Linear actuator in place of hydraulic ram?

/ Linear actuator in place of hydraulic ram? #1  

dsmiley

Gold Member
Tractor
Kubota BX25
I'm curious to know if anyone has used a linear actuator in the place of a hydraulic ram for a top link or bucket grapple. It seems to me that it would be easier than adding the hydraulics. Since you can get a 1000 lb. rated actuator, I wouldn't think lack of force an issue. I was thinking about trying one as a top link on my BX. Do you think this is worth pursuing? Thanks.

/ Linear actuator in place of hydraulic ram? #2  
Linear actuators are relatively slow and can't take shock loads very well. Aside from that, a 2' cylinder would have 10,000 lbs force at 3000 psi, so the force difference is considerable.

paul

/ Linear actuator in place of hydraulic ram? #3  
For an inexpensive , easy light use option, not a bad idea. Beats the **** out of adjusting the turnbuckle for your top link... Probably a bit weak for a grapple...

That being said I installed hydros on both...

Picture 026.jpgPicture 037.jpg

/ Linear actuator in place of hydraulic ram?
Linear actuators are relatively slow and can't take shock loads very well. Aside from that, a 2' cylinder would have 10,000 lbs force at 3000 psi, so the force difference is considerable.
paul

What you say is true but since the total lift on my BX 3PH is something like 670 lb. I would think a 1000 lb. actuator would have no trouble with that since all it's doing is leveling while the lift arms are supporting the majority of the weight. I was actually thinking maybe a 500 lb or less actuator would work. And I would want the movement to be slow. Does that not make since?

/ Linear actuator in place of hydraulic ram? #5  
....... all it's doing is leveling while the lift arms are supporting the majority of the weight................
I think an electric top link is an ok idea - provided it's well made & rugged.
In some situations, like handling crop bins, you wouldn't want a cheap top link that might break - dumping 15 bushels of fresh-picked apples (ask me how I know).

/ Linear actuator in place of hydraulic ram?
I think an electric top link is an ok idea - provided it's well made & rugged.
In some situations, like handling crop bins, you wouldn't want a cheap top link that might break - dumping 15 bushels of fresh-picked apples (ask me how I know).

I'm thinking those apples got picked twice. I want to store my firewood on pallets on a hill behind my house and bring the pallets over as I need them. It would be handy to be able to level my 3-pt forks when picking up the pallets and also when coming down the hill. I just think it might work great without the hassle of a turn buckle or installing the necessary hydraulics.

/ Linear actuator in place of hydraulic ram? #7  
What you say is true but since the total lift on my BX 3PH is something like 670 lb. I would think a 1000 lb. actuator would have no trouble with that since all it's doing is leveling while the lift arms are supporting the majority of the weight. I was actually thinking maybe a 500 lb or less actuator would work. And I would want the movement to be slow. Does that not make since?

There's no good reason to buy a 500lb actuator when a 1000lb unit is available. You need to consider the actuator's ability to resist simply failing and pulling apart from the extension loading exerted by the pallet. Your assumption that the lift links are carrying the load is incorrect. Prove this by attempting to lift the rear of a full pallet enough to slack your existing top link.

/ Linear actuator in place of hydraulic ram? #8  
I have a linear actuator for my blower chute deflector 110lbs...

You also need to look at the "static" holding force of the actuator. It can be many times less than push/pull rating

/ Linear actuator in place of hydraulic ram? #9  
Not to sound like a smart a**, but if it was that easy and cheap everybody would have them vs. hydraulic ones, and there would be 10 companies advertising here to sell them one.

/ Linear actuator in place of hydraulic ram? #10  
Not to sound like a smart a**, but if it was that easy and cheap everybody would have them vs. hydraulic ones, and there would be 10 companies advertising here to sell them one.

You do make a good point, Kenny.