Shear pins

/ Shear pins #1  

fordman

Tractor
Kubota B-2910
I was wondering what most everyone is using for there shear pins? When brush hogging is everyone using a soft Grade 2 bolt ,so it wont damage the gear box,or a grade 5 bolt. It seems like the grade 2 is really to soft sometimes and they get broken all the time.I know thats the general idea, but I have done the same thing with those grade 5 bolts and I have never damaged anything.

/ Shear pins #2  
Hi fordman,

I think you'll find most everyone here follows their manuals, which typically recommends grade 2 bolts. It's not the gear box I'm worried about, it's the tractors PTO.

I got tired of changing shear bolts too and so upgraded to a slip clutch. If you search through the archives there are lots of discussions on shear bolts and slip clutches.

Tom

/ Shear pins
Thanks twabscs
You wont believe this, But I have double checked in the Kubota's manuals and it does not say anything about it anywhere. So I called the manufacturing company of my brush hog and they said to use grade 5. I asked them about PTO damage and they said, thats all they have ever used for many years with no problems.Bye the way....that is Howse MFG.

/ Shear pins #4  
I have a tiller that uses grade 5 shear bolts.

Just because most people say to use a grade 2 doesn't mean it's the right one /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif