HOW DO YOU TOW YOUR TRACTOR?

/ HOW DO YOU TOW YOUR TRACTOR?
I'm glad to hear you only towed it once and learned quickly, but reading your original post it sounds like it was regular common practice to tow it like that, and not a single incident, which would be completely unacceptable. I can accept a single issolated incident, yet you identify yourself as a PO.

As a police office I would think you would have been smarter than to attempt it in the first place, having seen the stupid things done by many motorists, as you've stated. Not to mention the violation of state DOT laws and trailer brakes.

And yes I'm a firefighter and I have seen the carnage from those doing said "stupid things" , and I would expect us to lead by example.

I'm sorry you are offended, but you obviously know/ understand where I'm coming from... Good luck with the rest of your thread /towing.

Being a Police Officer really didn't have anything to do with my decision to tow my tractor, I was very cautious and had safety in mind the whole time, but felt something wasn't right. I don't know how other dealers do things, but my local Kubota dealer had this trailer as part of a "package deal" when I purchased my tractor. I was..... lets say...mis- informed by the dealer about safely towing this tractor with a 1/2 ton pickup, and honestly I did not know that there was a 3000# limit before brakes are required (something our State Troopers mostly enforce...not City Police). Anyway, this is my first tractor, and I thought I was fully complying with my states laws, but thanks to TBN...I have been enlightened otherwise.....and learned something to boot! I now know why it felt wrong when I did tow it. Its because it was way too much to be towing without brakes on the trailer. I'd be willing to bet that most of us that own tractors don't or didn't know the laws and math involved in towing a tractor until experience set in.....its just that many wouldn't admit it. I however am different in that area, but by no means am I in a class like the stupid motorists we are talking about. I feel I am "leading by example" by admitting my short comings and correcting them before an accident happens.

/ HOW DO YOU TOW YOUR TRACTOR? #62  
I'm sorry your dealer mis informed you, putting you into a dangerous situation.. I apologize .....I will galdly get on my soap box in front of them.

Like I said, it sounded like it was regular practice.

I'm sorry your dealer mis informed you, putting you into a dangerous situation.. I apologize .....I will galdly get on my soap box in front of them.

Like I said, it sounded like it was regular practice.

Makes me wonder how many other people "trust" that the dealers trailer they were given is safe. Seems to me that Kubota would ensure NO trailers are given as package deals for ANY tractor unless the customer is fully informed of local / state law.....and more importantly what the customer needs to do to tow it safely. What upsets me is that until I bought a tractor I had no Idea you couldn't pull a tractor of my tractors weight without brakes. makes sense now....but it could have been a lesson learned the hard way! I even asked that very question out of sincere concern to my dealer and he looked at my truck...then at the tractor....then at the trailer he was "throwing in to the deal", and said "oh yes...your fine!. :banghead:

/ HOW DO YOU TOW YOUR TRACTOR? #64  
Makes me wonder how many other people "trust" that the dealers trailer they were given is safe. Seems to me that Kubota would ensure NO trailers are given as package deals for ANY tractor unless the customer is fully informed of local / state law.....and more importantly what the customer needs to do to tow it safely. What upsets me is that until I bought a tractor I had no Idea you couldn't pull a tractor of my tractors weight without brakes. makes sense now....but it could have been a lesson learned the hard way! I even asked that very question out of sincere concern to my dealer and he looked at my truck...then at the tractor....then at the trailer he was "throwing in to the deal", and said "oh yes...your fine!. :banghead:

Considering that the brakes are required and they sold you a trailer w/o them, I'd report them to the state attorney general and BBB. It's very illegal. Also I'd send a letter to corporate Kubota...

Good luck

Considering that the brakes are required and they sold you a trailer w/o them, I'd report them to the state attorney general and BBB. It's very illegal. Also I'd send a letter to corporate Kubota...

Good luck

My thoughts exactly........As they say......Let the games begin! :D

/ HOW DO YOU TOW YOUR TRACTOR? #66  

If a trailer in your state is required to have brakes over X amount of gross weight how is legal to be sold in your state? Also how can it be registered like that?

/ HOW DO YOU TOW YOUR TRACTOR? #67  
I know you were asking PAPPASMURF, but in my case, South Carolina does not require trailers to be registered. Hardly any does it unless they would normally travel out of state with their trailers to other states that require registration.

/ HOW DO YOU TOW YOUR TRACTOR? #68  
If a trailer in your state is required to have brakes over X amount of gross weight how is legal to be sold in your state? Also how can it be registered like that?

I agree, but the laws vary state by state, see link.

http://www.towingworld.com/articles/TowingLaws.htm

I think it is crap to sell a 7K GVWR trailer without brakes, they know it is wong, but when the trailer leaves (empty), it is under 3K, so brakes are not required, no laws broken. I do like your idea of registering it though. But to be honest, most people in Indiana put 3K plates of a 7K trailer, and most people here put 7K plates on 3/4 and 1 ton trucks!

Now in PapaSmurfs case, that was down right illegal, because trailer was loaded above 3K, which breaks state law in Indiana.

But, before people just go hook a trailer and tractor to their 1/2 ton truck, they need to do their due dilgence for themselves and all the innocent people around them and learn about pulling a load. I am sure the Nissan or Toyota or whatever it is came with a manual with a section on towing a trailer. READ IT. Learn what GVWR, GCVWR, and maximum axle ratings are. Go to the truck scales, weigh all axles with and without load. Are these within specifications of your truck and trailer? What are the weight carrying and weight distributing limits on your hitch? Ratings on your tailer tongue and coupler? Drawbar? I am also sure that manual has a section on how to hook up an electric brake controller, the harness is usually in the glove box. Read up and learn, the information is out there, just have to look and educate yourself.

Philip

In Alabama any trailer is required to be registered and have a tag displayed at all times on public roadways. I read my truck manual and it gave me the specifications on what the truck could handle. The Nissan Titan is rated for much more than the 18' trailer loaded with my tractor. As mentioned before, pulling the load is a breeze with my truck, but when I did I noticed that stopping (a very important aspect) seemed too poor to continue which is why I made this post. I should have been more descriptive in the original post, but most TBN folks have been more than helpful, and I have become much more educated about towing a tractor. As far as selling a trailer in this state.....no one really enforces what can be sold, however a DEALER would most likely be held accountable for a situation like mine. I broke a cardinal rule I have....never ASSUME anything. I assumed the dealer wouldn't sell a trailer with my package deal that was unsafe......I was wrong. I also take some of the blame because had I done this research BEFORE buying it, I wouldn't be sitting here wondering how to rectify the situation. Live an Learn!

/ HOW DO YOU TOW YOUR TRACTOR? #70  
As far as the weight limit, I know in my state I could register my 7000# trailer as a3500# trailer and not have to get it inspected/have brakes. Just can never be on the road with more than the registered weight!

I will say it again that you are exceeding the tow capacity of your Titan with that load if you aren't using a weight distribution hitch - it's in your titan manual....