Rear differential not locking in

/ Rear differential not locking in #1  

Brimfield

Silver Member
Tractor
Kubota L 3800
I have a L3800 hydro stat and it is great. This fall I moved fire wood and the rear wheel was spinning I stopped pressed down the differential lock and it pulled out. I disengaged it before the drive way and used it a couple of times since then. Last snow I tried it and it did not want to go in. I was in low at a stop and tried to work it in slowly in reverse and forward, no luck. Today I tried it and it went in and popped out within 15 feet going forward no turns and it will do this in 2wd and 4wd. Anything I missed here? Like I said pressure pushing down on the rear differential lever slow forward movement and if it goes in it comes out.

/ Rear differential not locking in #2  
Are you holding down on the diff lock pedal? Most are designed to pop out shortly after releasing the pedal.

/ Rear differential not locking in #3  
Like Don said, it is spring loaded to come out if you don't keep your heel on the pedal. Usually it won't engage unless the wheels are spinning slowly. I think there is a spring on the pedal as well, so if you push the pedal down with the wheels stopped not much happens until the wheel turns, then it dogs in and turns both.

Sean

/ Rear differential not locking in #4  
I find on my B9200 that quite a bit of down pressure must be maintained with the heel to keep the lock engaged, when driving in a straight line, of course. A little more leverage would be nice.

/ Rear differential not locking in
Yea I did get it to engage by going slowly. I just did not know that it was spring loaded, I thought it was like the 4wd and was engaged untill you took it out. Good to know.