Kubota VS Mahindra Max

/ Kubota VS Mahindra Max #121  
Totally Agree with this. Also a substantial part of why I said in this, or another thread, that IMHO, Japan put's out some of the finest tractors in the SCUT, CUT class, and is the standard by which all others SCUT, CUT's are measured.

"Coming Down On" intimates that "Everyone" is berating, or belittling Mahindra. I honestly do not believe that is the case for the Majority of people. I can say with supreme confidence that is not the case with myself.

So here is the distinction as I see it. And this is coming from looking for a solid year and a half at the SCUT, and more recently small CUT class.

The Mahindra MAX for example, in my opinion, is primitive in its finish. I have many reasons for saying this, None of which you would probably see Eye to Eye with me on. And that's fine. My opinion on the "Refinement" of the Mahindra speaks nothing at all to the over all quality of the tractor. I am confident that they are fine tractors. I have said it a dozen times now, NOBODY really makes a terrible tractor now a days. They are all just different flavors. But for myself, they lack certain things that keep me from ever wanting to own one. But none of that is important. To your point, I don't think its a matter of belittling the Mahindra. I think it's more a matter that generally speaking, people feel that they lack refinement. Nothing more.

My counter question would be, why does that opinion extort so much contempt from avid supporters?
Perhaps you could describe what you mean by refinement.

/ Kubota VS Mahindra Max #122  
My counter question would be, why does that opinion extort so much contempt from avid supporters?

I would say a lot of people here take pride in the choice they made when buying their tractor. Everybody evaluates the merits of each brand differently, and in their minds, they made the obvious choice. The problem is, it can't be obvious to everybody or we'd all have the same machines. When people say they chose something different because they valued the pros and cons differently, I think some people take that as they made the wrong choice. Then again, some people do almost come out and say my choice is better than yours, and that's kind of what's lead us down this rabbit hole.

As for the refinment of Mahindra, I don't have any experience to say. There was no Mahindra dealer in my area at the time (there is now) and the Maxx wasn't around. I never looked at them. They spec out close to Kioti tractors and they're closely priced as well, so they're obviously my type of tractor, heavy and strong. They'd be on my list of options if I was shopping and I'd suggest people check them out if they asked me.

/ Kubota VS Mahindra Max #123  
Perhaps you could describe what you mean by refinement.

I have in other posts, specifically on the Mahindra MAX, but come to think of it, I think that was MTF.

I would be happy to go into detail on all of the things I didn't like about the Mahindra MAX if you would like. (I have time =)). But as is the case with most commentary, it's just my opinion, opinions that not everyone shares.

I think the point I was trying to make is not about "MY" opinions, it's about what the General Opinion of the greater population.

Speaking from a #'s perspective, it is not opinion that Kubota sells more SCUT, CUT tractors then,, anyone let alone Mahindra. Why is that? Well, there are more then one reason, but one of those reasons is this very topic we are speaking about. Refinement.

Many people make the argument that Mahindra is the #4 seller of tractors in the USA. And that they are poised to jump ahead in the future. And that is fine. If they do, then I will be the first one looking at them. But we are not living in the future yet, we are living now. And for now, they lack refinement that would otherwise change my mind about owning one. I think the numbers support the notion that this opinion is shared by many, but not all.

/ Kubota VS Mahindra Max #124  
I have in other posts, specifically on the Mahindra MAX, but come to think of it, I think that was MTF.

I would be happy to go into detail on all of the things I didn't like about the Mahindra MAX if you would like. (I have time =)). But as is the case with most commentary, it's just my opinion, opinions that not everyone shares.

I think the point I was trying to make is not about "MY" opinions, it's about what the General Opinion of the greater population.

Speaking from a #'s perspective, it is not opinion that Kubota sells more SCUT, CUT tractors then,, anyone let alone Mahindra. Why is that? Well, there are more then one reason, but one of those reasons is this very topic we are speaking about. Refinement.

Many people make the argument that Mahindra is the #4 seller of tractors in the USA. And that they are poised to jump ahead in the future. And that is fine. If they do, then I will be the first one looking at them. But we are not living in the future yet, we are living now. And for now, they lack refinement that would otherwise change my mind about owning one. I think the numbers support the notion that this opinion is shared by many, but not all.
So, just what refinements would be required for you to change your mind?

/ Kubota VS Mahindra Max #125  

You have been on this forum for what ? 1 month and more than 50 of your posts are on this thread. I think you joined this forum just to stir the pot with your BS.:stirthepot:

/ Kubota VS Mahindra Max #126  
I would say a lot of people here take pride in the choice they made when buying their tractor. Everybody evaluates the merits of each brand differently, and in their minds, they made the obvious choice. The problem is, it can't be obvious to everybody or we'd all have the same machines. When people say they chose something different because they valued the pros and cons differently, I think some people take that as they made the wrong choice. Then again, some people do almost come out and say my choice is better than yours, and that's kind of what's lead us down this rabbit hole.

THANK YOU! Thank you for putting that out there. Now we are getting to the heart of things. I totally agree with ^. This strikes to the core of an "Argument" I was having in another thread with a guy that is looking for advice on buying a new SCUT/CUT tractor. TOO often in these forums, people lead with, and stick to emotion. People won't come right out and say it, but the real reason people react with contempt is precisely what you just stated. But you can't have any constructive conversation when the opposing side, or should I say the side advocating what I call Economy Tractors, only reply with emotion out of some misplaced sense that they have been attacked. I said it there and I will say it here. Once people get over themselves, there is a valid conversation to be had. One supported not just by opinion, but by actual substance. I am not new to forums. I participate in MANY. But I am always surprised at how difficult it is to draw out substance. I am often forced to conclude that many Advocates for what ever we may be talking about don't honestly understand themselves why they are advocates. They certainly don't seem to possess the means to explain their side of it. It always deteriorates into grade school shouting.

So Thank you for saying this.

EDIT: Murph, and Mike if you happen to read this. I won't bother directly responding to you guys anymore, and ^ THIS is precisely why. Stirring the Pot Murph? Thanks for proving my point. Your last 3 posts directed at me have been nothing more then attacks. No substance. Honestly, you are THE LAST type of person that I would want to take advice from. Because the only advice you have comes directly from your heart, not from a place of honesty.

Edit 2: Fildreport added to the ignore list. And for the record, I have had in my 59 previous posts, elicited 3 private emails telling me I am spot on. Guess I am not the only one that likes to hear myself.

Last edited:
   / Kubota VS Mahindra Max #127  
You have been on this forum for what ? 1 month and more than 50 of your posts are on this thread. I think you joined this forum just to stir the pot with your BS.:stirthepot:

Stir the pot, yes but boy does he like to hear himself.

/ Kubota VS Mahindra Max #128  
But you can't have any constructive conversation when the opposing side, or should I say the side advocating what I call Economy Tractors,...

You're welcome, but this part of what you say is also why people can sometimes get their backs up. You need to realize there are "Economy Tractor" from Kubota as well as other "Name brand" "premium" tractor manufactures like JD. The Standard L line is the "Economy" cousin of the grand L line and the 3032E & 3038E from JD are the "Economy" cousins of the 3000 series. In both cases they are more bare bones tractors and marketed to people who want a bare bones tractor but they cut some corners in some cases to reduce costs and lower price. They are there to help fill in a price point for people unwilling to pay the premium price that these brands command.

Weekend warriors who spend $20-$40K don't want to be told they have an "Economy" tractor, actually, I don't think anybody does.

/ Kubota VS Mahindra Max #129  
THANK YOU! Thank you for putting that out there. Now we are getting to the heart of things. I totally agree with ^. This strikes to the core of an "Argument" I was having in another thread with a guy that is looking for advice on buying a new SCUT/CUT tractor. TOO often in these forums, people lead with, and stick to emotion. People won't come right out and say it, but the real reason people react with contempt is precisely what you just stated. But you can't have any constructive conversation when the opposing side, or should I say the side advocating what I call Economy Tractors, only reply with emotion out of some misplaced sense that they have been attacked. I said it there and I will say it here. Once people get over themselves, there is a valid conversation to be had. One supported not just by opinion, but by actual substance. I am not new to forums. I participate in MANY. But I am always surprised at how difficult it is to draw out substance. I am often forced to conclude that many Advocates for what ever we may be talking about don't honestly understand themselves why they are advocates. They certainly don't seem to possess the means to explain their side of it. It always deteriorates into grade school shouting.

So Thank you for saying this.

EDIT: Murph, and Mike if you happen to read this. I won't bother directly responding to you guys anymore, and ^ THIS is precisely why. Stirring the Pot Murph? Thanks for proving my point. Your last 3 posts directed at me have been nothing more then attacks. No substance. Honestly, you are THE LAST type of person that I would want to take advice from. Because the only advice you have comes directly from your heart, not from a place of honesty.

Edit 2: Fildreport added to the ignore list. And for the record, I have had in my 59 previous posts, elicited 3 private emails telling me I am spot on. Guess I am not the only one that likes to hear myself.

You won't respond cause you know I'm right. You have been on this Forum for less than 2 weeks and over 95% of your posts are on this thread crying about what Don said about a tractor you don't even own. Put me on the list too.

/ Kubota VS Mahindra Max #130  
So, just what refinements would be required for you to change your mind?

For what it's worth,

The MAX 25 is HEAVY. Mahindra touts this as a positive. They use it as support for "How Well Built" the MAX is. But there are two things here, They want to call the MAX a SCUT. MOST people looking for a SCUT class tractor do not want a 1700 LB Bare tractor. As far as SCUT's go, this is a negative to me. On the other side of the argument, the MAX 25 is a CUT as far as I am concerned, and the Weight makes sense as such. However, Kubota pointed out, and rightly so, that the Mahindra is under powered, power to weight ratio, compared to other comparable tractors by other brands. Please note, I am not commenting on rather or not the tractor has enough power. Maybe it does, maybe it does not. But I do feel that compared to other brands, the Power the MAX does have is not some super selling point.

Huge rear tires, "For a Scut", and no rear fenders. Yes, the MAX has fenders, but like 90% of the tire is exposed. I don't like this.

The placement of the brake peddel, and the fact that they give you right and left braking, but place it on the same side as the forward reverse pedals is just stupid. Yes, this stupid design is shared by some other brands, and it's just as stupid on them. I have to swing my left leg over to the right side in order to get any use out of right and left braking. Why? In fact, why give Right and left braking on a "SCUT" anyhow? Are you plowing fields with your SCUT? That was the original purpose back in the days of 2WD Farm Tractors. They should have saved the money adding this, and gave you a proper forward pedal.

Which leads me to my next complaint. What the heck is up with the wire rod for the foot pedals? Is it functional? I guess so, but it's pretty dang UNREFINED in my book. I don't like it.

The FEL has all flexible Hydraulic line stuck to it. Why? When every other SCUT has Hard line, and every other CUT has hard line on the FEL. This was clearly a step backwards and likely done as a cost saving measure. I don't like it.

Further on the FEL, that is one heck of a loader control set up. The valve is jacked off a steel stand off, with about the most basic handle you could find sticking off the valve. Again, function? Yea I guess so, but I have seen and operated much cleaner and better fitting designs. Is this the way we build things in 2013? On a totally redesigned from the ground up tractor? I don't like it.

The control lay out is awkward. People that like the MAX disagree, I get it. But it makes me think of the tractor design they were using in the 1940's. It's old fashioned and not as comfortable to me.

The hood is flimsy. When you lift it, it rocks back and forth and feels like it was just thrown together hap hazard. I don't like it.

Max brags about how easy it is to work on the engin, and sees the "Backwards Desing" of other brands as somehow a negative. There is a reason the radiator is in the back on other brands. It shields the radiator from taking on laundry Lint when mowing the lawn, and it pulls the air from the cockpit through the engine and passes the hot air out the front. This is LESS refined in my book to mount the engine the same way they have been doing it for 100 years.

The Diff Loc lever is in the back of the cockpit. You have to pull your foot back, and lean forward to apply pressure to the foot control. Why not put it up front where you just have to move your foot 1 inch to catch it. And instead of having to lean forward to apply weight, you can push back naturally into your seat. I don't like it.

The lights on the fender are an absolute joke. Both the light quality and the placement. They are begging to be smashed.

The MMM height adjustment is NEOLITHIC. Mahindra, you are seriously going to use the draw bar in the MMM height adjustment scheme? I don't like it.

The way the Backhoe attaches to the MAX, now here is an interesting question. My local dealer claims he has NO IDEA how the backhoe attaches the the MAX 25, as he has never sold one with a hoe. He can't speak to how easy or not easy it is to take on and off. He was not certain if the 3 point hitch arms had to come off or not. I heard through someone else that the arms can stay on, but it's actually less of a pain in the but to simply take them off. The hoe connects to the tractor by an under carriage mount. It is unclear if this has to come off in order to mount the MMM. Oddly enough, with all the videos available on line, NOT ONE showing how to take the hoe on and off. And my local dealer can't give me even the first clue how to do it? I would call the Service primitive also.

Looks mean something to me. I certainly would not overlook and ugly tractor if it had everything else going for it. But, it is a factor non the less. Along with the cockpit layout, the whole tractor looks OLD. The Mahindra Max Series was supposed to be a completely new development from the ground up. (I do not buy this, I think they took an existing tractor and put new tires on it, but that's another thread). For being a completely new tractor, this thing is dated. I don't like it.

The advertising campaign for the MAX series is simply misleading and distasteful. This says a lot to me about what the core values at Mahindra are. And I do not share them. Between Don and my local Dealer, they have both shown utter contempt for any other brand of tractor and non Mahindra branded/sanctioned attachments. If you need a demonstration of unprofessional-ism, see Don's No More BX/S video. The core values of the company are Primitive, and I don't like it.

Now before you tell me that many other brands, share many of the same traits I have listed here, I am not denying that. But in totality, the Mahindra showed me it's true colors. It is not a new tractor in my opinion, it is an old tractor with a few changes to it. It was a tractor designed for the Asian market from whence it came, namely India. And the total package added up to be much less appealing to me then many other choices available.

These are my Opinions. You asked me for them, and I have put them forth. Please note that I never once said that the Mahindra is not a solid tractor, nor did I say that people should not buy it if it works for them. But at the same time, I think quite a few people share many of the same opinions.

Last edited: