L4740 jumping out of low range

/ L4740 jumping out of low range #1  

droy

Silver Member
Tractor
NH Boomer 55, ZD1211
L4740 cab, hydro, R4s, approaching 50 hrs.
Had some loads of dirty sand hauled in to make a house pad- this formed a levee, and the recent rains helped turn my backyard into a lake. I decided to move some of the fresh dirt, then cut a temporary drain ditch using the fel and bb. As I was doing some heavy pushing, started noticing that range selector moved into neutral when I stopped. Did it several times, only jumping into neutral following a heavy push. I was working in low, shifting to medium range to travel after scraping up a bucket of dirt, er mud. First thoughts were that I was not fully shifting into low, so started taking care that selector was completely in low range,... same problem. Had already moved quite a bit of dirt before the rains with no problem, wondering if any part of the linkage possibly loosened, preventing full engagement.
Any one else ever have this problem?
Thanks in advance.

/ L4740 jumping out of low range #2  
I have never had this problem doing FEL type work. However, I rarely change ranges during a job. Any reason you are not using the H/L hydro 2 speed on the steering column? Philip.

/ L4740 jumping out of low range #3  
I don't think you are getting it all the way in gear.

/ L4740 jumping out of low range
Any reason you are not using the H/L hydro 2 speed on the steering column? Philip.

Good reason for not using the H/L steering column option......Ignorance!
Previous tractor didn't have it and apparently I didn't spend enough time with the operators manual.....I did look at it, honest. This machine is very close to having too many bells & whistles.
Thanks for the reply.

/ L4740 jumping out of low range #5  
The hydro H/L is awesome for FEL work, low for driving into pile, high for transport. I went from a 1950 8N to a 2009 L3940HST+. I was shocked at all the bells and whistles. No replacement for reading your manual, but check this VERY useful video out. Philip.

Kubota HST-Plus Transmission - YouTube!

I don't think you are getting it all the way in gear.

That was my first thought, but as I stated before, moved a lot of dirt before the rain, almost half of the piles, with no problem. Doesn't seem likely I could work one afternoon with no problem, next time I use it I fail to fully engage the low range. that's why I was kinda wanting to suspect some part of the linkage possibly loosened preventing full engagement.
Thanks.

The hydro H/L is awesome for FEL work, low for driving into pile, high for transport. I went from a 1950 8N to a 2009 L3940HST+. I was shocked at all the bells and whistles. No replacement for reading your manual, but check this VERY useful video out. Philip.

Kubota HST-Plus Transmission - YouTube!

Philip, thanks again; that was one VERY informative video! makes me want to push my pad back into small piles so I can start over using all the newly learned gizmos.

/ L4740 jumping out of low range #8  
That was my first thought, but as I stated before, moved a lot of dirt before the rain, almost half of the piles, with no problem. Doesn't seem likely I could work one afternoon with no problem, next time I use it I fail to fully engage the low range. that's why I was kinda wanting to suspect some part of the linkage possibly loosened preventing full engagement.
Thanks.

I think it is possible. The gears are not meshing together and it feels like it is in gear but it will pop out under a load. Be sure when you change range that the shifter is in the center of the "L, M, or H" when you change range. He dual speed hydro is awesome, you will love it. The auto throttle advance is also very nice.