l5450 pto

/ l5450 pto #1  

generalJ

Tractor
kubota l5450
hi all i just purchaced a l5450 and was reading the owners manual it said not to run pto clutch in the disengaged position or clutch/pilot bearing wear will accur.I dont under stand is it a typeo

/ l5450 pto #2  
What they don't want is you to have the clutch halfway down to disengage the transmission, but sit there running the PTO for an extended period of time. If you need to stop for a second and let the PTO run, pull the tractor out of gear and release the clutch all of the way. Basically, don't "ride" the clutch. Make sense?

/ l5450 pto #3  
It's not a typo - and I don't think it's about partial engagement either.

The L5450's pto clutch is disengaged by lifting the lever, and a push-button latch holds it there. While the lever is up, there's heavy clutch spring force against the release bearing and against the flanged crank bearing. On some smaller tractors with that setup, there have been reports of the constant force eventually causing crank bearing or release bearing failures. Hence the recommendation is not to leave the pto clutch disengaged for long periods (hundreds of hours). It's easy to overlook, because the lever needs to be raised for starting the engine. It's good to get into the habit of lowering the pto clutch lever after starting. If you don't want the pto to turn, slip the pto gearbox into neutral.

/ l5450 pto
thank you that makes more sense Ill make sure i put the lever down