Tractor attempting to shut down in the cold

/ Tractor attempting to shut down in the cold #1  

ror105

Silver Member
Tractor
2011 Kubota 2320 HSD
On Friday we got a few more inches of the white stuff and it was colder out than I have ever operated the machine, say around 10F. Used the glow plugs to get it started, it stumbled a bit but caught on the second try. I probably only let it warm up for 5 minutes or so, but when I went to pull out of the garage in Mid range it started to shut off like I wasn't in the seat or something. So I gave it another minute and went to Low and started plowing.I went on to finish the driveway and 10 minutes later it did if again out by my sometimes busy road. Now it has my attention because in occasion I turn around on that road.

I don't think the fuel was gelled and all of the safeties were where they belong, PTO not engaged, in the seat, etc. It didn't do it again after the stumble at the end of my lane but i don't need it to do it again. And since it was intermittent I doubt I can make it repeat the event.

Any ideas out there? Would it be possible for the seat switch to do something funny in the cold? I am around 200 pounds....it knows I was there in the saddle.

/ Tractor attempting to shut down in the cold #2  
Sounds like a bit of water or fuel gel went thru the fuel system. I let mine warm up at least 10-15 minutes before plowing or blowing and have not had any problems.

/ Tractor attempting to shut down in the cold #3  
Sounds like a bit of water or fuel gel went thru the fuel system. I let mine warm up at least 10-15 minutes before plowing or blowing and have not had any problems.
I agree that it sounds like your fuel may have been gelling some. Be sure to use the correct amount of additive for the temperatures you are experiencing, some of the additives require more after you drop below a certain temperature. I treat my fuel for my most extreme temperatures( which can be as much as 30 below).

/ Tractor attempting to shut down in the cold #4  
My NH OM says to use kero when temps are <20^F to 'protect' the pump (no gelling?) so I start topping up with it every fall to be ready for 'whatever'. At <25hp the higher gal/hr burn never concerned me enough to pay attention & 5 gal does my 550' drive thru' most winters. I would not expect it to prevent/reduce icing if condensation becomes a prob. I've used the basic (on-label, Lucas) additive ratios for either fuel with never a hitch in over a decade.

I'm not recommending the practice, just throwing it out there to see if it bounces ....

/ Tractor attempting to shut down in the cold
Well today it is warmer and I had it out for a while with no issues. Don't have any treatment in it, figured it is winter blend and should be okay down to 10 or so. I will have to throw some Power Service in or my dad uses 911 I think.

Thanks for the diagnosis.

/ Tractor attempting to shut down in the cold #6  
Well today it is warmer and I had it out for a while with no issues. Don't have any treatment in it, figured it is winter blend and should be okay down to 10 or so. I will have to throw some Power Service in or my dad uses 911 I think.

Thanks for the diagnosis.
That's what I thought when I purchased fuel at the local station here. After all, the same fuel was going into his concrete trucks. Then my GC2400 gelled up big time. I purchase my fuel elsewhere now, and put my own Power Service in so I know it's there. No problems at all since I started doing this.