HOW DO YOU TOW YOUR TRACTOR?

/ HOW DO YOU TOW YOUR TRACTOR?
As far as the weight limit, I know in my state I could register my 7000# trailer as a3500# trailer and not have to get it inspected/have brakes. Just can never be on the road with more than the registered weight!

I will say it again that you are exceeding the tow capacity of your Titan with that load if you aren't using a weight distribution hitch - it's in your titan manual....

I read over the manual again, and have yet to see anything stating I have exceeded the tow capacity of my truck. Can you specify where else I should look? Also (don't know if this matters) but it has the 4x4 tow package....considered Heavy duty with tow capacity of just under 10,000 #.

/ HOW DO YOU TOW YOUR TRACTOR? #72  
I read over the manual again, and have yet to see anything stating I have exceeded the tow capacity of my truck. Can you specify where else I should look? Also (don't know if this matters) but it has the 4x4 tow package....considered Heavy duty with tow capacity of just under 10,000 #.

Look at the sticker on your hitch. Should say something like '500/5000WC---1000/10000WD'. That means 500 pounds tongue 5000 pounds pulling as weight carrying hitch, 1000 pounds tongue 10000 pounds pulling as weight distributing hitch. That is just an example (Ford), your Nissan should be similar. FYI Draw-Tite has an excellant website with lots of useful towing information. Philip.

/ HOW DO YOU TOW YOUR TRACTOR? #73  
Here is an example of how you can recored your GVWR, GCVWR, your empty weights, and your loaded weights. Philip.

Attachments

• WEIGHTTICKET02.pdf
    231.5 KB · Views: 88
   / HOW DO YOU TOW YOUR TRACTOR? #74  
My 2008 Titan manual states:

"When towing a trailer load of 3,500# or more, trailers with a brake system MUST be used."

(I like my Prodigy p2 controller, plug and play with the Titan tow package, installed in ~ 10 minutes.

And:

"Class IV trailer hitch.....can be used to tow trailers of a max wt. of 10,000#. Aw eight distribution hitch should be used to tow trailers that weigh over 5,000#."

The wd hitch has to do with the rating of the class IV hitch, this is not limited to titans, it applies to all class IV hitches I believe....

/ HOW DO YOU TOW YOUR TRACTOR? #75  
Look at the sticker on your hitch. Should say something like '500/5000WC---1000/10000WD'. That means 500 pounds tongue 5000 pounds pulling as weight carrying hitch, 1000 pounds tongue 10000 pounds pulling as weight distributing hitch. That is just an example (Ford), your Nissan should be similar. FYI Draw-Tite has an excellant website with lots of useful towing information. Philip.

That is for the hitch and may exceed the truck.

Smurf, your manual will have atow rating in it...

This is what I found in a search..When properly equipped, the Nissan Titan King Cab has a 9500 pound towing capacity and the Crew Cab has a 9300 pound towing capacity. (notice it is less than the hitch rating above, which is probably the hitch you have)

Just found it!! Good god man, I HAVE been exceeding the limit. The way I understand it now, my Titan (4x4 tow package) is rated for 9,200# tow capacity as long as it is not a bumper hitch, and an actual tow frame style hitch (which mine is)....however (and this is what I missed the first time) ANY load over 5000# requires a WD hitch!!! WOW I did not know that. Thanks UpNorth1 and Philip8n !! Looks like I will be buying a Weight Distribution hitch on top of both Axle braking systems! Please tell me I havent missed anything else:eek:my billfold is running low on that green stuff! lol:hissyfit:

/ HOW DO YOU TOW YOUR TRACTOR? #77  
My 2008 Titan manual states:

"When towing a trailer load of 3,500# or more, trailers with a brake system MUST be used."

(I like my Prodigy p2 controller, plug and play with the Titan tow package, installed in ~ 10 minutes.

And:

"Class IV trailer hitch.....can be used to tow trailers of a max wt. of 10,000#. Aw eight distribution hitch should be used to tow trailers that weigh over 5,000#."

The wd hitch has to do with the rating of the class IV hitch, this is not limited to titans, it applies to all class IV hitches I believe....

WD hitches do not have anything to do with hitch rating per say. its how the load is distributed to the tow vehicle. if you have a stable vehicle you can tow 10K with out it. My 3/4 ton crew cab chevy has a beefed up rear suspension, I rarley use a WD hitch on my 11K toyhauler. I really use the WD hitch set up to help with sway control...and of course a sway bar

The hitch may be rated for a certain amount of capaity with a relation to a WD use. but they are not required.

/ HOW DO YOU TOW YOUR TRACTOR? #78  
Just found it!! Good god man, I HAVE been exceeding the limit. The way I understand it now, my Titan (4x4 tow package) is rated for 9,200# tow capacity as long as it is not a bumper hitch, and an actual tow frame style hitch (which mine is)....however (and this is what I missed the first time) ANY load over 5000# requires a WD hitch!!! WOW I did not know that. Thanks UpNorth1 and Philip8n !! Looks like I will be buying a Weight Distribution hitch on top of both Axle braking systems! Please tell me I havent missed anything else:eek:my billfold is running low on that green stuff! lol:hissyfit:

Does it say required in bold letters? Do you understand the concept of weight distribution hitch? They usually are firm suggestion for use. it gets rid of the see sawing motion (bouncing ) between the trailer an tow vehicle and reduces the rear axle /frame loading and transfers weight to the whole vehicle

You should be right around 5K with the tractor BH and trailer. maybe just over... For short tows around town, you would be fine with out WD, for long trips yes a WD would be helpfull

Good luck

Does it say required in bold letters? Do you understand the concept of weight distribution hitch? They usually are firm suggestion for use. it gets rid of the see sawing motion (bouncing ) between the trailer an tow vehicle and reduces the rear axle /frame loading and transfers weight to the whole vehicle

You should be right around 5K with the tractor BH and trailer. maybe just over... For short tows around town, you would be fine with out WD, for long trips yes a WD would be helpfull

Good luck

I do understand the WD hitch concept....seems like overkill in my situation. According to the manual I could tow 7,200 pounds with a genuin Nissan Receiver Frame Mounted Hitch for 4X4 tow package which is what I have. If I choose to tow at the 9200# max rating then yes it does say a WD hitch is required. I am thinking that brakes will solve my issues because there is no sway or loss of control but only a braking issue. This is all getting confusing, and sometimes contradictory depending on how you preceive what your reading.

/ HOW DO YOU TOW YOUR TRACTOR? #80  
Yup, Clear as mud. For what you are doing a WD is probably not needed. Load the trailer as neutral as possible, Better to have more tongue wt than less, and brakes...

How about the next arguement, chains or straps....:laughing: This one can go on for ever....