Block Heater

/ Block Heater #41  
I use this on my truck because it is rated for 15 amps, but it is not remote control.

ST01 Series

I use my truck 5 days a week on a set schedule, so I can power up a 4:00am, then start my truck at 5:30am. I do not have this luxury with my tractor, so I do not use a block heater. When I need it I need it now, and do not have the patience or time to wait. Guess I could always point a 250,000 btu kerosene torpedo heater at it for 15 minutes.

Just check the wattage and make sure the device has the amperage rating for the heater.

Philip.

/ Block Heater #42  
I think this is the one I use but it lists a 60 foot range. I think there are similar ones with a longer range.
Woods Outdoor Weatherproof Wireless Remote Control with 3-Conductor Outlet, Black, 32555: Electrical : Walmart.com

This one will do 150 ft
HW2190 Heavy Duty Remote Control - Amazon.com

I think I got my woods unit from Amazon also.

I just ordered a Skylink PA-318 1500W Plug-In Receiver and a Skylink TC-318-3 3 Button Skylinkpad Remote Control from Amazon. The Skylink claims to have a 500 ft range. Hope it will have the range I need to reach my machine shed about 300 ft. If it will at least turn off and on when I drive past the machine shed that will work as well.

I will use a splitter and run a small light bulb that is visible from outside so that I know when the power is on. Another neat feature is that the receiver can be programmed to turn off up to an hour after it's turned on. Just about the right amount of time to get the tractor warmed up.

Thanks Amigauser for your input. Before reading your post I was looking for a programable outlet....hadn't thought about the remote control idea.

/ Block Heater
Last year when I was setting up my grow light stand for starting my vegetable seeds early, I ran across a gang outlet at Home Depot with 4 of the outlets having a built-in timer. I think it was only about 20 bucks or so. For my seeds, I have it set so it kicks on the grow lights at a certain time then automatically shuts them off. It should work fine for plugging in a block heater. When I get home from work today I'll post the make and model for you.

/ Block Heater #44  
I use this on my truck because it is rated for 15 amps, but it is not remote control.

ST01 Series

I use my truck 5 days a week on a set schedule, so I can power up a 4:00am, then start my truck at 5:30am. I do not have this luxury with my tractor, so I do not use a block heater. When I need it I need it now, and do not have the patience or time to wait. Guess I could always point a 250,000 btu kerosene torpedo heater at it for 15 minutes.

Just check the wattage and make sure the device has the amperage rating for the heater.

Philip.

If necessary, I've thought about using my kerosene torpedo heater (75,000 BTU) for this purpose. Does anybody have some experience trying such. About 30 minutes pointing straight at the tractor from the front ought to warm everything quite a bit, even though it is sitting outside at zero deg F.

/ Block Heater #45  
If necessary, I've thought about using my kerosene torpedo heater (75,000 BTU) for this purpose. Does anybody have some experience trying such. About 30 minutes pointing straight at the tractor from the front ought to warm everything quite a bit, even though it is sitting outside at zero deg F.

I remember my dad using the old Knipco on our 730 Case one time. The school bus had water in the gas and conked out right by our driveway. It was d**m cold, like maybe -20 that day. He plugged in the block heater in one outlet, plugged the Knipco in to another. He and the bus driver stayed outside for quite a while, but with a shot of ether she popped off, so I know it works. They dragged the bus up into our yard, but I don't recall what all they did to get that going. We didn't have school that day and that was all I cared about. :D

My fear would be in using that on a regular basis w/o anybody being around. I'd be worried about any plastic parts or even some wiring catching fire. Care would have to be taken to minimize that.

/ Block Heater
Here is the info on that timer. GE 7-Day 8-Outlet Power Strip Timer, model 15077. It's at Home Depot for 19.97. Just search on their site for strip timer and it should take you right to it.

/ Block Heater #47  
I recently installed a block heater in my B3030 and have used it a few times so far this winter. It's a screw-in type designed to heat just the coolant. On a 10 degree morning, plugging it in for 1 1/2 to 2 hours warmed up not only the coolant but just about everything else under the hood. The engine fired up as soon as I turned the key. I would recommend one. The hardest part of the install was removing the existing plug from the side of the engine - very tight.

View attachment 297323

View attachment 297322

I installed the same 2 years ago.. Great cheapo investment... I plug it in for 10 minutes...have a coffee, takes the curse off the cold start then idle for 5 minutes to let the hyd fluid warm up...

Some guys put the block heater on a timer if they know what time they're going to start in the morning...

/ Block Heater #48  
I just ordered a Skylink PA-318 1500W Plug-In Receiver and a Skylink TC-318-3 3 Button Skylinkpad Remote Control from Amazon. The Skylink claims to have a 500 ft range. Hope it will have the range I need to reach my machine shed about 300 ft. If it will at least turn off and on when I drive past the machine shed that will work as well.

I just installed my new remote recepticle. It's was very easy to program and hook up.

I installed it in my metal machine shed. Range is about 120 ft down the road. Not what I was hoping, but at least I can turn on my block heater as I drive past the machine shed on my way home from work. I programmed one button to run for 60 minutes before shutting off and the another button to off/on.

I think it will work for what I need.

/ Block Heater #49  

ST01 Series

Philip.

I have the same timer on my lamp post in the front yard. Works well but I have had to replace the battery once, a little pricey. It's nice because it has a dusk and dawn setting that adjusts depending on the time of the year.

/ Block Heater #50  
I just installed my new remote recepticle. It's was very easy to program and hook up.

I installed it in my metal machine shed. Range is about 120 ft down the road. Not what I was hoping, but at least I can turn on my block heater as I drive past the machine shed on my way home from work. I programmed one button to run for 60 minutes before shutting off and the another button to off/on.

I think it will work for what I need.
The metal could be blocking the signal. Do you have a window you can put it in?