Default Glow plug question

A quick question. Do all Kubotas have glow plugs and how do you use them? A neighbor just called and cant start her kubota ,a B2600 I believe. It -20F so that is not surprising. She has now plugged in the block heater DUH! and will try again in an hour but using the glow plugs if equipped would be a help.

Bronze Member
    Tractor
    Bobcat 773

Default Re: Glow plug question

I have never seen a diesel without glow plugs. On some tractors (my older Bobcat) you turn the key in the reverse direction that you would to start it and hold it there for about 10 seconds to burn the glow plugs. On some diesels there is a separate button or switch, on two of mine it is automatic - the plugs come on if the temperature sensor detects a need prior to starting.

Glow plugs wear out over time - not hard to replace on the kubotas I have worked on.

Quote Originally Posted by gwiley View Post
    I have never seen a diesel without glow plugs. On some tractors (my older Bobcat) you turn the key in the reverse direction that you would to start it and hold it there for about 10 seconds to burn the glow plugs. On some diesels there is a separate button or switch, on two of mine it is automatic - the plugs come on if the temperature sensor detects a need prior to starting.

Glow plugs wear out over time - not hard to replace on the kubotas I have worked on.
    My new John Deere has a intake air preheater instead of glow plugs. Just hold the key pressed infor a thirty count then turn it over. works great and the block heater I had added on is probably un nessacary. I'm just not a kubota owner so don't know the exact switch setup or cold start proceedure for them and I thought asking here would be a lot quicker then having her find her owners manual to look it up.

Bronze Member
    Tractor
    Kubota B7510

On B7510 kubota, hold key switch half way between 'run' and 'start' and the glow plugs are energized. Lamp on dash shows them on. Hold for five or six seconds then turn key to 'start'.
    D.

Tractor
    JD 4255/Kubota M7040 HDC

Quote Originally Posted by gwiley View Post
    I have never seen a diesel without glow plugs.

My 1991 JD 4255 & 1980 Ford 6700 tractors don't have glowplugs or intake heater. Lots of diesel engines start without glowplugs.

Quote Originally Posted by DonnieP View Post
    On B7510 kubota, hold key switch half way between 'run' and 'start' and the glow plugs are energized. Lamp on dash shows them on. Hold for five or six seconds then turn key to 'start'.
    D.
    Thank you.