HOW DO YOU TOW YOUR TRACTOR?

/ HOW DO YOU TOW YOUR TRACTOR? #121  
:DJust wanted to chime in again and explain why I put more weight on the tongue. when I pulled the tractor on forwards (fel to the front), the trailer swayed pretty bad because the majority of the weight was on the back of the trailer (from mid-axle to rear end) this put the trailer in a tongue lifting position, and thus, made the trucks rear end very light (not good). when I put the tractor on as you see in the pictures it seemed to balance out perfectly. I havent done the math or anything, and since I posted this I am definately getting brakes on both axles before I tow again, but the Nissan Titan has a tow capacity of almost 10,000 pounds / heavy duty tow package, and the 4x4 suspension seems to hold the tractor and trailer very well. I may be missing something, and I am by far no expert on this, but any additional constructive ideas or comments are appreciated. I want to keep it safe, but it looks like I may be making some mistakes which I intend to correct asap! Thanks for all the feedback!:confused3:
All attachments must be secured to the trailer via a seperate chain or strap. This includes Bucket, Backhoe, Bushog, ballast box.......any attachment, even if it's hooked to the tractor.

/ HOW DO YOU TOW YOUR TRACTOR? #122  
Definately will. I do have a question.......An L3200 weighs in at 2601#. But I cant find the weight of the LA524 Loader, or the BH77 Backhoe to give me a total weight. Any suggestions?

i couldn't either, but the dealer can - they have shipping weight for attachments. I had them give me the total weight for my B3200 with loader and backhoe and loaded rears it was roughly ballparked at ~4500# which I think you would be close to? This is rough estimate, I have not weighted it on a scale...

/ HOW DO YOU TOW YOUR TRACTOR? #124  
Roger that fireman......I know now that at minimum I should have received a 7500# rated trailer. Gonna be interesting tomorrow.
The dealer should have given you the right sized trailer to safely haul your machine that they sold you. I work as a tech at a heavy equipment dealership I would feel personally embarrassed if a salesman sold a customer a machine and a trailer that wasn't large enough to haul there new machine mainly because I believe it reflects poorly on the dealership, and I have been reprimanded for telling customers if there tow vehicle, trailer, or chaining/strapping isn't up to snuff

/ HOW DO YOU TOW YOUR TRACTOR? #125  
I felt comfortable when I did the following. Took truck to scales, got front and rear axle weight. Took truck and empty trailer to scales, got front and rear axle weight, plus trailer axles weight. Took truck and trailer and loaded tractor to scales, got axle weights again. From this, you can see where your weights are distrubuted. If the truck stop scales are not close to home, you can still do this all in one trip. May cost you 3 time $9.00, but it will keep you from guessing. Anyone towing over 3000 pounds needs to get trailer axle brakes before you cause collateral damage, hurt yourself, or most important, hurt/kill someone else who is innocent to your incompetence. Philip.
If you rearrange your load at the truck stop, it's $9.00 for the first weigh on a CAT scale, and $1.00 for reweighs.

/ HOW DO YOU TOW YOUR TRACTOR? #126  
And I bet the trailer weighs more than 95 lbs so right there your over the trailers 5000 gross weight

yeah - gross weight of TLB plus the trailer's weight and I bet it is getting close to the limits of a 7000# trailer...

/ HOW DO YOU TOW YOUR TRACTOR? #127  
Pappasmurf,
I posted this the other day for you. Weights come from the Kubota dealers price book.

"Your L3200 TLB shipping weight is right at 4400#. Add a full tank of fuel and fluid in the rear tires and you are going to be pushing 5000#. Check the GVW rating of your trailer. It MUST be more than the combined weight of your tractor AND trailer. Looking at the pictures of your trailer, I would think that it has a 7000# GVW. For me, that is TOO close. Definatly brakes on both axles. And yes, I highly reccomend a bucket rest on the tongue. Also use 5/16 G70 chain and ratchet binders."

The tires are good for a 7000# GVW 1820 x 4 = 7280# I w

I would guess that the trailer weighs 800 to 1000 pounds.

/ HOW DO YOU TOW YOUR TRACTOR?
[QUOTE and I have been reprimanded for telling customers if there tow vehicle, trailer, or chaining/strapping isn't up to snuff[/QUOTE]

Thats really sad.....I took the initiative to call about 7 or 8 dealers in my state and ask about their trailer / tractor deals. I asked each one about brakes on the trailer if I bout the L3200 or 3800. Only 2 actually said they only sell a trailer with brakes with a L3200 or L3800. I'm betting that there are hundreds of unknowing customers driving around and towing extremely unsafe trailers with their deal. This Thread has worked out great as a starting point to get the message out there, and I intend on doing just that!

/ HOW DO YOU TOW YOUR TRACTOR? #129  
We haul our own small equipment and according to our insurance guru a load like that would have to be tied down 4 ways and each attachment (FEL and BH would need at least one of their own. I don't know for sure whether this is a PA law or not. Also, I can't imagine towing that load without brakes.
US DOT regulations.

/ HOW DO YOU TOW YOUR TRACTOR? #130  
Thats really sad.....I took the initiative to call about 7 or 8 dealers in my state and ask about their trailer / tractor deals. I asked each one about brakes on the trailer if I bout the L3200 or 3800. Only 2 actually said they only sell a trailer with brakes with a L3200 or L3800. I'm betting that there are hundreds of unknowing customers driving around and towing extremely unsafe trailers with their deal. This Thread has worked out great as a starting point to get the message out there, and I intend on doing just that!

That's pretty ridiculous. When I was shopping for my tractor the dealer I ended up buying from didn't really want me to buy a bigger tractor than the B3300 once I explained I would be moving it a fair amount and what my truck and trailer is - which is basically the same setup as yours except dual axle brakes and WD hitch. I use transport chains and binders too. I am pretty cautious person though and try not to break my equipment by over stressing it, which in the case of trailering a tractor could kill people...

Last edited: