B2920 Safety Interlocks?

/ B2920 Safety Interlocks? #1  

gregkabob

Silver Member
Tractor
NH TC45DA
We just purchased a B2920 for my wife (I have a NH TC45DA).

The question I have is there any safety interlocks on the B2920 that must be engaged before you can start it. I went to the dealer and the guy wasn't really sure so he went out to a 2620 and sure enough it just cranked right up while standing next to it. There are interlock switches on the seat for the pto and it works. If you have the PTO enganged and get off the seat it stops the tractor.

On the NH I have to have my butt in the seat, brake on, and speed selector in N before it will crank. If I stop and get off with out setting the brake and putting it in N the NH will quit. With the new 2920 it doesn't require anything as it is now. It can be ingear and you can stand next to it hit the key and it starts. At the least I would have thought you'd have to be sitting on the tractor before it would crank.

For you with the 2920's (or 2620) is this the norm? As I said this is my wifes tractor and want her to be safe with it. Thanks ALL

/ B2920 Safety Interlocks? #2  
I have a B2320 and I am able to start it while standing next to it. I usually make sure the parking brake is in neutral and the HST is in neutral before I get off it, but don't think that would stop it from starting. I think the only safety interlock is while running the PTO.

/ B2920 Safety Interlocks? #3  
I have a B2620 Hydrostat. I can start it from the ground but the hydro pedals must be in neutral and pto must be off.

/ B2920 Safety Interlocks?
I did hear back from Kubota and the only safeties are on the Forward/Reverse pedal and on the pto. The Safety for the seat only works when you have the PTO engaged and the one on the forward/reverse pedal will keep the tractor from cranking if either is depressed. So, you can jump off the tractor with it running and in gear as long as you don't have the PTO on. I think they should have had the seat integrated so you can't jump off the running tractor unless you have the brake set and the trans in N.

/ B2920 Safety Interlocks? #5  
Too many safeties interfers with logical operation of the tractor. When doing tractor work other than PTO work it is perfectly OK to dismount the tractor while in gear (HST neutral) and do ground work without the engine dying. MY LS P7010C gear and only has PTO and clutch safety and Kubota B26 TLB is just like the B2x20 series tractors to me is just as it should be.
The operator needs to have his brain in gear a bit and not depend on electronic safety switches for everything in the world to watch out for him. If on a hill, set the brake or lower the FEL to keep the tractor in place. If the HST pedal is not in neutral it will die which is what it should do. To my way of thinking, it shouldnt need a gear neutral safety, and HST pedal safety, a PTO safety and a seat interlock all of which must be off and still kill the engine if the operator raises up from the seat. Normal tractor work requires some getting on and off to perform some ground activities and you should not have to restart the tractor everytime you get off to say pick up a root or rock or load a branch in the FEL. That would be extreme duty on the battery and starter and totally not necessary for safe operation of the tractor.

/ B2920 Safety Interlocks? #6  
Too many safeties interfers with logical operation of the tractor. When doing tractor work other than PTO work it is perfectly OK to dismount the tractor while in gear (HST neutral) and do ground work without the engine dying. MY LS P7010C gear and only has PTO and clutch safety and Kubota B26 TLB is just like the B2x20 series tractors to me is just as it should be.
The operator needs to have his brain in gear a bit and not depend on electronic safety switches for everything in the world to watch out for him. If on a hill, set the brake or lower the FEL to keep the tractor in place. If the HST pedal is not in neutral it will die which is what it should do. To my way of thinking, it shouldnt need a gear neutral safety, and HST pedal safety, a PTO safety and a seat interlock all of which must be off and still kill the engine if the operator raises up from the seat. Normal tractor work requires some getting on and off to perform some ground activities and you should not have to restart the tractor everytime you get off to say pick up a root or rock or load a branch in the FEL. That would be extreme duty on the battery and starter and totally not necessary for safe operation of the tractor.

I agree, no need for a seat switch to kill the tractor if hydro is in neutral pedal position. I'm not sure I understand the point about jumping off the tractor. If the tractor is stopped what's the big deal? If the tractor is moving then 1) you're an idiot for jumping off a moving tractor and 2) the hydro pedal and seat combo will kill the engine as soon as you leave the seat. Have I missed something?

Sent from my iPad using TractorByNet

/ B2920 Safety Interlocks? #7  
I agree, no need for a seat switch to kill the tractor if hydro is in neutral pedal position. I'm not sure I understand the point about jumping off the tractor. If the tractor is stopped what's the big deal? If the tractor is moving then 1) you're an idiot for jumping off a moving tractor and 2) the hydro pedal and seat combo will kill the engine as soon as you leave the seat. Have I missed something?

Sent from my iPad using TractorByNet
That is partially right. If you jump off, which is pretty idiotic and likely to get hurt doing it, the HST pedal should automatically go to neutral if properly lubricated but if not then the engine would die when the operator got up off the seat (it does have a seat interlock it just doesnt require operator presence to start with HST pedal in neutral and PTO disengaged)
Speaking of safety interlocks as an issue: Brother in laws NH 2030 has no clutch same as a lot of HST including the B series Kubotas but once he was pushing up a burning brush pile with the FEL and stalled the engine. When that happens with all the hydraulic pressure on it, it is nearly impossible to shift to neutral which is what has to happen in order to engage the starter on his tractor. Needless to say it was getting pretty hot on the front end before he managed to get into neutral, restart then shift back into gear and back up. With my Kubota I dont think it would have stalled the engine but if it did, it would have been just a turn of the key to restart and get the heck out of the fire.

/ B2920 Safety Interlocks? #8  
Looks like you got your answer. The only thing ill add is that depending on your seat you can either flip it over or with the bh seat release it so it can turn to dismount with the pto operating. I wouldn't recommend this, but do it a lot, you can move the ractor forward a couple inches by pressing the hydro pedal with your hand when standing next to it. Its good for small adjustments when positioning an implement.. Just don't run over your leg or foot.

/ B2920 Safety Interlocks? #9  
I have a 2620 and have bypassed the seat switch by using a wire-tye to keep the "arm" in the contact position. Mine may be a bit different in that the the seat is the kind that rotates for backhoe use.