Backhoe Auto Return acting funny on B20 I just bought. Is there a simple way to bypass this?

/ Auto Return acting funny on B20 I just bought. Is there a simple way to bypass this? #1  

Conn1962

Tractor
None
The backhoe will either not go left or right or just wander left on its own. Just bought machine last week! Help please.

/ Auto Return acting funny on B20 I just bought. Is there a simple way to bypass this? #2  
:welcome: Take it back to your dealer.

/ Auto Return acting funny on B20 I just bought. Is there a simple way to bypass this?
It was a private sale.

/ Auto Return acting funny on B20 I just bought. Is there a simple way to bypass this? #4  
Well Conn1962,

I hope you got a good deal, but at the same time did you buy this sight unseen without testing the BH?

How many hours and what price? Did you get service records and last oil / hyd change detail?

First things,drive it around a bit, get it warm and work the BH check operation of the hyd pump, loader, then see whats working and not, then when warmed up, change the fluids with Kubota SUDT and fliters, and check the strainer in the suction line too.

Once thats done, and the L>R>L and BH still dont work, then the springs and detents in the BH valves may be stuck - it could be a linkage but I doubt it. It's probably crud in the valve or return detent - which is the cap at the bottom of the stacked valves. You can do one at a time or remove the whole BH assy - not a major repair but lots of connections to deal with.

Good luck with your new to you B20!

Carl

/ Auto Return acting funny on B20 I just bought. Is there a simple way to bypass this? #5  
Conn1962,

Just saw your other post about $12,500 for a B20 - thats high for a 1986-88 B20 i would think $10-11K for a 1000 hr machine in good shape to cost.

Oh well, you own it now, its a tough little machine so get it running and working well and you will be happy.

For reference I tried to sell my B21 last year with 400 hrs in very good shape, owned since new, always stored inside, no bites @ $16K - some lowball offers at $12K..

Carl

/ Auto Return acting funny on B20 I just bought. Is there a simple way to bypass this? #6  
I have owned a 1991 b20 since 2006. Great strong machine. reliable and runs awesome. The only issue the entire 6 years has been the left/right backhoe swing issue. It is def. related to the auto return. Sometimes turning the engine off/on with reset the system and the left/right swing will work. Others times it doesn't. The solution seems to be to skip over the auto return and rewire it. The dealer thought about $500 fix. Some just use it as is and deal with it.

I have act. decided to sell mine this year and buy a smaller b with a loader and midmount. Too bad I didnt log in a month ago before you bought one, I'm just west of Boston. Any other buyers feel free to check out my listing: Kubota B20/B21 Tractor Loader Backhoe

/ Auto Return acting funny on B20 I just bought. Is there a simple way to bypass this? #7  
   / Auto Return acting funny on B20 I just bought. Is there a simple way to bypass this? #8  
Thanks for thinking of me, however I would like to sell as a package. Man I didn't think it was going to be so hard to list it for sale. I personally have put the 400 hours on it since 06. Hard to part with.

/ Auto Return acting funny on B20 I just bought. Is there a simple way to bypass this? #9  
Josolar,

I was referring to you selling him your whole machine - cant sell the BH separately I know - good luck but I think you will find what I found, people look at a BX25 or similar a lot newer and will go that direction.

Thats what I found - mine has 450 hours in 12 years, so I'm on target to have 1000 hours in 15 more years..

/ Auto Return acting funny on B20 I just bought. Is there a simple way to bypass this? #10  
I hear ya. The BX can't compare to the power and quality of the B20/21, as I'm sure you know. The power is really needed when talking about backhoe use. Even though I'm downsizing, I'm looking a the b2620 or 2920. The BX has too much plastic and not big enough for me. I have had some interest in my B20 for sale, but the offers are a little low so far. I figure I would post it now, but might not be sold till Spring. We'll see. Let me know if you see any low hour b2620 or 2920 in New england. Thanks