New L3130 Owner Discovers Low - Film at 11.

/ New L3130 Owner Discovers Low - Film at 11. #1  

icat

Gold Member
Tractor
Kubota L3130 HST
Woa! Look out world. Found Low on the new L3130 this weekend. What a blast! Yes, I know. It's been there all along - just never used it. /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Got 5 plus hours in this weekend reclaiming pasture from those pesky Huisache trees. Had a bunch that were too big for the cutter (Bush Hog SQ600). Some of those trees were 3" in diameter with 5 or more sub stalks (the trees are more like huge bushes than anything else). I had been knocking them down with the FEL and then taking small bites until I could chew them up. But I thought I'd try "digging" one out just to see what would happed.

The "test" tree was about 8 foot high and was easily knocked over by the FEL, but the darn things are very green and tend to just bend. I put the FEL to work and started to dig but I really didn't seem to be getting any where. The tractor was bogging down too soon. So, I'm thinking - maybe this is what Low is for.

Oh Yea! Now we're talking. What a difference. I was popping those trees right out of the ground! And digging - man does that tractor like to dig! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Also had a chance to run the L3130 at the hill in back of the property. I've been noticing that some have been questioning the L3130's climing prowless. Well, I have a fairly steep grade that goes into the valley and driving up the hill was no problem at all for the L3130 - and that was with the FEL and Bush Hog attached - in Medium no less! The tractor climbs like a mountain goat. Either my tractor is a one in a million super L3130 or somebody's not in the right gear. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

/ New L3130 Owner Discovers Low - Film at 11. #2  
I use low on my L3830 to do much the same and also find the toothbar a tremendous advantage. Do you have a toothbar?

/ New L3130 Owner Discovers Low - Film at 11.
Toothbar - we don't need no stinkn' toothbar! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Actually, I'm looking to pick one up soon. For right now though, I think I might want to pick up a rake. Pushing the downed trees to the brush pile with the FEL isn't the most efficent use of time! /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

/ New L3130 Owner Discovers Low - Film at 11. #4  
I'm getting a new 3830 next week, with the wear blade on the HD bucket and a boxblade. I decided to postpone a purchase of a toothbar and landscape rake until I really needed them. However, looking at all the thatch buildup below the weeds in the pastures, perhaps putting off a rake purchase isn't the best idea.

For those of you who have a 3pt rake, how useful is it in removing thatch buildup?

/ New L3130 Owner Discovers Low - Film at 11. #5  
I found that using the toothbar to pick up the trees and also to comb the soil afterwards a great asset. The toothbar makes a poor mans 4N1, well, maybe 2N1. The landscape rakes are great for some things and a pain for others. Getting off the tractor to clean off the debris buildup can be a problem with some material. I use my boxscraper rippers to do the really big clean up since the rippers are hydraulic, its easy to dump the debris in a pile by lifting the collected roots branches etc., caught in the rippers by retracting them. After that, a rake would be deluxe. Rat.

Toothbar as a rake? You know, that might just be the ticket. The limbs kept "rolling" out from under the bucket when I was pushing them. Might be able to snag them better if I had a toothbar. Plus, that keeps me from having to remove the Bush Hog.

/ New L3130 Owner Discovers Low - Film at 11. #7  
The toothbar is from my L48 which had so much loader that it bent the teeth up. The L3830 won't come close to tearing it up. It really helps with digging and ripping out the roots or clearing the area when used in a back dragging setup. My tooth bar installs in seconds with the help of my impact wrench. Its been great addition that is usually left on. Anyway, its pretty cheap, as I recall about $300 delivered. Mine is 72". Rat...

Rat,
Do you recall where you got the toothbar? Is around $300 the "standard" price for a toothbar?

/ New L3130 Owner Discovers Low - Film at 11. #9  
I paid about $250 for mine. Stick a tooth right at the base and curl/lift and they come right out. I've pulled out many trees with 3-4'+ long tap roots. Look like huge carrots to me.