L4400 cracked rear hubs

/ L4400 cracked rear hubs #31  
One more thing: I AM METICULOUSLY keeping those rear tires 'airborne' during every BH session!!

You could also add a little LocTite to the threads.

Anyway, glad it worked.

/ L4400 cracked rear hubs #33  
Hey Guys, Its been awhile since I have posted on this issue.....3.5 years. I drilled the end of all my hairline cracks and ground out the crack before welding each one. Then I had 1/4" plates cut to fit inside the rim.....drilled them to match the bolt pattern and then turned them so the new plates holes were midway between the factory holes on the wheel. I then welded the factory holes to the new plate (which was outside of the wheel) and drilled the factory rim thru the holes in the plate and put in a bit longer lug bolt. 3.5 years later it is still holding strong. I do watch the lug bolts for tightness more then I used to as I think loose lug bolts were the cause of my problem.

/ L4400 cracked rear hubs #34  
Then I had 1/4" plates cut to fit inside the rim.....drilled them to match the bolt pattern
and then turned them so the new plates holes were midway between the factory holes on the wheel.

That is the way to do it.

I am not a fan of thread-locker compounds on wheel studs. These have to be removed now and then, and rear
lugs are already torqued to over 200 ft-lbs in many cases. You would have trouble getting Locktited lug nuts
off without using heat. Properly torqued and lubed nuts are fine, IMO.

/ L4400 cracked rear hubs #35  
I read somewhere that keeping the rear wheels elevated while using the backhoe will cause the lugs to back out. Don't know how that works and if that is valid but it might explain why the studs are loosening.

/ L4400 cracked rear hubs #36  
I know this is way late, but I appreciate the ideas. I found that as I keep tightening the ever loosening wheels the lock washers end up eating into the dish. Once they've chewed in far enough the spider cracks begin. Also the holes get widened out so at the end they're ovals instead of circles. I've got a lot more hope for the flat hardened washers.

Attachments

• 20200301_151946.jpg
    20200301_151946.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 101
   / L4400 cracked rear hubs #37  
Dirt Dog...That is really strange. It likely started as loose bolts but we're way past that now. They sell steel bolt circles but I'm not sure if they will have your bolt pattern. If I recall, mine was some odd metric dimension. Better do that or replace that center section fast before you get into greater trouble. Lots of junkyards in the upper midwest that will likely have a used one. You just have to check around.

If you could find a center section that you bolt on over your wheel, tack weld in place and then remove for welding. Most are 1/2" thick. I know that Unverferth Wheel in Ohio will make them but surely there might be someone else. Also try the used wheel thing. I've seen them listed for sale in either Michigan or Wisconsin.