Sorting out rear wheel spacings on Grand L

/ Sorting out rear wheel spacings on Grand L #1  

dstig1

Elite Member
Tractor
Kubota L5240 HSTC, JD X738 Mower, (Kubota L3130 HST - sold)
OK, I need to add chains to my Grand L3130. I am storing it at a friends house at the moment with the condition that he can use it for snow clearing this winter. Steep drive, ice has become an issue. I bought chains that were shipped directly to him. Fronts were no problem to mount (Ags - 8x 16 front, 14.9x24 rear) but the rears don't quite clear the fenders (Some bracket hitting). I have never changed the rear tire spacing from what I got it as, and they are now quite heavy as the rears are filled with Rimguard (somewhere in the 700-800 lb each range, total). The page in the owners manual is pretty cryptic as it shows a couple different orientations but not very clearly. I had to look at it 5 times to actually realize there was a difference in the 3 positions they were showing, I'm not even sure which setting it is on, but it isn't the widest, for sure. Does anyone have any photos or explanation as to what is what with this? The manual is not real clear so I am looking for a bit more to go on...

Thanks!
Dave

/ Sorting out rear wheel spacings on Grand L #3  
On my 4240 you need to swap wheels from side to side. There's 6 bolts between the outer rim and the large center section. The outer rim has brackets welded to it that have two holes. If your tires are filled you'll have to have help to keep them upright as you roll them from side to side. Not sure if there's any other way of doing it.

/ Sorting out rear wheel spacings on Grand L #4  
Need a picture of how it is set up now to see what needs to be done as was mentioned, you may need to swap sides or may not depending on if this has been done or you may just need to flip the center dish depending on how much room you need.

When dealing with tires agree with crazyal, you really need some help or equipment as if the tires are loaded will be pretty heavy. It can be done by one person with experience, my brother has plenty of experience, but now uses an engine hoist, not worth the risk if it can be avoided.

/ Sorting out rear wheel spacings on Grand L
Thanks for the tips. Will definitely have help. These are 14.9-24 filled with Rimguard, so pushing 700-800 lbs each... Hopefully 2 of us can handle it.

Here is the best pic I can find.

Tractor (1) (Medium).JPG

/ Sorting out rear wheel spacings on Grand L #6  
You have several wider steps to go... Now you are set for: Dish widest & Rim narrowest.
You can move the Tire + wheel and Dish from teft side to Right side... That will give you Dish Narrowest & Rim widest... That is likely the setting you will want.
But if it isn't you can separate the wheel & dish and get 2 additional settings... KennyV

KennyV - Thanks. Here is what the manual shows, but it is not real clear. It does appear that the central piece (probably what you mean by dish) never changes around and it is just how the rim mounts to the dish that adjusts. Normally, I would just play around with the possible settings to figure out something like this, but with these things being so durn heavy, I'd rather have a good idea of what I am doing before I start in on it.

Rear wheel spacing.jpg

/ Sorting out rear wheel spacings on Grand L #8  
It's a lot nicer if you end up with the tire valve stems on the outside rather than the inside.Good Luck and Happy New Year!

/ Sorting out rear wheel spacings on Grand L #9  
I agree with CrazyAL flip flop the tires from side to side.

As best I can figure from looking at it and puzzling over it, that is what I will be doing. The center disc will stay put, but the rim/tire will be swapped side for side, and bolted up to the outer tabs you see in the photo.

Thanks for the help guys. Surprised the manual didn't show it any better than it does...