Hydrostat Forward/Reverse Rocket Pedal--Not My Favorite Method

/ Hydrostat Forward/Reverse Rocket Pedal--Not My Favorite Method #1  

npalen

Elite Member
Tractor
Kubota B9200 HSTD and Mahindra 3015
Kubota B9200 Hydrostat--has the forward-toe/reverse-heel pedal. I find this very awkward to use even after plenty of seat time to feel comfortable with the tractor. I've had occasions where when mounting the tractor I accidentally stepped on the reverse-heel pedal. I've learned to overcome the awkwardness of operation by using my boot toe under the forward-pedal pulling it backwards. I had seen this mentioned by someone else on TBN and find that it works well. I'm to the point of wondering if I should cut off the lever holding the reverse-heel pedal removing it from the rocker that also mounts the forward-pedal. Hate to modifiy something like that but maybe a guard over the reverse-pedal might solve the inadvertant stepon.
Anyone else have this issue? Is Kubota the only manufacturer with this arrangement?

Edit: Notice I misspelled Rocker as Rocket. Maybe "Rocket" is appropriate when accidentally stepping on the reverse pedal?

/ Hydrostat Forward/Reverse Rocket Pedal--Not My Favorite Method #2  
Is this pedal like the rocker pedal for BX2200? I find that very natural and easier than a two pedal arrangement. I usually have my foot off to one side of the pedal and if I go forward I just push the pedal with the sole of the foot. I never keep my foot on the pedal. Typically pull foot off pedal to stop. Very natural. If I need to go in reverse I may use heel or toe. Since the joystick is on the right ride of the machine and you need to dodge that, so I rarely get on the machine from the right side. More room on the left and you don't hit any pedals. Just what you get used to....... Curious what the 9200 has ...

/ Hydrostat Forward/Reverse Rocket Pedal--Not My Favorite Method #3  
Interesting. I had the same pedal on my old B8200HSTD(basically same as B9200, with slightly smaller 19hp motor). I really liked it... I have a New Holland now; although I really like the steering brake pedals much better, I miss the treadle-pedal the old Kubota had for the HST...

/ Hydrostat Forward/Reverse Rocket Pedal--Not My Favorite Method
Is this pedal like the rocker pedal for BX2200?
I'm not sure what the BX2200 pedal looks like.

Speaking of brake pedals, is there any way to use them while moving forward or reverse? I could see that possibly happening with the cruise control engaged but what good is that?
Don't get me wrong, I really like the B9200 HSTD but just don't understand the logic behind the hydrostat treadle and wheel brake arrangement. The only time I use the brakes is for locking as a parking brake/safety brake.

/ Hydrostat Forward/Reverse Rocket Pedal--Not My Favorite Method #5  
Some Kioti models have a similar arrangement.

I have used steering brakes with cruise control basically to see if I could as I find no use for steering brakes. My son crosses over with his left foot. Kubota has moved the brakes to the left on many 2013 models. I prefer them on the right, but that is a whole different discussion. I bought a new L5740 this year to avoid the changes on the 2013 models.

/ Hydrostat Forward/Reverse Rocket Pedal--Not My Favorite Method #6  
I loved the rocker treadle pedal on my old L3400HST, but I have gotten totally used to the twin pedal system on my Kioti. Different strokes for different folks I guess:)

James K0UA

/ Hydrostat Forward/Reverse Rocket Pedal--Not My Favorite Method #7  
Speaking of brake pedals, is there any way to use them while moving forward or reverse? I could see that possibly happening with the cruise control engaged but what good is that?
... but just don't understand the logic behind the hydrostat treadle and wheel brake arrangement. The only time I use the brakes is for locking as a parking brake/safety brake.

Never ending debate topic, as you know. I've been using the treadle-type HST on two tractors for more than ten years now and find that the turning brakes are only useful in a very small number of situations for my use. Most of the time it's just easier and quicker without. They are sometimes helpful in mowing open ground, as they help making square-corner turns. Speaking of "rocket pedals", I do find that when you lock up one rear wheel, the other one speeds up, which can sometimes be a bit of an adventure. But I know there are many who spent years on older equipment that are so used to applying turning brakes that the Kubota layout is awkward for them. Maybe the best thing to say about the Kubota layout is that it's more nearly like the way you drive a stick shift car. Go and stop with the right foot, clutch with your left. So moving the brakes to the other side, as several other brands do and as on some new Kubotas, may not be all that great either.

Might mention that my Allis 720 has the hand operated lever on the right side of the dash for forward & reverse hydrostat. Works good, I use the left hand on the loader valves, the right hand on the hydrostat and the third hand on the steering wheel.:)

/ Hydrostat Forward/Reverse Rocket Pedal--Not My Favorite Method #9  
I like the set up on the hydrostat pedal. Like DENISGW said I get in and off on the left. I did try using the right side but like you said I hit the pedal and the loader so the right side is just to awkward for me. But the hydrostat is great not having to shift when maneuvering around. Had my wife on it one day as I was cutting a tree up and she had no problem with it and isn’t afraid of it anymore.

I believe that I'm more apt to step on the reverse end of the treadle when mounting the tractor from the left because I don't see or think about it. Seems like there's plenty of room for entry on either side in spite of the joystick. I might mention that I'm getting older but shouldn't an OLDER dog be able to learn new tricks.