Glow plugs actually do something!

/ Glow plugs actually do something! #1  

Jay4200

Veteran Member
Tractor
L4200GST w/ LA680 & BX2200D w/ LA211
My GP controller stopped working a couple of years ago. My tractor started through the winters anyway - it is an awesome machine with a super-tight engine after 2600 hours :).

I recently put on a cab f'glass canopy with front & rear facing spot lights, so I can run my snowblower at night (rocker switches on the left side of the console). While I was at it, I bypassed the dead controller with a momentary switch (big black button under the key switch in the pic), to assure reliable starting at night (when it is f'n cold). I press the big fat button with the key on, and the glow plug light turns on. I didn't know if the plugs were actually working though, and couldn't figure out any easy way to test them.

SO - a few weeks back, when it was somewhere in the 15-20F range, I gave the key a turn for a second or two - my tractor chugged, but I could tell I was looking at a 10-15 second start time (as it does when it is cold). I then pressed the GP button for 3 seconds and turned the key. "VAROOOOM!!" Instant start - engine couldn't have made more than a quarter-revolution. Looks like they're working to me!! How cool is that!

JayC

PS - please don't make fun of my ratty seat cover. A new seat is the next present my tractor is getting...

Attachments

• IMG_0438.jpg
    IMG_0438.jpg
    267.9 KB · Views: 542
   / Glow plugs actually do something! #2  
When you get that diesel running it's the sound of music........

/ Glow plugs actually do something! #3  
Thats great.
My TYM 233 won't hardly start when its cold at 50 degrees. Glow plug relay went out this fall and found out the hard way! Replaced it, and tractor starts right up even when freezing.

/ Glow plugs actually do something! #4  
I could pick on you for thinking Southern NH gets fn cold but I'll be nice. GPs are really nice when it's cold out and sure help them start.

/ Glow plugs actually do something! #5  
Do they put 12V glow plugs on these tractors? I had an 85 GMC w/ a 6.2 diesel in it. I would cycle the glow plugs several times and still couldn't start it very well. I finally added an old starter motor solenoid and wired in a momentary switch on my dash and I'd run it a tad longer. That worked ok for a year or 2, but then I burned out the glow plugs. Turns out that in order for them to work "quickly", GMC put in 6 volt plugs and when I applied 12V to them too long, poof.

/ Glow plugs actually do something!
Do they put 12V glow plugs on these tractors?

Mine are 12V, yes. One end of the plugs are tied to the 12V rail, and the controller simply shorts the other end of the plug to ground via a transistor. The indicator light is similarly engaged. I simply sorted both controller outputs together, and tied that node through the switch to ground.

JayC

/ Glow plugs actually do something! #7  
You guys make me wonder if my TM273 glow plugs are bad. Mine is very hard starting. I had a tractor mechanic look at it and he added a heater to the radiator hose. Plug it in for a couple hours and it starts up great but it needs to be heated up befroe it will start. Once it is running it will start up great until it cools down. Where is the GP relay located?

/ Glow plugs actually do something! #8  
Just replaced 2 dead Glow Plugs and what a difference the starting pocess is now. Actualy, I changed all three after testing two of the defective.