Page 6 of 14 FirstFirst ... 3456789 ... LastLast
    Elite Member
    Tractor
    Ford 3930

Default Re: Adding a Spin on Racor filter to a BX25

Jason - I was at the local International dealer today, for another reason. Just for giggles, I priced the Stanadyne Performance version, that I mentioned earlier.

$51 Canadian, vs. $17 USD. I could get that Canadian price reduced a bit, down to wholesale, but those prices are apples/apples (retail walk in pricing).

Generally, this local dealer is considered competitive on most things, so it is not a dealer specific gouge. (Yeah, it's country wide - that's better ! ).

And Marketplace was reporting recently on Canadian price gouging, like it is news ?

Rgds, D.

Tractor
    BX 25, ZD 326

Holy moly... Thats a pretty significant difference.

Clearly, it's because of the required French labeling, right?

Elite Member
    Tractor
    Ford 3930

Quote Originally Posted by Scooby074 View Post
    Holy moly... Thats a pretty significant difference.

Clearly, it's because of the required French labeling, right?
    LOL....

Don't know if you caught that Marketplace (CBC) episode recently. The lady who is the Head of the Retail Council of Canada was spilling the beans on "Country Specific" pricing, and calling it the heifer dust that it is.

She said exactly what I've always believed - the true cost adder (smaller market, labeling, transport....) for Canada is MAYBE in the 10-20% range, no more.

So..... just another reason to use your "Passport to Savings".....

Rgds, D.

Tractor
    Kubota BX2200

Everyone it the supply chain marks up based on their cost. To that 10% get 2Xed by the wholesaler who passes it to the retailer who 2Xs it to result in a 40% markup. Lets not quibble about the exact markups but you get the idea. I am sure she knew this but opted not to mention it.
    Quote Originally Posted by 3930dave View Post
    LOL....

Don't know if you caught that Marketplace (CBC) episode recently. The lady who is the Head of the Retail Council of Canada was spilling the beans on "Country Specific" pricing, and calling it the heifer dust that it is.

She said exactly what I've always believed - the true cost adder (smaller market, labeling, transport....) for Canada is MAYBE in the 10-20% range, no more.

Rgds, D.

Elite Member
    Tractor
    Ford 3930

Quote Originally Posted by 3v0 View Post
    Everyone it the supply chain marks up based on their cost. To that 10% get 2Xed by the wholesaler who passes it to the retailer who 2Xs it to result in a 40% markup. Lets not quibble about the exact markups but you get the idea. I am sure she knew this but opted not to mention it.
    Agreed, that does stack up fast, but the scale of the problem up Nord here is truly unbelievable. In many cases, only paying 40% over a US price is often considered a deal.

That Stanadyne is marked up 200% over USA retail. There is a bit of shipping to get it here, but it's not like we live at the South Pole.

Between a buddy of mine and myself, we've probably priced out several hundred car parts over the years, for personal projects. Talking normal replacement parts, not High Performance toys...... Routinely, Canadian auto parts prices are marked up at least 100% over the USA retail price. Same Manufacturer's part, exact PN match. The real irony is that many of these parts are made in the same province that I live (Ontario), so I always get a big "kick" (you know where) when some talking head talks about "Transportation costs" being a factor in Canadian pricing.

Sorry for the thread drift Jason, but I know you deal with the same problems, and that Stanadyne can be hard to find up here.

Rant Off, well, for now at least.

Shop wisely, Rgds, D.

Tractor
    BX 25, ZD 326

Quote Originally Posted by 3930dave View Post
    LOL....

Rgds, D.
    I WISH i could use the passport to savings!! Too far to the border for me.

Your post is dead on.. they get away with it.. well, because they can!! Case in point, I ordered some parts off RockAuto and even with shipping (over $50 IIRC), Duty and other various BS the parts were $300 from RA vs. approx. $1000 locally. Same aftermarket parts, by the same manufacturers too!!

No way it's THAT more up here. I agree a small PITA percentage may be in order, but nowhere near what they have been getting.

Oh, and dont worry about the thread drift!! Im as guilty as any

Tractor
    Kubota BX2200

This sounds like this is really an opportunity for someone up there. Time to open an auto parts retail store.

I get a lot of stuff from rockauto. Most of the parts for my little old toyota pickup seem to be on closeout from one on their suppliers and are so cheap it feels illegal.

Tractor
    Kubota BX2200

This sounds like this is really an opportunity for someone up there. Time to open an auto parts retail store.

I get a lot of stuff from rockauto. Most of the parts for my little old toyota pickup seem to be on closeout from one on their suppliers and are so cheap it feels illegal.

Elite Member
    Tractor
    Ford 3930

Quote Originally Posted by 3v0 View Post

The Rock is popular up here. I also try and make a trip to Upstate NY at least a few times a year....It's worth the drive.

I dropped into Mickey D's here for a coffee a couple of weeks back, mid-afternoon. You'll often see sales guys there that time of day, using the wifi. One guy took a call, obviously his boss, ended up fencing with him/her over the phone re. sales quotas. One of his comments was that a lot of the local auto parts places are just buying direct from the USA, in volume.

A few people here have made a real killing on these margins, something I try not to support any longer.

Rgds, D.

Silver Member
    Tractor
    BX24

Thanks Scooby, your research motivated me to stop procrastinating & install a filter-separator worthy of these tractors. My welder is on the fritz, so I came up with a different bracket, but same location. I also thought it would be helpful to add a shut-off to simplify filter changes. Already saved me when I got a leaky bowl.

-photo-1-jpg -photo-2-jpg -photo-3-jpg -photo-4-jpg -photo-5-jpg

Page 6 of 14 FirstFirst ... 3456789 ... LastLast