HOW DO YOU TOW YOUR TRACTOR PART#2

/ HOW DO YOU TOW YOUR TRACTOR PART#2 #1  

PAPPASMURF

Gold Member
Tractor
2011 KUBOTA L3200 W/ LOADER, BH77 BACKHOE
Well, as some of you followed on the original Thread "How do you tow your tractor" you know I've been awaiting the new trailer that the dealer agreed to give me because of the original trailer being under rated (weight capacity) and no brakes. I finally got the new one, and I have posted pictures below. This brings me to part#2 of my trailer concerns. I thought for sure I would get this new one and I could report that my problems were now solved, but the new one has raised yet another concern. First of all, when I picked it up the paint wasnt dry. When I looked at the paint job I thought this guy had let his 5 year old paint it (very sloppy). When I realized the paint job was less than professional, I started looking the trailer over in more detail (my way of thinking was if they dont take the time to paint it right....what else did they do sloppy!). The only thing I found was over-spray on the tire rims, and a very small piece of metal that holds the ramps in place in the upright position that didnt look too strong to me. Figured I'd take her on home, and get it welded correctly myself later. So......I get it home and upon further inspection I found that they had cut the square tubing by the coupler to make room for the jack. Problem was, they didnt weld it and I see it as a weak point in the design, and quite frankly a very poorly built trailer. I have included pictures of the ramp and the pin that holds it up (very small to me) and I included pictures of the underside of the coupler where they made a cut to put the jack in. I am going to get the whole trailer re-welded and inspected by a friend that is an expert welder, however I wanted to see what any of you thought about the main concern which is the coupler. Am I over re-acting? I have always believed that old saying "a chain is only as strong as its weakest link" and this coupler / frame strenght looks like it has been comprimised by this cut. By the way....in case some of you may be wondering I chose not to take it back to the trailer manufacturer because I dont trust his work and I think he would just mess it up even more. I know the paint job on a trailer isnt a huge deal to most, but to me when you paint a trailer as sloppy as he did (paint drips and runs everywhere/overpray on tires and rims) Your not getting anymore of my time. I'd rather get the trailer completed on my own at my expense and know its done right. Still coming out cheaper than I started out!:D newtrailer1.jpgnewtrailer2.jpgtrailertires.jpgramp pin.jpgcoupler1.jpgcoupler2.jpg

Last edited:
   / HOW DO YOU TOW YOUR TRACTOR PART#2
I almost forgot.......I put the "Kubota" logo on the trailer, not the trailer manufacturer! :D

/ HOW DO YOU TOW YOUR TRACTOR PART#2 #3  
It's sad to buy something new and be unhappy with it.
My only comment about the trailer would be: Is there a spare tire? If not, I would add or construct a rack and get one. Seems like everyone around me has gotten a flat on their trailers at one time or another.

AStanton; No spare......I do have plans to get one soon.:smurf:

/ HOW DO YOU TOW YOUR TRACTOR PART#2 #5  
If that coupler is cut, as it looks in your picture, that is not safe:eek:. That one bead/weld looks good, but the main frame of the coupler is compromised. I would be afraid that the coupler would break and you would lose the trailer.
This trailer thing must really be frustrating to you.:pullinghair:

If that coupler is cut, as it looks in your picture, that is not safe:eek:. That one bead/weld looks good, but the main frame of the coupler is compromised. I would be afraid that the coupler would break and you would lose the trailer.
This trailer thing must really be frustrating to you.:pullinghair:

VERY FRUSTRATED. When I saw the frame by the coupler had been cut, I almost lost my mind. I cant believe someone that makes trailers for a living would even consider doing that. I'm not going to put a riding lawn mower on that thing, let alone a tractor until my good friend (the welder) has had time to correct the mistakes made.

/ HOW DO YOU TOW YOUR TRACTOR PART#2 #7  
Papa, can you get your money back and go somewhere else to purchase a trailer manufactured by another company?

Papa, can you get your money back and go somewhere else to purchase a trailer manufactured by another company?

Well....I have this trailer in the "package deal" from the dealer. The dealer had this one made to replace the "wrong" trailer they gave me at the point of sale. Might be able to have them get someone else to make another, but I'm probably pushing my luck unless I want to go to court with them (a lot of time and money) and even though I'm confident I would ultimately win.....I think that getting this one corrected by my good friend in the welding business is the best course of action, and it would be a great trailer, and less hassle once its done.

/ HOW DO YOU TOW YOUR TRACTOR PART#2 #9  
I see where the ends of the frame rails were cut to allow the landing gear (jack) to be installed. Probably a typical installation for most light duty type trailers, but whenever I have needed to use that type of coupler, and cut the frame ends to allow it to fit, I generally add a piece of plate to the bottom of the V with a hole in it for the tube of the jack to go thru and make sure it goes quite a bit further than the coupler does. This strengthens the tongue plus by putting a hole in the bottom plate for the jackstand to go thru, it gives it a better chance of not folding under the first time you put some side pressure on it (like bumping the coupler with the ball on your truck because your balls was a half inch higher than the coupler)

David from jax

/ HOW DO YOU TOW YOUR TRACTOR PART#2 #10  
I would definitely go back to your dealer, not to make any changes to your deal, but to let the dealer know what shoddy work his vendor does for him. The dealer needs to find a better trailer company.