Leak at steering cylinder & other ??s

/ Leak at steering cylinder & other ??s #1  

kw22614

Platinum Member
Tractor
Kubota BX1860
Maybe someone can explain to me why my power steering cylinder is leaking.
Some background; I have a brand new, <20hrs, not even broke in Kubota 1860 with FEL. The leak just started maybe 2 days ago and she's just been sitting.
As I understand it - the power steering only is 'power' when the engine is running, and when off - it turns like the old type tractors. My leak only occurs when the motor is running. It leaks when turning the wheel either way AND when it's just sitting straight not touching the wheel. It's comming from the seal where the shaft comes out of the cylinder only on the left (driver's) side. There's no visible damage to the seal, it looks exactly like the seal on the right side that's not leaking. The tractor has just been sitting for the last several days, unless a gremlin got inside and chewed my seal I have no clue what happened. Any ideas??

Also I've looked all thru my owner's manual and there's no mention of a power steering pump or resevoir to check the level. Anyone have an idea where it is, I've crawled all over and under looking for it.

Lastly, I know - most stupid question but, is the transmission and the hydraulic pump the same? Again in my owner's manual, all it talks about is checking the trans oil level at the dipstick in the back at the PTO, there's no mention at all about a hydraulic pump and resevoir.

Any help/info/advice is most appreciated. Happy New Year!

/ Leak at steering cylinder & other ??s #2  
Lastly, I know - most stupid question but, is the transmission and the hydraulic pump the same? Again in my owner's manual, all it talks about is checking the trans oil level at the dipstick in the back at the PTO, there's no mention at all about a hydraulic pump and resevoir.

Any help/info/advice is most appreciated. Happy New Year!

Yes, the power steering, transmission, loader, and three point hitch all use the same hydro circuit. Not sure why yours is leaking being so new but from reading the forums here others have had issues with those seals. I think they are easy to replace if I remember correctly.

Sent from my iPad using TractorByNet

/ Leak at steering cylinder & other ??s #3  
Your dealer should be only too willing to make that right, considering it's a brand new machine. It may be something simple or may involve a replacement part, but either way, he should be all over it. And Happy New Year!

/ Leak at steering cylinder & other ??s
Thanks for the info Bob & Grandad. Been working on stuff all my life and thought I was going looney!
I plan on calling my dealer first thing tomorrow AM, hope they're not on vacation or something.
Also hope they don't charge me for transport. I reckon we'll see just how good they are. :crossfingers:
Thanks again, Happy New Year!! KW

/ Leak at steering cylinder & other ??s #5  
Thanks for the info Bob & Grandad. Been working on stuff all my life and thought I was going looney!
I plan on calling my dealer first thing tomorrow AM, hope they're not on vacation or something.
Also hope they don't charge me for transport. I reckon we'll see just how good they are. :crossfingers:
Thanks again, Happy New Year!! KW

This should be a warrantee repair like Grandad said. Good luck and if you get a minute post back when the problem is corrected. We all like to hear the final outcome. Pictures are always welcome too! (Hint hint)

This should be a warrantee repair like Grandad said. Good luck and if you get a minute post back when the problem is corrected. We all like to hear the final outcome. Pictures are always welcome too! (Hint hint)

Called my guy at the dealer this morning and yes it's definitely covered by Kubota. Now I just have to figure out how to get it to 'em, or pay their $195 there & back delivery charge. They said it'd be maybe 3 or 4 days to get it done as this is their busy season and they'd replace the seal.
Checked the seal before I called and all was dry. Then I started it and within about 1-2 min it started leaking again.
I'll keep posting as this reaches it's outcome... Here's a few pics so far

Attachments

• PC310293.jpg
    PC310293.jpg
    657 KB · Views: 316
  • P1020295.jpg
    P1020295.jpg
    557.6 KB · Views: 493
  • P1020296.jpg
    P1020296.jpg
    636.2 KB · Views: 1,451
  • P1020297.jpg
    P1020297.jpg
    608.8 KB · Views: 1,566
   / Leak at steering cylinder & other ??s #7  
Called my guy at the dealer this morning and yes it's definitely covered by Kubota. Now I just have to figure out how to get it to 'em, or pay their $195 there & back delivery charge. They said it'd be maybe 3 or 4 days to get it done as this is their busy season and they'd replace the seal.
Checked the seal before I called and all was dry. Then I started it and within about 1-2 min it started leaking again.
I'll keep posting as this reaches it's outcome... Here's a few pics so far

Thanks for the pics., The cylinder rod looks pretty pitted and corroded at the end. I wonder if that could be the reason for the premature failure of the seal? If you turn the wheel all the way does the rough section touch the seal?

Man, $195 for pickup is harsh, especially for a warrantee issue. Wouldn't take to many trips like that to pay for a trailer... Just sayin!

Thanks for the pics., The cylinder rod looks pretty pitted and corroded at the end. I wonder if that could be the reason for the premature failure of the seal? If you turn the wheel all the way does the rough section touch the seal?

Man, $195 for pickup is harsh, especially for a warrantee issue. Wouldn't take to many trips like that to pay for a trailer... Just sayin!

Yea, the rusty, pitted end just touches when all the way in. And this baby lives inside - on a persian carpet no less! Pits didn't come from me.
$195 harsh?? That's their discounted charge and I'm only 15 - 20 miles from 'em. (That's what living 40 miles from DC'll get you!)
I have a 5X10 trailer with 15" wheels and 3500lb axle. Loaded the little girl up (only weighs about 1900lbs), strapped her down and she towed and rode like a dream. I didn't try to break any land speed records. A few more pics...

Attachments

• P1020298.jpg
    P1020298.jpg
    799.9 KB · Views: 289
  • P1020299.jpg
    P1020299.jpg
    1,000.2 KB · Views: 391
  • P1020300.jpg
    P1020300.jpg
    992.7 KB · Views: 274
   / Leak at steering cylinder & other ??s #9  
Yea, the rusty, pitted end just touches when all the way in. And this baby lives inside - on a persian carpet no less
$195 harsh?? That's their discounted charge and I'm only 15 - 20 miles from 'em. (That's what living 40 miles from DC'll get you!)

My dealer has a service truck they send out to do the repair on site for small things like this. I had a warranty repair that they did in my garage and didn't charge me anything. Too late now, and hopefully there won't be a next time, but you might ask if they have such a service.

My dealer has a service truck they send out to do the repair on site for small things like this. I had a warranty repair that they did in my garage and didn't charge me anything. Too late now, and hopefully there won't be a next time, but you might ask if they have such a service.

They do and I did ask, but he said this job can get messy and they can't be responsible for my garage. Just as well, pushed me to load and haul her on the trailer. Now I know it'll tow fine. Till now I thought my trailer was too light. I guess that's the silver lining! Thanks