Covered by warranty?

/ Covered by warranty? #1  

kw22614

Platinum Member
Tractor
Kubota BX1860
Just bought in Nov 2012 and have less than 20 hrs. and only shifted into 4x4 just to try it. Since, I hear, most front axles are low on oil from the factory, especially on BX and B models. If a dealer were to check and top off the fluid, would it be covered by Kubota or would the owner be responsible?

/ Covered by warranty? #2  
Depending on the dealer......I can tell you from experience that fluid levels being low like that would be covered under warranty most of the time with just 20 hours on it, but they usually have required me to haul it back to them. Transportation is up to you. If you dont have a good dealer they may tell you to take a hike, however I have never had a problem with Kubota Corporation making good on anything including fluids when the tractor is that new. Good luck!

/ Covered by warranty? #3  
I'd mention it to the dealer and he'll probably just give you some. If you do have to buy some it won't be very much anyway.

I got everything for my 50 hour service "free" (only cost me $45k) when I bought my Kubota.

/ Covered by warranty? #4  
Being new to the Kubota tractor, 2009 BX2660, I wasn't aware of the possibility of the front axle being low on fluid. After 63 hrs of use I found it to be almost a quart low. The dealer made no explanation or apology, but did give me a free quart of SUDT and said that probably no damage occurred.

/ Covered by warranty? #5  
You gotz to read your owner's manual: It is advised that you check all nuts, bolts, safety devices, tire pressures and fluid levels prior to operation. I think any dealer could use this to ***** any liability on their part.

/ Covered by warranty? #6  
You gotz to read your owner's manual: It is advised that you check all nuts, bolts, safety devices, tire pressures and fluid levels prior to operation. I think any dealer could use this to ***** any liability on their part.

I am on my second Kubota and have found the dealers in my area to be particularly accommodating. They are in business for the long haul and an unhappy customer is far more important than a quart of oil, or a warranty repair. A good dealer is more important than brand, but I have been very happy with both in my case for over 20 years.

/ Covered by warranty?
It's at the dealer now for warranty covered leaking steering seal repair. I was planning on calling tomorrow and ask them, while they have it, to check the level and top it off. Was just looking for opinions - Thanks.

/ Covered by warranty?
Just got off the phone with the dealer - Byrd Tractor - and they said they'd check and top it off no problem.
Thanks for all your replys so I would know what to expect.

Axle comes from factory with SuperUDT, which they said is no longer made. Now they make SuperUDT2, which is the same. Both are semi-synthetic oils.
Manual says can use 80w90 gear oil or SuperUDT(2) in the front axle.
I think when it's time to change the oil in the front axle will go with semi-synth 80w90 gear oil - much cheaper than SuperUDT2 (and what I've been using for years in my air cooled VWs).

/ Covered by warranty? #9  
The factory fills the front drive with fluid. Some, probably most, dealers check it before delivery but alas the fluid finds crevices to go to after the tractor wheels roll around for awhile thus leading to the indicator/dip stick indicating low on fluid. This is common and I'm sure no damage is done as long as the dipstick indicates any amount of fluid. Barlows gives me a quart up front knowing it's going to settle and I'm going to come back to get it.:D Nothing to worry about in my opinion.

/ Covered by warranty? #10  
Just got off the phone with the dealer - Byrd Tractor - and they said they'd check and top it off no problem.
Thanks for all your replys so I would know what to expect.

Axle comes from factory with SuperUDT, which they said is no longer made. Now they make SuperUDT2, which is the same. Both are semi-synthetic oils.
Manual says can use 80w90 gear oil or SuperUDT(2) in the front axle.
I think when it's time to change the oil in the front axle will go with semi-synth 80w90 gear oil - much cheaper than SuperUDT2 (and what I've been using for years in my air cooled VWs).

As JOHNTHOMAS mentioned, this is a very common issue and the dealer is at no fault if the front axle fluid is low after a few hours of use (mine was 1 quart low at 10 hours). As the manual mentions, check the fluids before each use and you shouldn't have any issues. The front axle dipstick is easy to pull but the clear fluid can be hard to see on the yellow dipstick.

Not that this matters, but what I have read, the older SUDT was not a semi-synthetic fluid but it was superior to UDT. SUDT2, SUDT and UDT are all compatible so it won't matter which oil is used to top yours off. I do agree to change to semi-synth 80w90 gear oil when you change your front axle fluid. At 50 hours, I stayed with SUDT but then I went with full synth 80w90 when I changed mine again at 300 & 600 hours.