Frozen, Gelled fuel

/ Frozen, Gelled fuel #81  
I test my Mr Funnel per the instructions by putting some water in funnel to confirm nothing comes through. That pretty much convinced me when I first bought it that it works. I've used it for years and have never had a fuel problem and I don't treat my fuel, which is bio. Note that the instructions also say that treated fuel can cause water to pass through the filter, so put any additives in the tank, not in the can.

/ Frozen, Gelled fuel #82  
I don't understand how so many folks get water into their tanks on tractors and other equipment unless they are buying dirty fuel to begin with.

One day here not too long back is a good example Gary. Temperature swung 30C in about 24 hours. Unless you live in the middle of a large desert, that kind of delta T is going to create a condensation problem in vehicle tanks. Running near empty fuel tanks up here is a really bad idea, esp. this time of year.

Down South, normal vehicle movement may slosh low lying water around enough, that sufficient fuel gets through to keep running - at least at low to moderate engine loads. Freeze that water, and you get lots of people checking TBN for help !

Moral of the story - check your fuel filter often (meaning folks in general; it sounds like you already have that covered Gary), even if you don't live in the Frozen North.

Rgds, D.

/ Frozen, Gelled fuel #83  
Plan to pick up some 911 when I get back into town but that won't be until the weekend since it is a 40 mile drive. From what I have read you make a 50/50 mix of 911 and diesel fuel and put that in your fuel filter and put the filter back in. Do you also put some in the tank? I have about 3/4 of a tank of fuel now. Unfortunately I am about 40 mountain miles from any interstates or truck stops. All I have is local stations. Guess I will take a couple of five gallon cans with me and bring back some of that good diesel. Thanks for the advice.

/ Frozen, Gelled fuel #84  
I test my Mr Funnel per the instructions by putting some water in funnel to confirm nothing comes through. That pretty much convinced me when I first bought it that it works. I've used it for years and have never had a fuel problem and I don't treat my fuel, which is bio. Note that the instructions also say that treated fuel can cause water to pass through the filter, so put any additives in the tank, not in the can.

Beez - good point about treating after funneling.

Mr. Funnel has effectively a sump in the bottom of it. You have to plan to deal with the sump liquids and materials. Best approach is to "dump the sump" into a second secure container - recover the useable fuel, after a number of dumps accumulate.

As consumer products go, it may appear over-engineered, but it works.

Rgds, D.

/ Frozen, Gelled fuel #85  
Just started my JD 6200 parked in an unheated building after a morning of minus thirty something C. Didn't have it plugged in quite long enough. Maybe an hour. I didn't glow it (usually don't when it's been plugged in) and it didn't start. Glowed it, and what was left of the battery managed to get it going. GREAT.

So I used it a while without any trouble what so ever. I really expected to have cold fuel issues, as the fuel tank is under the operators station, but I had topped up the tank, and added Lucas Extreme Cold. I know, that stuff is too expensive, and that it won't get you out of a problem like 911 or Seafoam, but I am pretty sure, it is what made the difference between me having trouble and not, in this extreme cold! And I must say for that I am very gratefull!

/ Frozen, Gelled fuel #86  
I've had two instances where my BX2660 freezing up. It would idle, but not run open. I dumped 1/3 of a bottle of 911 in the tank and let it idle. It took 45 minutes of running to dissolve the gel in the fuel filter. I am convinced it is due to the plastic fuel filters. I never had issues with my B-Series with the bowl-style filter. I think it's the paper insert. Even filling my tractor fuel tank, the fuel would gel up on the screen insert in my funnel. Treated with Power Service.

/ Frozen, Gelled fuel #87  
Got a whole lot smarter today regarding the Kubota 1100. Draining the tank is not going to help much since there will remain about a cup or two of liquid at the bottom because the outlet is above the bottom of the tank. All the water will be at the bottom and any below the outlet will still be there when you fill the tank again. This was all clear to me today as I looked down into my tank and saw an ice layer at the bottom. The only thing to do is to pump the bottom of the tank. You don't have to empty it just pull the water off the bottom. Get a small electric pump or a hand one and placing a hose down into the tank so it is at the bottom and pump out this bottom layer. You are likely to get water and debris. You have to of course get the machine in-doors to melt the water at the bottom of the fuel tank. Have a Mr. Funnel on the way and plan to install a Racor separator and most of all, plan to look down into my tank periodically. Bought some water indictor paste to help with checking for water.

/ Frozen, Gelled fuel #88  
Never heard of water indicator paste, googled it and it looks like a good idea. Post something once you try it.

/ Frozen, Gelled fuel #89  
When I ran my BX-25 in the winter, I used Power Service to treat the diesel. And I never had an issue.

Attachments

• Kubota BX25 Bucket in Snow.jpg
    Kubota BX25 Bucket in Snow.jpg
    82.1 KB · Views: 74
   / Frozen, Gelled fuel #90  
I have run all types of diesel equipment in the north and most of the problems in cold weather were caused by filling the tanks with 5 gal cans. It seems that water always finds a way to beat you even when you treat it. I agree that water remains in the tanks of most tractors and starts to slosh around and make its way to the fuel filter . I no longer have sub zero temperatures to deal with but still treat the fuel and drain the fuel filter once a week. Always keep a spare fuel filter on hand.