MX5100 Jerky 3pt hitch

/ MX5100 Jerky 3pt hitch #21  
I'm one of the lucky ones - no problem with mine. Love my tractor so far with no problems that I know of.

/ MX5100 Jerky 3pt hitch
I'm one of the lucky ones - no problem with mine. Love my tractor so far with no problems that I know of.

Do you use a box blade on the 3pt and if so, can you raise it very slowly without it jumping up several inches at a time? Mine is smooth when lowering and if I raise it quickly, but jerks like crazy if I try to feather it up slowly.

/ MX5100 Jerky 3pt hitch #23  
Do you use a box blade on the 3pt and if so, can you raise it very slowly without it jumping up several inches at a time? Mine is smooth when lowering and if I raise it quickly, but jerks like crazy if I try to feather it up slowly.

I can do just that without any issue. I've got just shy of 400hrs on the machine at this point.

/ MX5100 Jerky 3pt hitch #24  
I was also considering returning it for a L4240. How does the 3pt hitch operation compare? Is it smooth and can you easily feather up on it with a box blade? I test drove one before I bought the MX and really liked it. Only reservation I have about trading the MX for it is dropping the 8 hp. I think the loader is comparable and the 3pt capacity is actually higher though.

Overall are you happy with the move you made?

Sorry to be so slow to respond. However, in answer to your questions, the three point hitch operation is very smooth - as smooth up as it is down, and as good as any tractor I have seen. This is the case for a light implement, such as a back blade (mine is a 6' Rhino, probably weighing ~ 500 lb) and for a heavy implement such as my ballast box, which weighs in at about 1200 lb. I cannot see much effect of the lower horsepower over the L4600.

I liked the L4600 very much, but like the L4620 better, and am very happy with it. They both had HST, but the L4240 has an automatic throttle control, which is a delight. The loader on my L4240 is the LA 854 which I think is the same as on the MX5100. The loader on the L4600 was a lighter model (LA764).

I Live in very hilly country, so have the rear R4 wheels set in their widest stance. I also have Rimguard in all four wheels. With the ballast box, the tractor weighs about 8100 lb. It gives me a very good feeling wrt. stability. It is still quite new to me, but I like it very much and recommend it highly.

/ MX5100 Jerky 3pt hitch #25  

I only have about 16 hours on the tractor - but I have used it with a box blade and I don't recall it jerking.

/ MX5100 Jerky 3pt hitch
Update from my dealer who has been working with Kubota techs on the jerky 3pt hitch. According to Kubota, the 3pt hitch on the MX and the Standard L is manufactured to have a fairly large tolerance range in "smoothness". The Grand L and the M series tractors have additional components included that are designed to regulate the hydraulic flow better and provide a smooth operating 3pt hitch.

My understanding based on the information from Kubota, is that the reason why some Standard L's and MX tractors do not seem to have the jerky hitch is due to the wide range of tolerance within the linkage and how it may have been manufactured and assembled. So as we have seen some are "born" with it and others are not, just a luck of the draw...

Dealer said they can open it up and try to adjust the linkage, but estimated a slim chance that it might make it some better. However, with the design of the 3pt on these "standard" models, it will never match the performance or smoothness of the Grand L or M series.

Of course, I would have never bought the MX5100 if I knew the 3pt was going to be jerky.

My dealer has been great to try to help me with this and has offered for me to return it and swap for a Grand L or M series.

/ MX5100 Jerky 3pt hitch #27  
Update from my dealer who has been working with Kubota techs on the jerky 3pt hitch. According to Kubota, the 3pt hitch on the MX and the Standard L is manufactured to have a fairly large tolerance range in "smoothness". The Grand L and the M series tractors have additional components included that are designed to regulate the hydraulic flow better and provide a smooth operating 3pt hitch.

My understanding based on the information from Kubota, is that the reason why some Standard L's and MX tractors do not seem to have the jerky hitch is due to the wide range of tolerance within the linkage and how it may have been manufactured and assembled. So as we have seen some are "born" with it and others are not, just a luck of the draw...

Dealer said they can open it up and try to adjust the linkage, but estimated a slim chance that it might make it some better. However, with the design of the 3pt on these "standard" models, it will never match the performance or smoothness of the Grand L or M series.

Of course, I would have never bought the MX5100 if I knew the 3pt was going to be jerky.

My dealer has been great to try to help me with this and has offered for me to return it and swap for a Grand L or M series.

Well that is a bunch better explanation than I got from my selling dealer or the Kubota Regional rep.. My guess is if you want a smoother 3pt on a Kubota go swap it for a nice Grand L or go around to different dealers and have them put a box blade on some different MX5100's and try them out . But it if bothers you now for the type of work you do, it will just be a "wart" for the rest of your life and a source of irritation. I would suggest trading it off soon while the dealer is sympathetic.

James K0UA

/ MX5100 Jerky 3pt hitch
Well that is a bunch better explanation than I got from my selling dealer or the Kubota Regional rep.. My guess is if you want a smoother 3pt on a Kubota go swap it for a nice Grand L or go around to different dealers and have them put a box blade on some different MX5100's and try them out . But it if bothers you now for the type of work you do, it will just be a "wart" for the rest of your life and a source of irritation. I would suggest trading it off soon while the dealer is sympathetic.

James K0UA

I thought the explanation made sense, disappointing, but understandable... explains why some have it bad, some not so bad, and some not at all. Also explains why it can't be easily fixed.

I hesitate to admit it, but I do think that is the kind of thing that would bother me long-term. I would fully expect a $25K tractor to be able to raise a box blade slowly without bouncing the tractor. I could live with it, and "make it work" for me, but I think it would be an on-going source of frustration for me.

/ MX5100 Jerky 3pt hitch #29  
I thought the explanation made sense, disappointing, but understandable... explains why some have it bad, some not so bad, and some not at all. Also explains why it can't be easily fixed.

I hesitate to admit it, but I do think that is the kind of thing that would bother me long-term. I would fully expect a $25K tractor to be able to raise a box blade slowly without bouncing the tractor. I could live with it, and "make it work" for me, but I think it would be an on-going source of frustration for me.

Well, I don't know how much it would cost you to upgrade, but now's my chance to pay it forward to all the people who helped me spend my money when I was thinking of upgrading:) Go for it, you wont regret it. The extra amount of money that you will spend now will be forgotten and insignificant over the many, many years that you'll own the tractor. Making your life easier, more productive and more enjoyable with the "Deluxe" features that you would get with the upgrade is priceless. The extra lifting power you'd get also won't go to waste with that nice grapple you have on the front either.

GO for it, you know you wwwwwannnntttt to!!!

/ MX5100 Jerky 3pt hitch #30  
I agree with Ken on one point at least.. if you think it'll bother you, now IS the time to make the move. My L3400 is better than some, worse than others. I don't do a lot of precise grading with it, and I like the tractor otherwise. If I could fix it cheaply, up to about $500 out of pocket, I would. Any more than that and the improvement wouldn't be worth it to me.

I think my approach would be to get the best price you can out of the dealer for an "upgrade" to a model with a smooth hitch, then sit down and think for a couple days whether the improvement is going to be worth X dollars over the long run. Then make your decision. $5000 or more is a lot of scratch for a smooth hitch if the MX is a good fit other than the 3pt.

I think I'd be pissed if I wasn't offered my money back. After all, you committed to buy a Kubota costing $25K, not one for $30K+. If the $25K tractor isn't suitable and you weren't aware of the hitch issue when you bought it, then why should they be able to leverage you into either keeping it as is, or force you to spend more to upgrade? I know they've tried to make it work, but it just doesn't feel right to me as a way of doing business. If the dealer thought there was nothing wrong with it, they wouldn't have tried to "fix" it.

Put it this way, if you had $25K to spend and you knew Kubota didn't have a 51 HP tractor with the smooth hitch you needed for $25K, you would have had a Deere or New Holland in the barn, as an example.

I don't want to seem unreasonable, but I think it's a poor way for a company to do business.

Sean