Page 4 of 17 FirstFirst 123456714 ... LastLast
    Gold Member
    Tractor
    2011 KUBOTA L3200 W/ LOADER, BH77 BACKHOE

Default Re: HOW DO YOU TOW YOUR TRACTOR?

Just wanted to chime in again and explain why I put more weight on the tongue. when I pulled the tractor on forwards (fel to the front), the trailer swayed pretty bad because the majority of the weight was on the back of the trailer (from mid-axle to rear end) this put the trailer in a tongue lifting position, and thus, made the trucks rear end very light (not good). when I put the tractor on as you see in the pictures it seemed to balance out perfectly. I havent done the math or anything, and since I posted this I am definately getting brakes on both axles before I tow again, but the Nissan Titan has a tow capacity of almost 10,000 pounds / heavy duty tow package, and the 4x4 suspension seems to hold the tractor and trailer very well. I may be missing something, and I am by far no expert on this, but any additional constructive ideas or comments are appreciated. I want to keep it safe, but it looks like I may be making some mistakes which I intend to correct asap! Thanks for all the feedback!

Tractor
    Kubota MX5100 (50 Hp, 42.5 pto) Kubota BX25D Gravely 2 wheel tractor

I also back my tractor on my trailer - I have an 18' dovetail quad wheel trailer (with brakes) and pull a MX5100 with loader/grapple and rear blade. I back on to put some extra weight on the truck and I never have any issues with sway. I am pulling this combo with a 2012 2500 Dodge Diesel - I did pull it with a 07 Tundra (5.7L long bed 4x4) and while it was within the rating of the truck it just didn't feel real good towing that much weight with that truck, the Dodge just feels MUCH more planted. Guess it is the difference in the weight of the truck as well as a heavier suspension.
    Kubota MX5100
    Kubota BX25D
    Gravely 2 wheel tractor
    Camo RZR4 800LE

Tractor
    Kubota BX2360 & L4240 HSTC

Quote Originally Posted by PAPPASMURF View Post
    Just wanted to chime in again and explain why I put more weight on the tongue. when I pulled the tractor on forwards (fel to the front), the trailer swayed pretty bad because the majority of the weight was on the back of the trailer (from mid-axle to rear end) this put the trailer in a tongue lifting position, and thus, made the trucks rear end very light (not good). when I put the tractor on as you see in the pictures it seemed to balance out perfectly. I havent done the math or anything, and since I posted this I am definately getting brakes on both axles before I tow again, but the Nissan Titan has a tow capacity of almost 10,000 pounds / heavy duty tow package, and the 4x4 suspension seems to hold the tractor and trailer very well. I may be missing something, and I am by far no expert on this, but any additional constructive ideas or comments are appreciated. I want to keep it safe, but it looks like I may be making some mistakes which I intend to correct asap! Thanks for all the feedback!
    You can use a bathroom scale and a 2x4 to check your tongue weight. Determining Trailer Tongue Weight | etrailer.com

Have you considered selling that trailer and getting one with brakes? You will have over $500 in doing the brakes yourself.

Tractor
    Kubota L3940 Ford 8N Ford 6000

I felt comfortable when I did the following. Took truck to scales, got front and rear axle weight. Took truck and empty trailer to scales, got front and rear axle weight, plus trailer axles weight. Took truck and trailer and loaded tractor to scales, got axle weights again. From this, you can see where your weights are distrubuted. If the truck stop scales are not close to home, you can still do this all in one trip. May cost you 3 time $9.00, but it will keep you from guessing. Anyone towing over 3000 pounds needs to get trailer axle brakes before you cause collateral damage, hurt yourself, or most important, hurt/kill someone else who is innocent to your incompetence. Philip.
    Kubota L3940HST-1 2009
    84" front blade
    LA724 loader w/quick attach
    HD 72" round back bucket
    turf tires
    Kubota GR2120 2013
    Ford 8N 1950
    Ford 6000 diesel 1961
    JD L110 2003
    Woods RD7200 finish mower, Land Pride RCR1272 rotary cutter, Bearcat CH5540 5" chipper, L8170 ballast box, 6' Woods pulverizer, 6' Dragon box scrapper with hydraulic rippers, 14" 2 bottom plow, sub-soiler, post hole auger, 3 point pallet forks, 30" rear scoop, 7' Land Pride RB1584 rear blade, 3 point boom pole

Silver Member
    Tractor
    Kubota B7800

Picture this if youcan.
    Brand new (less that 10 hours) Grand L 30 series tractor w/ loader and backhoe and a 72" box scraper all on an new 18', 13000#gvw trailer behind a Ford F250. Scraper sitting on the front of the deck and then the tractor pulled on with the loader bucket sittong on the deck up against the scraper. This puts the backhoe hanging in the air behind the stand up ramps. Pull down the freeway at 65mph and guess what happens. If you guessed total disaster, you are correct. Bent up loader, backhoe, broken rear differential housing, bent wheels. Not a board left on the trailer deck, and both trailer axles bent. And the customer had the guts to blame it all on the trailer brakes not working
    Mike
    B7800 "Drowned Rat"
    It spent 6 weeks under water

Tractor
    2009 Kubota BX25

-img_3055-jpgJust got this brand new, 7,000 lb., 18' car hauler with brakes on both axles, to haul my 2700 lb. kubota BX25 TLB. Lots of capacity to spare, for extra implements. (Already have a rear blower, and probably a box scraper will be next.) I MAY carry the scraper with me when I go to a friend's to help him with his garage pad prep, but it will only weigh less than 500 lbs., so still plenty of leeway. Only paid $3,000 brand new for the trailer, complete with stowable steel ramps!

Here's what I had before:

-091920081843-jpg
    Last edited by check; 01-07-2013 at 01:18 PM.

Tractor
    1958 Ford 961 Powermaster

This is what i use, don't have any pictures of it with the 5240 on it. There is plenty of room though for implememts and to adjust front/back to get tongue weight just right.

Kubota L5240 with loader and backhoe

1958 Ford 961 Powermaster LP

Tractor
    Kubota L3800

I have a kubota L3800 with a 4in1 and flail mower. I tow it Toyota Tacoma with a 18' 7k dual axle trailer that has one set of electric breaks. Setup works good for me. I drive the tractor onto the trailer facing forward. The only problem is tongue weight so I typically bring the flail mower up with the 4in1 and park the tractor farther back on the trailer so it's weight is more centered on the dual axles.

Tractor
    Mahindra 5010

Quote Originally Posted by uncworbital View Post
    I have a kubota L3800 with a 4in1 and flail mower. I tow it Toyota Tacoma with a 18' 7k dual axle trailer that has one set of electric breaks. Setup works good for me. I drive the tractor onto the trailer facing forward. The only problem is tongue weight so I typically bring the flail mower up with the 4in1 and park the tractor farther back on the trailer so it's weight is more centered on the dual axles.
    Gotta pic? I would like to see it. I used to really enjoy pulling with the smaller toyotas.

Tractor
    Mahindra 5010

This a picture of my wife's truck ( Eco boost), daddy's 18' performance car hauler, and the 5010. Loaded it a little tongue heavy to see how the truck would tote it. This was the first of many times I hauled it. It has done very well. Trailer has brakes but no controller in the truck. I'm taking daddy's m7040 to him this week or the next. We will see how it does. I use a gooseneck with my truck bc the extra weight with welder etc.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails -image-947460453-jpg  

Page 4 of 17 FirstFirst 123456714 ... LastLast