but made a world of difference. My rear wheels were filled all through the tippy incident and widening the rears.

I don't think the HST's with R4s had adjustable rims as an option. That would be nice though. My wheels are also filled but even with attachments like a 500# BB, I've had it in tipping mode :-( That's NOT a fun feeling. Hopefully the extra 4" will be better.

BTW sdkubota, the $40 the dealer charged didn't include pickup and delivery. I took care of that. BUT, before I got my trailer the dealer near Houston - in Webster, TX (name of L-D, M) charged $4.00 per mile, round trip. Absurd, but that was right in line with the rest of their labor charges. City Slicker rates.

Now we've moved to Warm Springs, GA. The dealer in nearby Waverly Hall, GA is a good ole' country boy. Charges reasonable rates, good service, and does what he says he did. Can't ask for more than that.

/ Wheel Spacers - L3400 HST #19  
That 4" will make a good deference. I have loaded R-1s set out max and my L3800 is very stable.

Rear wheel weights would help put more weight on the ground, if needed.

/ Wheel Spacers - L3400 HST #20  
I don't think the HST's with R4s had adjustable rims as an option. That would be nice though. My wheels are also filled but even with attachments like a 500# BB, I've had it in tipping mode :-( That's NOT a fun feeling. Hopefully the extra 4" will be better.

BTW sdkubota, the $40 the dealer charged didn't include pickup and delivery. I took care of that. BUT, before I got my trailer the dealer near Houston - in Webster, TX (name of L-D, M) charged $4.00 per mile, round trip. Absurd, but that was right in line with the rest of their labor charges. City Slicker rates.

Now we've moved to Warm Springs, GA. The dealer in nearby Waverly Hall, GA is a good ole' country boy. Charges reasonable rates, good service, and does what he says he did. Can't ask for more than that.

You could probably install the spacers yourself. I was nerovous about handling the fluid filled tires by myself but wasn't a big issue. I kept them upright at all times and carefully moved them by rolling.