Switching from Category I to Category II on the PTO Hitch?

/ Switching from Category I to Category II on the PTO Hitch? #1  

SanDucerro

Gold Member
Tractor
Kubota M7040 - L3130 - ZD326S
My L3130 which I've had for 10 years - has a Cat I hitch and all of my attachments are of course Cat I.

I just bought a new M7040 which comes with a Cat I / II hitch. The factory setting on the M7040 is Cat II. I understand switching to Cat I is simply a matter of changing out bushings - correct? I'm having the dealer switch the hitch to Cat I, but I'd like to know what I'll need to do to convert it back to Cat II should the need arise. Is this something that requires any great effort, or is this something extremely simple?

Thanks!

/ Switching from Category I to Category II on the PTO Hitch? #2  
The easiest way to use Cat I implements on a Cat II hitch is to put Cat I-II bushings on your implements.
If it were me, I'd get a set of bushings for every implement I had. Remenber that it takes 2 lower and 1 upper for each implement. That way, you'll beable to keep the tractor at Catt II.

/ Switching from Category I to Category II on the PTO Hitch?
Guess I better call my salesman back in the morning...

/ Switching from Category I to Category II on the PTO Hitch? #4  
You can go one direction but you can't go back. That is, if you have CAT 2 on your tractor then you can use CAT 1 & CAT 2 implements. If you have CAT 1 on the tractor then you can only use CAT 1 implements. If you ever run across a CAT 2 implement that you want then you are SOL. That is, unless you want to spend big bucks on a aftermarket CAT 2 set-up for the tractor.

Plus, CAT 2 is usually heavier duty. If it were me (and it was when I bought the M7040) I'd go with the CAT 2 and open up a world of possibilities.

One last thing - be careful with your CAT 1 implements on the M7040. It has the ability to turn a light CAT 1 implement into a pretzel.

Perhaps those are the bushings the salesman was talking about... He said he need to look for some. I thought he was going to replace the ones on the tractor, but I may be mistaken. At any rate, I've already e-mailed him and I'll call first thing in the morning. Thanks!

/ Switching from Category I to Category II on the PTO Hitch? #6  
Category 1 is for tractors to 48 PTO HP and Category 2 is for tractors to 92 PTO HP. My L5740 came with Cat 1 - 2 which by the specs meets Cat 2 pin diameters and link dimensions but also can attach to Cat 1 with bushings. Actually, I changed the pins on my Cat 1 attachments to Cat 2 where possible. My L5740 upper link was Cat 1 pin size on the swivel bushing end that attached to the tractor and Cat 2 size on the Cat 2 end that attaches to the implement. Mine broke at the tractor end. I changed to a full Cat 2 with a bushing to size for the smaller pin diameter at the transmission housing bracket and haven't had any further problems. I would recommend keeping the tractor as is and upsize pins on your Cat 1 equipment if possible or use bushings if not possible to upsize the pins.

Well, luckily my salesman knew more about this than I. :laughing: He knew what I "really" wanted and is bringing a set of bushings with him when he delivers. The tractor is remaining Cat II of course...

/ Switching from Category I to Category II on the PTO Hitch? #8  
Sounds like your dealer not only has good prices but also good knowledge. You can buy the bushing or pins at tractor supply or similar stores.

Dave

/ Switching from Category I to Category II on the PTO Hitch? #9  
I think we all know what you mean, but its the lift, not the pto. ;)

I think we all know what you mean, but its the lift, not the pto. ;)
I'd see if I could edit the thread title, but I think needing to ask the question in the first place probably identified me as someone who's new to all this tractor stuff - even if I have owned my L3130 for ten years! What can I say - it's a learning game. The more questions I ask the more knowledge I gain! :D