Wheel Spacers - L3400 HST

/ Wheel Spacers - L3400 HST #1  

Gem99ultra

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota L3400HST
I have a Kubota L3400 HST w/FEL 4WD, R4 tires. It seems a little unstable on slopes. Actually - more than a little! So, I was thinking about adding 2" spacers on back. Anyone had experience with this and added spacers? And drawbacks to that?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Jim

/ Wheel Spacers - L3400 HST #2  
The only thing I see is it will add more stress on the outer axle bearing because you are extending the axle. Someone had some pictures of wheel spacers a few months back. Maybe they will come along.

/ Wheel Spacers - L3400 HST #3  
Do you have loaded tires? If not that will make your L3400 much more stable on slopes. And proper ballast on the 3pt when using your loader will help too. I don't have my L3400 any more, but I live in Branson, Mo. and we have two kinds of ground here, UP and DOWN. :) When I loaded the tires, I noticed a positive difference on side hilling when I mowed the back yard. And it is pretty steep. With my ballast barrel and the loaded tires, I felt pretty safe with the L3400. When it was delivered new it was no fun to use around here.

James K0UA

/ Wheel Spacers - L3400 HST #4  
I just put 4" spacers on the rears of my BX25. They've made a big difference on our very hilly property. I wish I'd done it several years (and many close calls) ago!

/ Wheel Spacers - L3400 HST #5  
Does it not have adjustable rims? Or is it a one piece rim and center?

/ Wheel Spacers - L3400 HST
Yes, I do have loaded rear tires. The R4 rims, as K0ua said, are not adjustable.

Like your Branson property, mine's either updhill or downill :)

/ Wheel Spacers - L3400 HST #8  
Yes, I do have loaded rear tires. The R4 rims, as K0ua said, are not adjustable.

Like your Branson property, mine's either updhill or downill :)

Well if you are still having trouble, then the spacers may be the answer..Several of the guys here have put 2 inch spacers on the L3400 for chain clearance, without any adverse results. I am sure that would also make a positive difference in your feeling of safety.

James K0UA

/ Wheel Spacers - L3400 HST #9  
I installed the Kubota spacers on my L3400 for chain spacing. Only gives you about 1+1/8 each side. The dealer ordered me the Kubota "kit" which was just the spacers but then there is a "kit" of longer studs for the kit. Not a small dealership but it took them a while to figure it out. About $300 in all. I'd try to find spacers somewheres else if I had to do it again.
Worst part was removing the wheel nuts. Kubota Loctited the nuts. Could'nt break them loose with a 4' crowbar extension. Needed an impact wrench in the end. Old studs came out surprisingly easy. If your wheels are loaded you'll need a dolly or something to pull the wheel out, install the spacers, push the wheel back and get it aligned right. Whole thing took me a couple of hours with some help.

/ Wheel Spacers - L3400 HST
Thanks for that info outoftractluck. I am going ahead with the wheel spacer project. I've order a set of 2" spacers from Bro-Tek, which also was about $300. Bro-Tek spacers simply look a lot more professionally made than any others that I've seen on the internet.

I am taking a shortcut though - and that is having my local Kubota dealer install them for me. I don't think I have enough grunt to handle a 500# tire, even with a dolly. Cost for that is only about $50 though.