Block Heater

/ Block Heater #1  

Onederdog

Bronze Member
Tractor
Kubota L45
Hey Guys, I'm wondering what type of block heater you are using? Lately, we've had temps down in the single digits and when I started my L45 last time it was really blowing out a lot of gray smoke and you could tell it was struggling with the cold oil. It's only got about 30 hrs. on it so I was a little concerned and thought maybe I should pick up a heater of some kind. It is kept under cover, but only in a three sided leanto.

/ Block Heater #2  
I use an inline in the lower rad hose. Which works well on B7100 since it has no thermostat or water pump to inhibit circulation by convection.
If I do have to start cold, I give it a minute or so of glow plug, start and then hit the glow plugs again (10 -30 seconds?) until it fires nice on all cylinders and there is no diesel mist (gray smoke).
I'm not certain if that is a glow plug no no, but it works well.

/ Block Heater
Thanks Tig, anyone ever use the magnetic type on the oil pan?

/ Block Heater #4  
No, I've never used one but I did consider it for the Hydrostatic tranny when I lived a bit further north and we were seeing -25C and -35C on a regular basis. Past few years winter seems to be one long November/March. To me the magnetic ones seemed inefficient since they were on the outside of the engine, although anything that warms the oil like that has got to be good for the engine.
Back in the really cold days I would throw an old sleeping bag over the hood of whatever I had plugged in. It helps capture the heat and lets the heat spread around in the engine compartment. That would work with a magnetic heater too.

/ Block Heater #5  
i personally prefer the heaters that warm the coolant. since the water jacket surrounds so much of the engine i like to think it heats up more of it, more evenly. even though things don't get too cold here i just bought a freeze-plug type for my BX, to be installed at the next coolant flush. warmer engine/oil > colder engine/oil at start in my opinion, and i only plan to run it when i know i'll be using the machine to save on power.

/ Block Heater #6  
I have started my L3940 in 0F mornings with no issues without any heaters. Fresh seasonal fuel, Power Service white bottle, 5w-40 synthetic oil. All the colder it ever gets here is 0F, and I don't think it is worth the bother to add heater and worry about plugging it in or waiting for it to warm up to start. Philip.

/ Block Heater #7  
I have the screw-in-block heater type made by Zero Start, a freeze plug heater should work just as good. Anyway, when it was 20 degrees in my garage, my infrared temp gun was showing about 85 degrees emitting from the block after a couple hours of heat-up time.

/ Block Heater #8  
HeLa said:
i personally prefer the heaters that warm the coolant. since the water jacket surrounds so much of the engine i like to think it heats up more of it, more evenly. even though things don't get too cold here i just bought a freeze-plug type for my BX, to be installed at the next coolant flush. warmer engine/oil > colder engine/oil at start in my opinion, and i only plan to run it when i know i'll be using the machine to save on power.

Was just wondering why could t a person take a heater made for waterlines to prevent freezing and wrap it around tractor water hose. Just wondering if anybody ever tried it

/ Block Heater #9  
I have the kubota screw in on my m8540 if its above 10°F 30 minutes warms the block enough it does not hit the glow plugs and starts great below 5°f i let it go longer no more than an hour. Only problem is still have to let Trans warm up for a while 10 - 20 minutes usually before she shifts nicely
If you use the screw in type use an anaerobic thread sealant similar to lock tight tried tape and regular thread sealant twice would not seal.
Oh yeah have fun getting the plug out mine took 400- 500 ft lbs to break it loose. Breaker bar with cheater pipe and me jumping onto it

Dave

/ Block Heater #10  
Was just wondering why could t a person take a heater made for waterlines to prevent freezing and wrap it around tractor water hose. Just wondering if anybody ever tried it

Are you talking about heat tape? If yes I would be concerned that it may hot spot and melt the rubber hose. I know from experience that it will melt PVC pipe. Other problem is would you get any circulation of fluid through the block?