Wood chipper

/ Wood chipper #1  

4shorts

Elite Member
Tractor
Kubota 5740,BX25D
Ok guys here's the situation.

Picking up a little BX25D and I need to get your opinions on a wood chipper for it. PTO driven. Hydraulic feed or none hydraulic feed? Brand? Is it even worth putting a chipper on a Bx25?
Can't see needing anything that will chip anything over 4" and the average will be 2".

/ Wood chipper #2  
I got one word for you, "Wallenstein." They make a good chipper. And better yet, an outfit named Woodward Crossings in PA sells em for almost cost. I would contact them if I would you. On YouTube a guy made a video of his BX24 and a Wallenstein Chipper. You get to see how it would work for your BX25. For me, I wouldn't recommend the hydraulic feed: it's more money and something else to go wrong.
I bought a used Patu Chipper for my B3030. I figure that every 6 months we seem to get the storm of the century, so I want to be ready.
Good luck.
Attached is pic of my chipper.

Attachments

• Kubota B3030 & Patu Wood Chipper.jpg
    Kubota B3030 & Patu Wood Chipper.jpg
    98.3 KB · Views: 887
   / Wood chipper #3  
4shorts-

I'd consider AStanton's suggestion. The Wallenstein chippers get very good comments from their owners on here. The intake chute on their 4" chipper is 4"x10", I believe. This is a huge help when you have gnarly, twisty limbs to feed in. Much less trimming to fit stuff in there. The 360 degree rotating chute is very handy, too - it allows me to feed the chips directly into my trailer. I was all set to get one, but wound up getting a used Patu (just like AStanton's) that was going for a good price locally. My only regret with the Patu is having lots of pin oak and having a 4"x4" feed chute, and not that 4"x10" on the Wallenstein. So the loppers and limbing saw get more work, even with some of the 2" twisty stuff we grow.

If the blades are sharp, the Patu self feeds, and I think the Wally does the same, so the hydraulics may be overkill unless you are using the chipper as part of a landscaping business and really racking up the hours. It adds substantially to the cost. The BX25 should have no problem running a 4" chipper as long as the blades are kept sharp. From what I've seen of your operation, I have no doubt that you would do no less.

P3180015.JPG

/ Wood chipper #4  
I bought a used Valby 150, manual feed. It supposedly will do 6" and is a manual feed.Valbys have a belt drive which right after I got it, I wasn't paying attention to belt tension and smoked one of four-not a fun job to change as the pully that connects to the drive shaft is a heavy dude and the flywheel weighs like 210 lbs.

In any case machine is rated for tractors I believe with a min of 45 PTO horses. My son has been using it with his JD 2520 which I think is 22 HP PTO and it works fine on 2-3" stuff. I would assume your tractor is in that range? I agree with comments on hyd feed-nice to have but for less than professional service, and if knives are kept reasonably sharp, manual works. The Wallensteins also look like they have pretty good specs-in particular with respect to flywheel weight. I trhink that is key to good performance. I was looking for a used Valby or Patu but I think the Wallenstien is also a good bet

/ Wood chipper #5  
I used a 4 inch Wallenstein on my BX25,when I had it,and it seemed to work fine.You will need to run the BX at full throttle and make sure the blades are sharp,as others have said.The only problem I had was the blade clearance getting too big.This allowed the finer twigs to go through without being mulched up enough and plugging the chute.After adjusting the clearance everything was fine and I kept a check on it after that.

/ Wood chipper #6  
Also, take a look at the Woods 5000 chipper/shredder. These are rated at 15 to 30-35 PTO HP maximum.
If you're like most residential owners, you'll have a mix of larger branches (the 4" stuff) and a lot of twigs and such. Chipper/Shredders work great for general clean up.

/ Wood chipper
Thanks guys for your imput and experiences. Nice to hear first hand how these things perform. I'm in no rush for one. I got at least four months before I need it. I might look around and see what's in the used market. If I see a large one I will use it on the Kubota 5740 and if I only see a smaller unit I'll get it for the BX25. Having time to sit back and look for a used one is a nice advantage to have. Much appreciated :thumbsup:

/ Wood chipper
Also, take a look at the Woods 5000 chipper/shredder. These are rated at 15 to 30-35 PTO HP maximum.
If you're like most residential owners, you'll have a mix of larger branches (the 4" stuff) and a lot of twigs and such. Chipper/Shredders work great for general clean up.

Thanks Roy. That's about the type of use I'll be needing it for. I'm heading in to the dealer tomorrow to pay for the BX because of years end for them plus pricing might change in January. I'll ask the Kubota boys what they've sold in chippers/shredders and report back with my findings to get everyone's opinion on it. :dance1:

/ Wood chipper #9  
Another vote for Wallenstein from contented owner of a model BX42s. I think this model will run FINE behind your BX25. And, yes, that 4" X 10" mouth to the chipper knives is a BIG positive.

The rotor/flywheel on the BX42 weights 110 pounds, the heaviest in 4-5" class. Once the PTO has rotor spinning at 540 RPM the inertia power of the revolving rotor, not the tractor engine, is supplying most of the energy to the four chipping knives bolted to the rotor.

Wallenstein chippers are manufactured by EMB Manufacturing in St. Clements, Ontario, so you likely can purchase cheaper in Canada. PH: (519) 699-9283

I store mine on a dolly in the garage. Lesser implements remain outside under canvas.

I replaced Kubota factory "check chains" with pin-adjustable, rigid, stabilizers from Stabilworks. Stabilworks' mechs make loading implements onto the three point hitch a breeze. Well worth <$200. Stabilworks' mechs also strengthen bracing of lift arms by 50%.

LINK:

Kubota tractor stabilizers Kubota [url]www.stabilworks.com - YouTube[/url]

My tractor is a Kubota B3300SU / 33-hp---> 25-hp PTO / 1,800 pounds.

Shoot, I may as well plug excellent MUTS (Canadian built) trailer too. Great for hauling/dumping chips.

LINK:

MUTS - Multi-Use Trailer System for your ATV, Quad and 4 Wheeler - Welcome

Attachments

• IMG_0463.jpg
    IMG_0463.jpg
    85.2 KB · Views: 567
  • IMG_0465.JPG
    IMG_0465.JPG
    67.6 KB · Views: 478
  • IMG_0484.JPG
    IMG_0484.JPG
    108.8 KB · Views: 370
  • IMG_0488.JPG
    IMG_0488.JPG
    112.4 KB · Views: 530
  • IMG_0489.JPG
    IMG_0489.JPG
    96.5 KB · Views: 412
  • IMG_0490.JPG
    IMG_0490.JPG
    106.6 KB · Views: 512
  • IMG_0377.JPG
    IMG_0377.JPG
    111.3 KB · Views: 355
  • IMG_0485.JPG
    IMG_0485.JPG
    118.2 KB · Views: 387
Last edited:
   / Wood chipper
Another vote for Wallenstein from contented owner of a model BX42. I think this model will run FINE behind your BX25. And, yes, that 4" X 10" mouth to the chipper knives is a BIG positive.

The rotor/flywheel on the BX42 weights 110 pounds, the heaviest in 4-5" class. Once the PTO has rotor spinning at 540 RPM the inertia power of the rotor, not the tractor engine, is supplying most of the energy to the four chipping knives bolted to the rotor.

Wallenstein chippers are manufactured by EMB Manufacturing in St. Clements, Ontario, so you likely can purchase cheaper in Canada. PH: (519) 699-9283

I store mine on a dolly in the garage. Lesser implements remain outside under canvas.

I replaced Kubota factory "check chains" with pin-adjustable, rigid, stabilizers from Stabilworks. Stabilworks' mechs make loading implements onto the three point hitch a breeze. Well worth <$200. Stabilworks' mechs also strengthen bracing of lift arms by 50%.

LINK:

Kubota tractor stabilizers Kubota [url]www.stabilworks.com - YouTube[/url]

My tractor is a Kubota B3300SU / 33-hp---> 25-hp PTO / 1,800 pounds.

Shoot, I may as well plug excellent MUTS (Canadian built) trailer too. Great for hauling/dumping chips.

LINK:

MUTS - Multi-Use Trailer System for your ATV, Quad and 4 Wheeler - Welcome

Thanks Jeff. That's a great bit of info. Thanks for taking the time to post it. It's going to be Wallenstein for me as well. I'll give them a call after the New Years holiday. Thanks.
Paul