HOW DO YOU TOW YOUR TRACTOR?

/ HOW DO YOU TOW YOUR TRACTOR? #81  
Just found it!! Good god man, I HAVE been exceeding the limit. The way I understand it now, my Titan (4x4 tow package) is rated for 9,200# tow capacity as long as it is not a bumper hitch, and an actual tow frame style hitch (which mine is)....however (and this is what I missed the first time) ANY load over 5000# requires a WD hitch!!! WOW I did not know that. Thanks UpNorth1 and Philip8n !! Looks like I will be buying a Weight Distribution hitch on top of both Axle braking systems! Please tell me I havent missed anything else:eek:my billfold is running low on that green stuff! lol:hissyfit:

I have an F250SD and do not required WD for my load, so I cannot help any further here. I suggest you weigh your loads as I have suggested per my example so you clearly know where you are at, what you need to do, and what options you have. If you do not want to go WD, and if you have the capacity, see if Draw-Tite or another manufacturer offers a WC hitch for your Nissan with the proper specifications. If we knew your weights, we could help more. Just look at things like, what is your drawbar rating? What is your ball rated for? Is fuse installed for charge circuit to trailer break-away battery? Every vehicle and trailer is differenct, just read as much as you can. Good luck. Philip.

/ HOW DO YOU TOW YOUR TRACTOR? #82  
Just to add to the confusion: I tow a 7500# boat + trailer behind a 3/4 ton Suburban without a WD hitch.

The key as I understand it is tongue weight - too much makes the rear squat, unloads the tow vehicles front wheels and interferes with steering. Long-tounged boat trailers are typically run with much less tongue weight than shorter trailers - 5-10% instead of 15%.

To start a fight: I prefer properly-functioning surge brakes to electrics. (I bet I'm the only one around here) Probably because I've been dunking trailers into salt water for 40 years. I had the TuffTrailer I use to haul the BX built with Kodiak disk surge brakes and am very pleased with the performance. And easy maintenance.

Z.

/ HOW DO YOU TOW YOUR TRACTOR? #83  
Just to add to the confusion: I tow a 7500# boat + trailer behind a 3/4 ton Suburban without a WD hitch.

The key as I understand it is tongue weight - too much makes the rear squat, unloads the tow vehicles front wheels and interferes with steering. Long-tounged boat trailers are typically run with much less tongue weight than shorter trailers - 5-10% instead of 15%.

To start a fight: I prefer properly-functioning surge brakes to electrics. (I bet I'm the only one around here) Probably because I've been dunking trailers into salt water for 40 years. I had the TuffTrailer I use to haul the BX built with Kodiak disk surge brakes and am very pleased with the performance. And easy maintenance.

Z.

Yeah, electric brakes and continued boat launches, don't last too long. especially in saltwater

/ HOW DO YOU TOW YOUR TRACTOR?
I got a lot of homework to do to ensure I'm doing things right. Brakes are a must, so thats out of the way, but as far as the hitch and weight and all that...well I gotta do some figuring. I also have a letter to write to Kubota Corporation so wish me luck. Firefighter......The chains vs straps is a good idea.....I use 10,000# straps but would prefer the chain system. This is gonna sound funny but my dealer sells the 10,000# straps that are Kubota orange with the Kubota Logo on them, so I couldnt resist!! I was in the military (U.S. Air Force) years ago (not devuldging my age) and my job was to calculate and tie down tanks, helicopters, vehicles, and large guns on the decks of C-5 Galaxies,C- 141's, and C130's (Cargo Planes) and we ALWAYS used Chain systems, however some points were acceptable to use straps. Anyway....thats how I became partial to Chains. But that was before I owned a pretty Orange toy!:cool2:

/ HOW DO YOU TOW YOUR TRACTOR? #85  
I agree, but the laws vary state by state, see link.

http://www.towingworld.com/articles/TowingLaws.htm

I think it is crap to sell a 7K GVWR trailer without brakes, they know it is wong, but when the trailer leaves (empty), it is under 3K, so brakes are not required, no laws broken. I do like your idea of registering it though. But to be honest, most people in Indiana put 3K plates of a 7K trailer, and most people here put 7K plates on 3/4 and 1 ton trucks!

Now in PapaSmurfs case, that was down right illegal, because trailer was loaded above 3K, which breaks state law in Indiana.

But, before people just go hook a trailer and tractor to their 1/2 ton truck, they need to do their due dilgence for themselves and all the innocent people around them and learn about pulling a load. I am sure the Nissan or Toyota or whatever it is came with a manual with a section on towing a trailer. READ IT. Learn what GVWR, GCVWR, and maximum axle ratings are. Go to the truck scales, weigh all axles with and without load. Are these within specifications of your truck and trailer? What are the weight carrying and weight distributing limits on your hitch? Ratings on your tailer tongue and coupler? Drawbar? I am also sure that manual has a section on how to hook up an electric brake controller, the harness is usually in the glove box. Read up and learn, the information is out there, just have to look and educate yourself.

Philip

I understand what you are saying but if the trailers sold as a 7k it should have brakes. I believe the trailer manufacturer is it fault somewhat.

/ HOW DO YOU TOW YOUR TRACTOR? #86  
I got a lot of homework to do to ensure I'm doing things right. Brakes are a must, so thats out of the way, but as far as the hitch and weight and all that...well I gotta do some figuring. I also have a letter to write to Kubota Corporation so wish me luck. Firefighter......The chains vs straps is a good idea.....I use 10,000# straps but would prefer the chain system. This is gonna sound funny but my dealer sells the 10,000# straps that are Kubota orange with the Kubota Logo on them, so I couldnt resist!! I was in the military (U.S. Air Force) years ago (not devuldging my age) and my job was to calculate and tie down tanks, helicopters, vehicles, and large guns on the decks of C-5 Galaxies,C- 141's, and C130's (Cargo Planes) and we ALWAYS used Chain systems, however some points were acceptable to use straps. Anyway....thats how I became partial to Chains. But that was before I owned a pretty Orange toy!:cool2:

You are alright with straps as long as you don't pull them over a sharp edge. On the front you could tie down around the front axle and use a axle strap. On the back since you have a back it may be best to chain it.

Here is a link to a axle strap. http://www.truckntow.com/c-146907-axle-straps.aspx

/ HOW DO YOU TOW YOUR TRACTOR? #87  
PapaSmurf .. Glad the light came on. I was thinking you had not quite got the concept of tongue weight vs towed weight. Your tractor with FEL / BH is probably not more than 5,000 #. That requires brakes in your state, you got that. Now turn the tractor around, drive on and find the balance point that puts weight on tongue/hitch but not so much to make the front of the truck light - not more than 500 #. It really is that simple. A starting point could be to have someone with a ruler measuring the distance of the hitch to the ground. When you have driven sufficiently forward enough to lower the hitch by 2 inches stop. As said that could just be a starting point.

/ HOW DO YOU TOW YOUR TRACTOR? #88  
This is gonna sound funny but my dealer sells the 10,000# straps that are Kubota orange with the Kubota Logo on them, so I couldnt resist!! I was in the military (U.S. Air Force) years ago (not devuldging my age)

I bet those are 3300 pound straps. Most all 2" straps are rated 10000 pounds breaking and 3300 pounds SAFE WORKING LOAD LIMIT. Just pay attention to the safe working load limit so you don't get in trouble (confused).

You can't be that old, my Uncle was in the US Army Air Corp.

Philip

/ HOW DO YOU TOW YOUR TRACTOR?
Thanks to everyone for all the information and education. Thanks for all the links as well. I now have a good grasp on all of this, so my Orange toy and more importantly me and fellow drivers will be safe. This is what TBN is all about. :drink:

/ HOW DO YOU TOW YOUR TRACTOR? #90  
I bet those are 3300 pound straps. Most all 2" straps are rated 10000 pounds breaking and 3300 pounds SAFE WORKING LOAD LIMIT. Just pay attention to the safe working load limit so you don't get in trouble (confused).
Philip

What Philip said. Just checked my 2" straps: 10,000#/3335# rated.

I use reinforced PVC hose chunks for chafing gear when the straps get anywhere something that isn't smooth, and hair-pin shackles strategically located on the BX frame for tie-down points. The shackles make a nice smooth landing spot for the straps.

Z.

PVC_HOSE.jpgShackleClevisClip.JPG