Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Tractor
    Long 2510

Default Re: Clunking noise at idlle M7040

Well got back and didn't get to operate my tractor until yesterday. Anyway had a lot of brush hoging to do at some new land I purchased and operated the tractor about 4 hours. In the past it would mostly hear the clunking noise, acutually a muffled none mechanical noise hard to describe, after the engine was well warmed up and at low idle. For what ever reason the tractor did not make the noise at all yesterday. I guess I'm happy it didn't but if there is an issue I would like to deal with it while its under warranty. Otherwise the tractor has performed perfectly with no issues. More on the noise, when I've heard it in the past I kinda thought it make something to do with the turbo charger, something to do with the waste gate? I'm no mechanic but the sound was not what I would call mechanical, so actually I'm at a total loose at what is or was.

Platinum Member
    Tractor
    kubota 7040sud

do have any freinds that know anything bout turbos i dont know bout them my 7040sud doesnt have one

Tractor
    Long 2510

Just thought I would follow up on this issue. I think I have figured out what was making the muffled clunking noise. After reading other post on this issue there was some discussion about it being hydrolic in nature. I have a FEL on my tractor and recently I had noticed when I was bringing the loader fork in the up position it was a little stiff, causing me to sometimes possible not openning the valve as much as it should have been open, and possible not letting it close all the way when released. After flexing the FEL lever in all directions and making sure the lever was back and center, the noise went away. As I said earlier the noise was somewhat intermitent and now that I pay attention and make sure the FEL lever is centered I have not had any issues. So not sure this is for sure fixed yet but am reasonable assured it is a hydrolic issue. Also flexing the FEL lever fully in the direction (left) several times it seems to work more freely and the hydrolics faster. Hopefully if someone else has this issue this might help.

Tractor
    all makes and models

Sounds like some lubrication is needed!

Tractor
    Kubota L3400DT

Quote Originally Posted by Caddo View Post
    Just thought I would follow up on this issue. I think I have figured out what was making the muffled clunking noise. After reading other post on this issue there was some discussion about it being hydrolic in nature. I have a FEL on my tractor and recently I had noticed when I was bringing the loader fork in the up position it was a little stiff, causing me to sometimes possible not openning the valve as much as it should have been open, and possible not letting it close all the way when released. After flexing the FEL lever in all directions and making sure the lever was back and center, the noise went away. As I said earlier the noise was somewhat intermitent and now that I pay attention and make sure the FEL lever is centered I have not had any issues. So not sure this is for sure fixed yet but am reasonable assured it is a hydrolic issue. Also flexing the FEL lever fully in the direction (left) several times it seems to work more freely and the hydrolics faster. Hopefully if someone else has this issue this might help.
    There are two operating modes on the dump circuit for the bucket, at least on my loader. When you move the joystick partway to the left the flow exiting from one side of the curl cylinders is added to the flow entering the other end of the cylinder (regenerative action) to enable a faster dump time but less force. When you move the joystick fully left you get "normal" flow through the valve for slower dump time but more force.

You should be able to feel a soft stop or detent halfway through the leftward motion of the stick if you have the regenerative function, which I think they all do.

Sean

Tractor
    Long 2510

Heres an update to my update I made earlier, for those who may have same issue. Well the problem does appear to be hydrolic related. I thought I had it figured out and associated it the FEL hydrolic handle position. Well not so sure about that. Anyway the noise is still there and intermitant. I called my kubota dealer and was going to take the tractor up there and discribed the noise to a tech on the phone. Much to my surprise he said no need to do that, they just had two Kubota reps from california leave and they were there investiagating the same issue on another M7040. He said this is a known issue with some M6040's also. He also said there is nothing to be worried about, but they were looking into a fix so it would stop making the noise, but they have not figured out exactly where its coming from yet, but it is hydrolic in nature. Not exactly what I was wanting to hear, but apparently it is a known issue. Not sure what to do next, I haven't taken it to the shop yet but apparently it would be a waste of time. Any one else have any ideas, or have a better answer?

Tractor
    JD 4255/Kubota M7040 HDC

My 2011 M7040 with hyd reverser makes the clunking noise at idle also.

Tractor
    Kubota M7040

I have a new 2012 M7040 w/ FEL and hydraulic shuttle, and it makes the clunking noise at idle. Seems to happen more frequently (and louder) when the tractor is warmed up. Is that the case with you other guys that have it? I guess there is some cold comfort knowing that other folks have it, but it seems bizarre and troubling that kubota can't figure out what it is. Is there a way to do a poll on TBN to find out how many 7040s have this issue? It's definitely an unusual noise.

Tractor
    Long 2510

Yes, definitly more pronounced when warmed up good. But for some reason occasionally it does not occure at all. I think a poll would be a good idea. Better to document just in case it becomes a issue. I have heard from more than one source it is not a concern though, but I would like to see a fix for this issue.

Tractor
    Kubota L3010DT, Dresser TD7G Dozer

Quote Originally Posted by Caddo View Post
    Heres an update to my update I made earlier, for those who may have same issue. Well the problem does appear to be hydrolic related. I thought I had it figured out and associated it the FEL hydrolic handle position. Well not so sure about that. Anyway the noise is still there and intermitant. I called my kubota dealer and was going to take the tractor up there and discribed the noise to a tech on the phone. Much to my surprise he said no need to do that, they just had two Kubota reps from california leave and they were there investiagating the same issue on another M7040. He said this is a known issue with some M6040's also. He also said there is nothing to be worried about, but they were looking into a fix so it would stop making the noise, but they have not figured out exactly where its coming from yet, but it is hydrolic in nature. Not exactly what I was wanting to hear, but apparently it is a known issue. Not sure what to do next, I haven't taken it to the shop yet but apparently it would be a waste of time. Any one else have any ideas, or have a better answer?
    If they don't know what it is how can they say it isn't a problem. That would bother me a little. But they are looking into it - That is a good thing.
    "If you're not making any mistakes then you're not doing anything"

L3010DT, Farmi JL290 Winch, ATI Grapple, BearCat 5" Chipper, 6' Rear Blade,
    7' Sickle Bar, 5' Land Plane Grading Scraper, Dresser TD7G Dozer

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast