Silver Member
    Tractor
    L4740, GR2120

Default L4740 jumping out of low range

L4740 cab, hydro, R4s, approaching 50 hrs.
    Had some loads of dirty sand hauled in to make a house pad- this formed a levee, and the recent rains helped turn my backyard into a lake. I decided to move some of the fresh dirt, then cut a temporary drain ditch using the fel and bb. As I was doing some heavy pushing, started noticing that range selector moved into neutral when I stopped. Did it several times, only jumping into neutral following a heavy push. I was working in low, shifting to medium range to travel after scraping up a bucket of dirt, er mud. First thoughts were that I was not fully shifting into low, so started taking care that selector was completely in low range,... same problem. Had already moved quite a bit of dirt before the rains with no problem, wondering if any part of the linkage possibly loosened, preventing full engagement.
    Any one else ever have this problem?
    Thanks in advance.
    "Life is tough, but it's a lot harder if you're stupid!".......John Wayne

Tractor
    Kubota L3940 Ford 8N Ford 6000

Default Re: L4740 jumping out of low range

I have never had this problem doing FEL type work. However, I rarely change ranges during a job. Any reason you are not using the H/L hydro 2 speed on the steering column? Philip.
    Kubota L3940HST-1 2009
    84" front blade
    LA724 loader w/quick attach
    HD 72" round back bucket
    turf tires
    Kubota GR2120 2013
    Ford 8N 1950
    Ford 6000 diesel 1961
    JD L110 2003
    Woods RD7200 finish mower, Land Pride RCR1272 rotary cutter, Bearcat CH5540 5" chipper, L8170 ballast box, 6' Woods pulverizer, 6' Dragon box scrapper with hydraulic rippers, 14" 2 bottom plow, sub-soiler, post hole auger, 3 point pallet forks, 30" rear scoop, 7' Land Pride RB1584 rear blade, 3 point boom pole

Tractor
    Kubota BX2360 & L4240 HSTC

I don't think you are getting it all the way in gear.

Silver Member
    Tractor
    L4740, GR2120

Quote Originally Posted by PHILIP8N View Post
    Any reason you are not using the H/L hydro 2 speed on the steering column? Philip.
    Good reason for not using the H/L steering column option......Ignorance!
    Previous tractor didn't have it and apparently I didn't spend enough time with the operators manual.....I did look at it, honest. This machine is very close to having too many bells & whistles.
    Thanks for the reply.

Tractor
    Kubota L3940 Ford 8N Ford 6000

The hydro H/L is awesome for FEL work, low for driving into pile, high for transport. I went from a 1950 8N to a 2009 L3940HST+. I was shocked at all the bells and whistles. No replacement for reading your manual, but check this VERY useful video out. Philip.

kubota HST-Plus Transmission - YouTube!
    Kubota L3940HST-1 2009
    84" front blade
    LA724 loader w/quick attach
    HD 72" round back bucket
    turf tires
    Kubota GR2120 2013
    Ford 8N 1950
    Ford 6000 diesel 1961
    JD L110 2003
    Woods RD7200 finish mower, Land Pride RCR1272 rotary cutter, Bearcat CH5540 5" chipper, L8170 ballast box, 6' Woods pulverizer, 6' Dragon box scrapper with hydraulic rippers, 14" 2 bottom plow, sub-soiler, post hole auger, 3 point pallet forks, 30" rear scoop, 7' Land Pride RB1584 rear blade, 3 point boom pole

Silver Member
    Tractor
    L4740, GR2120

Quote Originally Posted by 94BULLITT View Post
    I don't think you are getting it all the way in gear.
    That was my first thought, but as I stated before, moved a lot of dirt before the rain, almost half of the piles, with no problem. Doesn't seem likely I could work one afternoon with no problem, next time I use it I fail to fully engage the low range. that's why I was kinda wanting to suspect some part of the linkage possibly loosened preventing full engagement.
    Thanks.

Silver Member
    Tractor
    L4740, GR2120

Quote Originally Posted by PHILIP8N View Post
    The hydro H/L is awesome for FEL work, low for driving into pile, high for transport. I went from a 1950 8N to a 2009 L3940HST+. I was shocked at all the bells and whistles. No replacement for reading your manual, but check this VERY useful video out. Philip.

kubota HST-Plus Transmission - YouTube!
    Philip, thanks again; that was one VERY informative video! makes me want to push my pad back into small piles so I can start over using all the newly learned gizmos.

Tractor
    Kubota BX2360 & L4240 HSTC

Quote Originally Posted by droy View Post
    That was my first thought, but as I stated before, moved a lot of dirt before the rain, almost half of the piles, with no problem. Doesn't seem likely I could work one afternoon with no problem, next time I use it I fail to fully engage the low range. that's why I was kinda wanting to suspect some part of the linkage possibly loosened preventing full engagement.
    Thanks.
    I think it is possible. The gears are not meshing together and it feels like it is in gear but it will pop out under a load. Be sure when you change range that the shifter is in the center of the "L, M, or H" when you change range. He dual speed hydro is awesome, you will love it. The auto throttle advance is also very nice.