Oil & Fuel Adding a Spin on Racor filter to a BX25

/ Adding a Spin on Racor filter to a BX25 #81  
Scooby, one more follow up question. Does that Racor filter have a fuel shut off? If not, how do you shut off the fuel flow in order to change the filter? Thanks again.

/ Adding a Spin on Racor filter to a BX25
No the Racor does not come with a shutoff.

To change the filter I use some small hose pinchers available at any autoparts store or even a harbour freight.Cheap

Lisle_22850_1_EB.jpg

Of course you could add an inline 1/4" brass valve before the filter. However considering the service interval of the filter, its overkill IMHO. The racor has a large drain in the bottom of the bowl, so you can dump any debris into a bucket without disassembling the filter assembly which would require turning off the fuel.

In my opinion the Racor option is superior to the "factory" Kubota one like 4shorts and others have put on lately. The Racor has built in drains, and more importantly I believe the Racor filter material is superior and the filter has more filter area than the Kubota ones (albeit Racor is OEM for some model Kubota filters). That said, anything is better than the crap filter that comes stock on a BX.

/ Adding a Spin on Racor filter to a BX25 #83  
Just apply some red loctite to the bolts when reinstalling them.

I'd recommend blue Loctite if you ever want to remove them without using torches near that fuel filter.

it should be a permanent install. Red loctite will be fine.

Plus, if absolutely necessary, the filter can be removed with out undoing the bracket. And red loctite does not always need a torch to be removed

/ Adding a Spin on Racor filter to a BX25 #85  
No the Racor does not come with a shutoff.

In my opinion the Racor option is superior to the "factory" Kubota one like 4shorts and others have put on lately. The Racor has built in drains, and more importantly I believe the Racor filter material is superior and the filter has more filter area than the Kubota ones (albeit Racor is OEM for some model Kubota filters). That said, anything is better than the crap filter that comes stock on a BX.

What number is on your filter. The racor's go down to 2 micron while the standard Kubota filter is 30 micron. No comparison to the quality of filter. Kubota filters are slightly better than a screen.

What number is on your filter. The racor's go down to 2 micron while the standard Kubota filter is 30 micron. No comparison to the quality of filter. Kubota filters are slightly better than a screen.

Its a Racor 120A (S) , 2 Micron.

/ Adding a Spin on Racor filter to a BX25 #87  
Scooby,
Could you please post model numbers for the filter body and the 2 micron filter?
I plan on doing this as soon as the weather breaks, installing it in the same location, and running the filter in-line before the lift pump. I can't see going through the trouble and not saving the lift pump from potential damage.
Thanks!

/ Adding a Spin on Racor filter to a BX25 #89  
Here's a link to the one I bough from Ebay, best price I could find and it came complete, brnad new, with manual and 10 micron filter.

R12T Parker Racor Fuel Filter 120AT | eBay

I will be adding one to my Kioti as soon as we have non Arctic weather! Thanks Scooby for the idea and the motivation to do this!

I think you may have convinced me to not go with a shutoff valve, as it is only one more place for air to get in. I'm going to clamp the lines the relatively few times I will have to change the filter.

/ Adding a Spin on Racor filter to a BX25 #90  
Why do you think Kubota put a filter before the fuel pump inlet? To protect the pump :rolleyes:
To go though all that trouble and install an external filter and not want to protect the fuel pump (it's heart) is ridiculous in my opinion.

When that pump poops out, the guys who didn't protect will want to after they dish out the bucks to replace it. Do it right the first time.
Guys protect your fuel pumps!
Just say'in :dance1: