Frozen, Gelled fuel

/ Frozen, Gelled fuel #1  

Firefighter Kubota

Platinum Member
Tractor
Kubota 7510
Well for the first time in 7 years of owning my tractor. My fuel gelled up on me...Mostly in the filter that I could see..

Its actually mid 20's right now but we've had a cold snap with single digits at night...

I know its been colder in the past... Maybe some crappy fuel... I have on occasion used an additive in the past, but it's been so mild I forgot this year...

Luckily I had a new still sealed de gel bottle from last year. Added it, topped the tank off, and after about 2 minutes of cranking running anfd dieing she cleared out...

Of course I had a bucket load of firewood and none in the basement, when she died...So getting her running was a priority..

Leason learned...

/ Frozen, Gelled fuel #2  
What brand did you buy? I've been buying from Irving, I just figure they know how to refine winter diesel up in Canada.

/ Frozen, Gelled fuel
It's random, but usually I end up at Irving or Hess...

Also, just cause its Irving doesn't mean its being trucked drown from Canada. I know they fill in Portsmouth and distribute from there

/ Frozen, Gelled fuel #4  
I had the fuel gel up on my 5203 Deere two days ago, it was down in the single digits though. Started it and it ran for a couple minutes, sputtered and died. Tried adding some de-icer/anti-gel additive but it didn't do anything, I think it is plugged up in the petcock at the bottom of the tank as no fuel is reaching the filter. It's supposed to be warmer tomorrow so I'll see if it will start then.

After that incident I went and got some Power Service fuel additive which prevents gelling and added it to my B3200 along with a full tank of fresh fuel. Started yesterday in single digit temps and ran fine.

Honestly, in the very cold I mostly use my old Ford NAA. Starts right up regardless of the temp and warms up quickly, cold weather operation is one thing I still do like about a gas powered tractor.

Anyone else using Power Service diesel additive?

/ Frozen, Gelled fuel #5  
I use Howse. Been recommended by a mechanic (does work on semis) and dealer

/ Frozen, Gelled fuel #6  
Firefighter Kubota said:
It's random, but usually I end up at Irving or Hess...

Also, just cause its Irving doesn't mean its being trucked drown from Canada. I know they fill in Portsmouth and distribute from there

It's shipped from Canada, offloaded at shore into terminal tanks, then trucked from terminals to stations. It's refined in Irving refinery, in Canada.

/ Frozen, Gelled fuel #7  
I gelled up last winter,tractor and chipper. And that was with power service,trucks were ok but they have fuel heaters. I talked to the supplier and he said he spent the morning changing fuel filters on their trucks. I talked to a friend that works for another fuel supplier and they were not having any problems. Switched to them, switched to Howes and haven't had any more problems. Two years ago the tractor gelled up with power service, I added 911 red power service and was able to run that day but the filter never did unwax.

/ Frozen, Gelled fuel #8  
Well for the first time in 7 years of owning my tractor. My fuel gelled up on me...Mostly in the filter that I could see..

Its actually mid 20's right now but we've had a cold snap with single digits at night...

I know its been colder in the past... Maybe some crappy fuel... I have on occasion used an additive in the past, but it's been so mild I forgot this year...

Luckily I had a new still sealed de gel bottle from last year. Added it, topped the tank off, and after about 2 minutes of cranking running anfd dieing she cleared out...

Of course I had a bucket load of firewood and none in the basement, when she died...So getting her running was a priority..

Leason learned...

I learned that lesson in 2004 during my first full winter owning my previous BX2200. It hit -7 and it took me 3 days to get the tractor running. (Partly because I had no clue what I was doing and partly because of the untimely passing of my younger brother). I added a block heater shortly there after and I have never failed to use a fuel additive since that day. There are some that would say I am wasting my money on fuel additives but its a small price to pay for peace of mind in my opinion.

Sent from my iPad using TractorByNet

/ Frozen, Gelled fuel
It's shipped from Canada, offloaded at shore into terminal tanks, then trucked from terminals to stations. It's refined in Irving refinery, in Canada.

They must be using a 3rd party carrier...I also know other trucks are hauling " irving stuff" out of the terminal.. so I'm skeptical thats its all Irving...

/ Frozen, Gelled fuel
I learned that lesson in 2004 during my first full winter owning my previous BX2200. It hit -7 and it took me 3 days to get the tractor running. (Partly because I had no clue what I was doing and partly because of the untimely passing of my younger brother). I added a block heater shortly there after and I have never failed to use a fuel additive since that day. There are some that would say I am wasting my money on fuel additives but its a small price to pay for peace of mind in my opinion.

Sent from my iPad using TractorByNet

I have a block heater too, but that wont help the filter.... point of most common gelling