3-Point Hitch M5140

/ M5140 #1  

71Loadstar

Tractor
Kubota m5140
My 3ph is weak it's a new tractor with 100 hrs. Dealer came out and set the relief at 2800 psi and it still will only pick 2400 lbs plus my skidding winch at 575lbs = 2975. It's is rated for 3307lbs. I would think that would be able to pick even more that that with the pressure turned up? I am using a dynamometer to test these results and I am able to pick 3000lbs with the fel la1153.. Any thoughs? My dealer is at a dead end! The fel also has the 3rd function.. I can completely pick up a beach log with the fel and the 3ph won't pick one end of the log!

/ M5140 #2  
Sounds like something is definately wrong. Any visible leaks where the hydraulic lines connect to the 3pt lift cylinders (assuming external cylinders) or on the cylinders themselves? Not sure if the 3 pt has a different relief than the rest of the hydrualics or not.

/ M5140 #3  
The 3-point has a separate relief or safety valve, usually set quite a bit higher than the system max. operating pressure. 3200 psi comes to mind. I think it's designed so a sudden applied load can't damage the tractor or flip it. My manual shows adjusting it using an injector test pump, it's hard to get that high a pressure otherwise. If the safety valve is opening below the 2800 psi the main relief is set at, it'll never be able to use that pressure. There MIGHT be a test point on the 3 point cylinder where you can check the pressure being applied to it.

Sean

/ M5140
Yes it has external cylinders with no visible leaks! Does anyone have a shop service manual with the correct 3ph pressures and check points? Thanks for the replies...

/ M5140 #5  
If you have external cylinders, you can tee into one of them at the hose end and check the applied pressure while trying to lift something that it can't move.. also, bear in mind that the advertised lift force of 3307 pounds is a calculated value, and is probably derived at the ball ends, not any distance behind the lift arms. Is there more than one set of holes in the lift arms for the cylinder ends to attach to? If there are, the inner set of holes will give decreased lift capability but greater travel, while the outer set will be the opposite.

Sean

/ M5140
Thanks I am in the rear holes on the arms which increased it 200 lbs from 2200lbs.

/ M5140 #7  
if you have the bucket on when trying to lift stuff its 1800ibs at the cutting edge alot less with forks on it mine wouldnt lift a skid of road salt put the cylinder in the lower hole the power hole the upper is for hieght

/ M5140
I have a ~450 lbs grapple on the fel and I was still able to pull 3000lbs on the dynameter. The dealer also turned up the pressure on the loader and it is now lifting fine. It will almost lift the loaded rears off the ground. The only trouble is the weak 3ph.

/ M5140 #9  
I would think that would be able to pick even more that that with the pressure turned up? I am using a dynamometer to test these results !

My experience with a dynamometer is checking engine horsepower. How does one check hyd lift capacity with a dynamometer? Thanks,Jim

/ M5140 #10  
a dyno for checking pressure huh must be a new thing there is no way a 7040 will lift 3k at the cutting edge or with forks on it and the 3 pt is weak to