Snow blower problem....

/ Snow blower problem.... #1  

ges

Bronze Member
Just bought a new BX2750 front snow blower. Had it delivered to the house, in the crate.
Also got the elect. chute deflector and hyd. rotator. Not bad to set up except some bolts are SAE and some metric.

The problem is hooking up the drive shafts. Nether the blower shaft or the long drive PTO shafts will slide onto the adapter splins?
I checked for index, wire brushed with the drill motor to de-burr it, greased it. No go?
Has anyone ever had this problem? I think it may be the wrong short splin shaft was shipped in the kit?

Guess I'll call the dealer Monday.

Thanks, George.

Oh ya, it's on a BX25.

/ Snow blower problem.... #2  
Not quite sure what you mean. I have the 2750 albeit an older one. There is only ONE female spline (long shaft) that fits on the quick hitch adapter. That should be the easy one, connect first. The other end of the long shaft goes onto mid PTO. I leave mid pto not engaged so I can rotate it easily. Getting it started while lying underneath can be frustrating but it usually goes on. Lubricate as needed which is seems you are. The other end of the quick hitch PTO has rectangle shaft which fits the shaft coming from the blower. I forget which is male and female. That usually goes on very easy. I doubt that spline on quick hitch shaft is oversize....... just burrs, and straight on??????

/ Snow blower problem....
Yes, the female spline (long shaft) that fits on the quick hitch adapter won't go on. The PTO end is OK. It goes on just like the mower shaft, easy.

The other end of the quick hitch adapter also has a male spline. The shaft from the blower is supposed to slide onto this. It has the locking collar just like your mid PYO end. It won't slide onto the spline either?

Keep thinkin, it's helpin me. George.

/ Snow blower problem.... #4  
Just for grins I would take off the sub-frame and try fitting the shaft from the mid pto while they are on the ground. Once you find the fit I would mark the drive shaft and the sub frame shaft with a bit of paint so it would go together once you get the sub frame back on the tractor.

Thank's Sandyc,

I tried that too. The long shaft went on about a 1/2 inch, that was it? And then to get it off, it was a bear.

I did not try the short shaft while the blower was off. I should have tried them both right out of the box, but.....?

I looked at the mower shaft, and it is indexed. I can see where they have put a weld bead on the male end of the spline.
Don't have that on this shaft?

I think, ( what ever you machinists call it) it is a bad spline broach? Like not fine finished. I don't know?

George.

/ Snow blower problem.... #6  
Was the wife helping??? I know sometimes that will frag everything.

Was the wife helping??? I know sometimes that will frag everything.

Oh man..... where are the smilley faces?? If you only knew, don't get me started.........

Well it's 8am here and I called the dealer.

The service mgr. said that the area rep. told him in December, around Christmas that there are a few of these shafts that are bad.
If the dealer was to get one, don't file it or anything. Replace it and send the old one back to factory.

So, the dealer is ordering a new one and replaceing it. New bearings and all. I lock tighted the set screws per the manuel.

Now I feel better. Not because I was right, but because I'm not going crazy.............yet.

Thank's for everyone who tried to help. Love this site.

George.

Droped the parts off at the Dealer. Should have new shaft by Friday, and no snow in the forcast.

Later, George.

FYI. Got the new shaft from the factory/dealer for the adapter.

Works like a snap. Slides on like it should, very easy. Not indexed either so no need to paint marks.

So, there are some bad ones floatin around out there. Beware........

Later, George.