UDT vs SUDT vs SUDT2?

/ UDT vs SUDT vs SUDT2? #1  

Howard92

Bronze Member
Tractor
B2920 Kubota, GT275 Deere
I have a brand new B2920 and I want to buy some spare hydraulic fluid to keep on hand. The owners manual refers to UDT and Super UDT for the transmission. It also refers to UDT and Super UDT and 80W-90 for the front axle.

The manual is a little confussing, but it seems to indicate that Super UDT is what was put in at the factory. If so, I would like to keep using the same stuff. Does that make sense?

I found some references to SUDT2. Did that replace SUDT?

Thanks for any help,
Howard

/ UDT vs SUDT vs SUDT2? #2  
SUDT2 is the new synthetic fluid. Kubota claims it compatible with UDT and SUDT, so that's what I stock (and switched to when changing my fluid). I also noticed that SUDT2 quieted down the whining noise in my BX, especially at low temps, which is a great benefit.

PLENTY of reading and opinions on fluids here in the forums, do a search. Here's a good place to start:
http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/oil-fuel-lubricants/192543-new-kubota-sudt2.html

Congrats on the new machine!

Last edited:
   / UDT vs SUDT vs SUDT2? #3  
I have a brand new B2920 and I want to buy some spare hydraulic fluid to keep on hand. The owners manual refers to UDT and Super UDT for the transmission. It also refers to UDT and Super UDT and 80W-90 for the front axle.

The manual is a little confussing, but it seems to indicate that Super UDT is what was put in at the factory. If so, I would like to keep using the same stuff. Does that make sense?

I found some references to SUDT2. Did that replace SUDT?

Thanks for any help,
Howard

I'm curious myself. I did just read a post, actually 2, where the guys said when they changed the fluid in their BX's, they used SUDT2 and it made a big difference. The noise level, or the whine, was much quieter. If so, I would say its well worth using. I know I will be using it when I do my next fluid change.

/ UDT vs SUDT vs SUDT2? #4  
My dealer told me that superudt and superudt2 is about the same and K doesn't even make udt anymore.
As I was told, they're both semi-synths, just have different(more?) additives to help the noise(though you will get differing opinions here, I'm sure). The front axle is filled with the same fluid as the hst from the factory, but can be changed out with synth, semi-synth or conventional 80-90 gear oil. Assuming the available udt's are semi-synth, and cost between $3-$4 qt, an off the shelf brand of semi-synth 80-90 costs about $3 or less(this is what I have been using for years in my air cooled VWs). Later in your tractors life, if the seals start leaking or you notice stiffer steering and the level is still full, it may be time to change to the thicker conventional 80-90. This is only for the front axle - always use the udt you choose for hst - IMO.
***You should check the level of your new front axle asap(NOW)as after a little use it will be, sometimes, significantly low due to the fluid setteling in all the recesses, the cap pops right out, the stick is a little hard to read- have plenty of light***

Last edited:
   / UDT vs SUDT vs SUDT2? #5  
I'm curious myself, I have used different brands over the years in our Kubota and John Deere HST's and couldn't tell any difference in any of them. I will need to decide which way to go when I need to change the fluid in my 5740.

/ UDT vs SUDT vs SUDT2? #6  
Glad I live in Canada.. the only choice here is UDT Premium. Which I suspect is plain old UDT with a cold-weather additive package. I've never seen either plain UDT or SUDT, and have been told the dealers here don't have access to either one.

Which begs the question, why doesn't Kubota simply supersede the old spec with the new, and as soon as the new product becomes available stop stocking the old one?? It's like going to the auto parts store and asking for an API rated oil that hasn't been current in 20 years. You won't get it.

As an example, Honda recently switched to a full synthetic ATF in all their cars. As soon as the new one came out (it's fully backward compatible) the old one was no longer produced beyond what was on stockroom shelves. Too easy.

Sean

/ UDT vs SUDT vs SUDT2? #7  
I recommend Amsoil. Why? For years I suffered with a power steering problem. After about an hour of hard mowing I'd lose power steering when I turned left. I tried UDT, Super UDT, Bobcat hydraulic fluid and others. It was only after I switched to Amsoil did my power steering start working the way in which it should. My B2400 was like a new tractor. BTW I did not notice any difference in any of the other hydraulic fluids I used.

/ UDT vs SUDT vs SUDT2?
Just got back from the dealer. They only had UDT and SUDT2. I got a gal of the SUDT2 for about $23 (I think).

I used to run Amsoil in the Atlas transfer case on my jeep because that's what came in it. Switched over to Redline when I had used up all my Amsoil and noticed a big improvement in shifting.

/ UDT vs SUDT vs SUDT2? #9  
I just posted another thread about a plugged filter. When I did my service, I switched from regular UDT to SUDT2. It was $107 vs $87, so I figured for another 20 bucks I'll give it a whirl. The reduction in hydro whine was amazing! I have a B2630 with 300 hrs. and the tranny is a little whiny normally - has been from day 1 and I consider this normal for a hydro machine. With the super, the whine is all but gone. Dramatic difference for anyone who's looking to give it a try.

/ UDT vs SUDT vs SUDT2? #10  
I recommend Amsoil. Why? For years I suffered with a power steering problem. After about an hour of hard mowing I'd lose power steering when I turned left. I tried UDT, Super UDT, Bobcat hydraulic fluid and others. It was only after I switched to Amsoil did my power steering start working the way in which it should. My B2400 was like a new tractor. BTW I did not notice any difference in any of the other hydraulic fluids I used.

I changed to Amsoil in my TC40D. There was much less HST whine especially in the winter. Big improvement in cold weather operation.