Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3456789 LastLast
    Tractor
    Massey Ferguson GC2400

Default Re: Frozen, Gelled fuel

Quote Originally Posted by creekbend View Post
    I use it year round. The temperatures have been below 20 degrees several times. Even when I don't use the tractor, I start it once a week. I haven't had any problems. "Knock on Wood".
    Lordy..........if I saw 20, I would probably go swimming 8 here.
    Don

MF GC2400, FEL, 60in.MMM, 5ft. Cultivator, Single Bottom Plow, Bush Hog RTC48 tiller, MF 2360 front mount snowblower, 5ft backblade. BXpanded Piranha toothbar.

Tractor
    Massey Ferguson GC2400

Quote Originally Posted by rockshaft View Post
    At that point i realized the triple dose of powerservice wasn't working for me :-(
    I saw at least 1 other post where someone said the power service let them down. So for, the only problem I had was when I didn't add enough(had a freak cold snap come in while I was out trucking), and now I add extra.
    Don

MF GC2400, FEL, 60in.MMM, 5ft. Cultivator, Single Bottom Plow, Bush Hog RTC48 tiller, MF 2360 front mount snowblower, 5ft backblade. BXpanded Piranha toothbar.

Tractor
    BX 25, ZD 326

Maybe that was my post?

I cant say 100% that I treated the fuel that gelled with PS. Im probably 75% sure it was treated. That and it should have been "winter" grade when pumped at the station...

Current fuel is PS treated, 100% sure of that.

Honestly right now, i think its my new Racor that's keeping the tractor running and not the PS. There was 1/4" of ice/gell in the bottom of the filter ! And again this is PS "treated" fuel !! After this 5gal can is finished, im going to be going to another additive brand.

Tractor
    B3200, L5740,

The characteristics of biodiesel are different than the old diesel we are all use to. That being the case a lot of the conditioners we used to winterize diesel don't work on the new biodiesel. Best to shop for conditioner meant for bio-crap fuel or try and find a fuel supplier that does not blend in the winter.
    L5740 LA854 loader
    L3130 LA723 loader sold
    B3200 LA504 loader
    B1550 sold
    B2620 sold
    B4200 sold
    F2680E
    GF1800
    Kubota RTV900
    JD 850D Gator sold
    JD F935 x 2 sold
    Case 590SM-2
    JD 310D TLB sold
    Ford 555D sold
    Gehl 602 excavator sol

Tractor
    Massey Ferguson GC2400

Quote Originally Posted by kuboman View Post
    The characteristics of biodiesel are different than the old diesel we are all use to. That being the case a lot of the conditioners we used to winterize diesel don't work on the new biodiesel. Best to shop for conditioner meant for bio-crap fuel or try and find a fuel supplier that does not blend in the winter.
    I remember reading a news story several years back about a school district that decided to switch to biodiesel, until the day the entire fleet gelled up. The temps weren't all that cold(IIRC), but as you stated, Biodiesel is different.
    Don

Tractor
    Deere 655ZTrak, Deere 4720 Cab, 400 X

For what its worth, "anti gel" additives work by changing the structure of the fuel so as the cloud point gets close (point at which wax starts to form) the molecular structure of the fuel changes-you still have wax, but it looks like small BB's instead of sharp forms that lock up. If the fuel HAS already hit the cloud point, the damage is done.

Tractor
    kubota B2400

Ok, new here but not to new to tractors, how can I tell if the fuel in my b2400 has jelled or not. We are in central ky and had a cold snap the other day it got down to 9. Should I worry or just wait for it to worm up

If your diesel fuel has gelled up then using PS in the white bottle will do no good. They make a red bottle called 911. You pour it into the tank as well as remove the filter and pour it into it.
    Kubota L4240,Case 580K backhoe, Case 450 Dozer

Tractor
    Kubota/B3200

If the bottom of the raycor had ice in it, you have 2 problems. The fuel gelling is one, which should well respond to winter antigell/ diesel fuel "heat" provided the gel hasn't clogged the diesel fuel high pressure pump. The Raycor filter bottom which has a thumb wheel drain tap is for the purpose of a fuel / water separator. Ice in the bottom suggests water in your fuel. That bottom is specifically to allow water in the fuel to separate out and should be occasionally drained off! Unfortunately, depending on the mounting location of the raycor, it will either have a tan aluminum bottom cup, or a clear plastic bottom cup. The clear plastic lets you see if water is separating out, but is not for mounting in a closed potentially very hot engine compartment! With the tan aluminum cup you should simply periodically drain into a sight glass to check for water. If its significantly below freezing however, ice freezes in the lowest place (the drain tap), and it won't drain from the separator drain wether you have the aluminum or plastic bowl!!!

Tractor
    BX 25, ZD 326

Temp got up well above freezing and the ice liquified. I drained it into a mason jar, which I still have. Ill grab a pic.

I know there has to be a bunch of water in the tank somehow (im pretty careful with my fuel). Im going to dump what's left and start with some fresh. I also got a Racor "Mr. Funnel" to run my new fuel through because I got it at the same place as the current tank that has given problems.

Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3456789 LastLast