Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Tractor
    B3200, L5740,

Default Re: Valve Stem Protectors

They put them on the industrial tires but not the ag tires.
    L5740 LA854 loader
    L3130 LA723 loader sold
    B3200 LA504 loader
    B1550 sold
    B2620 sold
    B4200 sold
    F2680E
    GF1800
    Kubota RTV900
    JD 850D Gator sold
    JD F935 x 2 sold
    Case 590SM-2
    JD 310D TLB sold
    Ford 555D sold
    Gehl 602 excavator sol

Tractor
    Kubota BX2360 & L4240 HSTC

My Bobcat CT235 had them on all 4 tires the L4240 just has the on the front but the rear valve stem does not stick out that bad.

Tractor
    2009 Kubota RTV 900, 2009 Kubota B26 TLB & 2010 model LS P7010

If I were to weld on the stem protectors, I would let out the air pressure but leave the water in to keep the rim cooler so it doesnt damage the tire bead. Put the stem on bottom dead center and weld away. Water wont boil and make steam to increase pressure till all of it gets hot which its not going to do with the small amount of welding to be done. I have welded on pressurizes pipe, vessels, tanks etc with fluid in them and high pressures without a problem but you do have to not overheat the metal to the point of weakening it enough for the pressure to blow a hole in the hot metal which is why I suggested that you reduce the pressure. A professional welder would not even need to let the air out to weld those on.
    2010 LS P-7010C 20F/20R gear tractor & FEL, 2009 Kubota B 26 TLB, RTV 900 Kubota,17 foot Lund boat with 70HP motor, 2012-20 ft 12k GVW trailer, 2011- 52" Craftsman ZTR mower, 2013 Ferris Zero Turn, 3 weed whackers, pressure washer, leaf blowers, 7 foot bush hog, 8 foot landscape rake , 8 foot 3 PH disc, 2 row cultivator, 350 amp Miller AC/DC welding machine and all the tools needed to keep them all repaired and running.

Tractor
    Kubota L5240 HSTC, (Kubota L3130 HST - sold)

LD1 - glad you posted those vids. I was about to do it otherwise...

Gary - there is a slightly different issue here. The heat from welding heats up the air in the tire which then can cause the rubber in the tire to start a chemical reaction that runs away creating ever more heat until it all blows up. It isn't about weakening the metal so much as the unintended side effect nobody thinks about.
    -Dave

"Being a pessimist is great. You can't lose. Either you end up being right...or you are pleasantly surprised."

L5240HST, QA, 824 Loader, 48" Forks, 48" Grapple, rear blade, box blade, landscape rake, Ancient Farmi Skidding winch
    Trailer - 10k/16' twin axle w/elec brakes
    2005 F250 5.4V8(3V) 3.73/4wd tow vehicle

Gold Member
    Tractor
    Ariens/Simplicity/Sears

Quote Originally Posted by dstig1 View Post
    LD1 - glad you posted those vids. I was about to do it otherwise...

Gary - there is a slightly different issue here. The heat from welding heats up the air in the tire which then can cause the rubber in the tire to start a chemical reaction that runs away creating ever more heat until it all blows up. It isn't about weakening the metal so much as the unintended side effect nobody thinks about.
    dstog1.

That sounds scary. But I'm surprised I've never heard of this effect.

Can you please provide more information on this phenomenon? Like the name of the reaction/process? And an explanation of how it works? Link?

Thanks,

My Hoe

Tractor
    Kubota l3400

From another website:

The most common cause of tire explosion involves pyrolysis of a section of rubber compound, usually the tire’s inner liner, due to a heat/energy source. The most common sources of heat/energy are:
    • Equipment contact with high voltage power lines
    • Tire or equipment fires
    • Application of heat to tire components, such as welding and heating with a blow torch or overheated brakes
    • Lightning strike
    Pyrolysis of rubber produces flammable gases such as methane, styrene, butadiene, hydrogen, and other hydrocarbons. An explosion will occur if all of the following conditions exist concurrently:
    • There is an explosive concentration of flammable gases.
    • There is an adequate concentration of oxygen to support combustion of the flammable gases.
    • There is an ignition source.
    • There is sufficient molecular energy to sustain the explosive reaction..
    ".........there is only one way to find out."
    "Ok, hold my beer and watch this.........."

Ford 5500 Backhoe
    Kubota L3400GST W/LA463 FEL
    2005 Dodge 3500 4x4 Diesel
    8N Rebuilt and restored
    Bushhog 306
    3 Homemade wood hauling trailers
    Dolmar 6400 84cc ported
    Sachs-Dolmar 120SI Ported
    (4) Sachs-Dolmar 116SI Ported
    Dolmar PS540
    Sachs-Dolmar 115i
    Sachs-Dolmar 117
    Sachs-Dolmar 112

Tractor
    Kubota l3400

More:

Pyrolysis is defined as the irreversible chemical decomposition of a material under the sole action of heat.
    In the case of a tire, degradation of the rubber takes place. This phenomenon occurs:
    n when the temperature inside the tire reaches 185C
    n in the absence of oxygen (inflation with nitrogen does not eliminate the phenomenon of pyrolysis)
    n in a few seconds.
    Also, this phenomenon leads to a degradation of the tire’s chemical and mechanical properties, which
    can occur gradually and whose effects can be cumulative following several overheating events.
    ".........there is only one way to find out."
    "Ok, hold my beer and watch this.........."

Ford 5500 Backhoe
    Kubota L3400GST W/LA463 FEL
    2005 Dodge 3500 4x4 Diesel
    8N Rebuilt and restored
    Bushhog 306
    3 Homemade wood hauling trailers
    Dolmar 6400 84cc ported
    Sachs-Dolmar 120SI Ported
    (4) Sachs-Dolmar 116SI Ported
    Dolmar PS540
    Sachs-Dolmar 115i
    Sachs-Dolmar 117
    Sachs-Dolmar 112

Tractor
    Kubota L3010DT, Dresser TD7G Dozer

Thanks LD1 - That explains things very well. A lot more than than just hot air. Isn't it.
    "If you're not making any mistakes then you're not doing anything"

L3010DT, Farmi JL290 Winch, ATI Grapple, BearCat 5" Chipper, 6' Rear Blade,
    7' Sickle Bar, 5' Land Plane Grading Scraper, Dresser TD7G Dozer

Tractor
    2009 Kubota RTV 900, 2009 Kubota B26 TLB & 2010 model LS P7010

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Fowler View Post
    If I were to weld on the stem protectors, I would let out the air pressure but leave the water in to keep the rim cooler so it doesnt damage the tire bead. .
    That is why I suggested leaving the water in the tire to keep everything cool. You dont need a lot of welding to hold these on just a couple of tacks which isnt going to heat up the air to any higher temp than running down the road. If no water in the tire, put some wet rags as close to the weld area as possible to keep it cool and just run a 1/4" weld at a time and cool in between passes.
    You will burn off all the paint inside if not immersed in water which could cause some rusting around the area from inside out. Best thing would be to break the bead on that side and compress the tire enough so you can brush off the old burned paint and repaint it after welding.
    I forget a lot of times that some of the welders on TBN dont always have my welding skills, but it is still a pretty simple tack weld job to do and with water in the tire, in my case I would just weld it on without depressurizing and clean the slag, paint and call it good. Rims look to be about 1/8" thick so burn thru is not going to be a problem for a welder with stick and Mig would be super easy.
    2010 LS P-7010C 20F/20R gear tractor & FEL, 2009 Kubota B 26 TLB, RTV 900 Kubota,17 foot Lund boat with 70HP motor, 2012-20 ft 12k GVW trailer, 2011- 52" Craftsman ZTR mower, 2013 Ferris Zero Turn, 3 weed whackers, pressure washer, leaf blowers, 7 foot bush hog, 8 foot landscape rake , 8 foot 3 PH disc, 2 row cultivator, 350 amp Miller AC/DC welding machine and all the tools needed to keep them all repaired and running.

My plan was to lay the tire on it's side and debead the tire on one side so I could just use a board or something to keep the tire away from the steel. I figure it'll be a good time to replace the stem anyway if you don't have tubes.
    Kubota L4240,Case 580K backhoe, Case 450 Dozer

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast