Leak at steering cylinder & other ??s

/ Leak at steering cylinder & other ??s
Well, just got the call this morning. BX is done and ready.
They put a complete seal pack in the steering cylinder, so they did both sides.
Checked it out with some hard turns in their yard before I left and all is dry!
They forgot to top off the front axle oil like they said they would :muttering: but I'll let them know and keep that for ammo on something else down the line.
Picked up the angle for my trailer's tailgate supports on the way, but too wet to weld outside today. Tomorrow's forecast is beautiful,
hopefully I can get it done then. Here's a couple pics of the rod ends and at least the new dust seals. The first is the left side where it was leaking, the second is the right. Lots cleaner than before.

Attachments

• P1110305.jpg
    P1110305.jpg
    497 KB · Views: 289
  • P1110306.jpg
    P1110306.jpg
    607.4 KB · Views: 210
   / Leak at steering cylinder & other ??s #22  
Well, just got the call this morning. BX is done and ready.
They put a complete seal pack in the steering cylinder, so they did both sides.
Checked it out with some hard turns in their yard before I left and all is dry!
They forgot to top off the front axle oil like they said they would :muttering: but I'll let them know and keep that for ammo on something else down the line.
Picked up the angle for my trailer's tailgate supports on the way, but too wet to weld outside today. Tomorrow's forecast is beautiful,
hopefully I can get it done then. Here's a couple pics of the rod ends and at least the new dust seals. The first is the left side where it was leaking, the second is the right. Lots cleaner than before.

That's a new boot in the first picture? The rubber is all cracked already!

That's a new boot in the first picture? The rubber is all cracked already!

Relatively new, but the leak was at the cylinder. The boot just protects the u-joint.

/ Leak at steering cylinder & other ??s #24  
I was wondering about the boot too. In the first picture it looks "new". In the second set of pictures after the fix, the boot is cracked in many places.........like it was old and exposed to the elements for quite a while. Did something get switched at the dealer?

I was wondering about the boot too. In the first picture it looks "new". In the second set of pictures after the fix, the boot is cracked in many places.........like it was old and exposed to the elements for quite a while. Did something get switched at the dealer?

I didn't notice that until you just brought it to my attention, dennisgw. Putting in a seal kit, I would expect the cylinder to be rebuilt more or less, not have the rods or rod ends replaced. I'll have to more closely examine it, but from the pics even the stamped numbers don't match. Maybe these rods or ends were cleaner and less pitted then the originals, and being a warranty repair they chose to take a shortcut, but whatever, I should have been told of any change. The joints inside the boots are packed with grease and the boots protect them - but these boots have much more wear than the originals and are certainly apt to wear through much sooner. My dealer will get a call about this and not topping off the front axle too.
This kind of thing really burns me! Thanks for pointing it out.

/ Leak at steering cylinder & other ??s #26  
That was my thought exactly. Without scrolling through to the beginning, I believe I remember you have only 20 hours on it. That boot has been around longer than the tractor.

That was my thought exactly. Without scrolling through to the beginning, I believe I remember you have only 20 hours on it. That boot has been around longer than the tractor.

You're right just 16.3 hrs. When I 1st read your post yesterday I wasn't even focusing on the boot - I was just looking at the seal. Same when I picked it up from the dealer - tunnel-vision, I guess. But now, because of your's and a few other's objective eyes, the entire world and I, even without my glasses on , can see the discrepency. Thank you very much for bringing it to my attention. I called my dealer this morning, but of course they're on winter hours now and closed on Saturdays so will have to wait and take this back up on Mon.

Another compelling reason for anyone owning, contemplating buying or just interested in tractors to join this forum.
The wealth of knowledge, the willingness to share experience and information, the feeling of the entire brotherhood (sisterhood too) of 'having your back'
and, in my case, 'looking out for you' is a very warming feeling in these cold days of the 'new world'. Thank you for letting me be a small part!

Well, just got off the phone with my dealer and he said he remembers my boot looking old and cracked when I brought it in. Everyone here saw the before pic and knows the truth. Anyway, I told him I have pics of before and after and I'd show it to him. He said no need immediately and said he'd already(?) ordered new ball joint boots. Told him they forgot to check and top off the front axle too and asked for a qt of superudt2, and I'd do it, again he said no prob - and there was no need for me to go thru the trouble of hauling her back in, they'd send out the service truck when the parts come in maybe tomorrow or Wed. I feel better, but I'm not counting my chickens yet. Will see how this goes....
Just seems like an awful long way around the barn to get the job done right, when it would have been so much easier at first.
Will post the final outcome in a day or 2. Thanks for eveyone's support and well wishes.

Dealer's service manager called and scheduled mobile tech here for Monday am.
Said they'd replace entire tie-rods(easier to replace than having to split the ball joints to just do boots), and will remember to bring me a qt of sudt for the front axle.
Looks like they're on the right track. Will see on Mon.

Mobile tech got here right on time. Changed out the tie-rods, adjusted the front wheels tow-in and was done in about a half hour's time. Remembered my qt of sudt. All back to normal. Everyone makes mistakes it just matters what they do to fix 'em. They acted appropriately.
Thanks to all for your support and well wishes. KW