HOW DO YOU TOW YOUR TRACTOR 3

/ HOW DO YOU TOW YOUR TRACTOR 3 #41  
You know Pappasmurf, I am not really all the surprised. People love to push the limits of the law, as most of us has one point or another. But greed is an evil temptation that many give into.

To me, it isn't the law that they are breaking that bothers me but it is the lack of morality that some have and the fact they don't care if someone gets hurt. I know from personal experience, no one around these parts even cares too much unless someone is in an accident and someone is injured. Then all heck breaks loose and the victims come out of the woodwork and then stupid laws are created that don't even solve the issue in the first place.

I miss the days when people took pride in something and would speak up and say, "I built that, isn't it a beauty?", or something along those lines.

Good luck. I am curious to see what you find out, but I figure it is going to have to end in some tragedy before something is done.

/ HOW DO YOU TOW YOUR TRACTOR 3
:smurf:I couldnt have said it better megaboz! I absolutely hate that everything now-a-days is about the money, not morals. I figure I'm going to get a long drug-out explaination that makes no sense as to who is responsible for governing the trailer industry. Just like immigration Laws, I anticipate the buck will be passed over and over again. The funny thing is....I'm one of those that doesnt stop until all the feathers are ruffled from here to DC. I'm not saying I will be successful, but I am saying it wont be because of lack of trying! Boxing gloves are off...its time for a little hand to hand! lol :punch:

/ HOW DO YOU TOW YOUR TRACTOR 3 #43  
Please keep us informed of your findings (even if it is years down the road as it may very well be). I personally have a 15' Cronkhite trailer (looks like the 2000 series) for hauling my B26 TLB(4000 lbs). Actually, I'm pretty sure it is a Cronkhite. The tag is missing off of mine. I did however find a used Cronkhite for sale at a local equipment dealer and I pulled mine up beside it and they looked identical, down to what warning stickers mine has left. What I found interesting after looking at the tag was even though they have 5,200 pound axles, the GVWR was listed at 12,480 lbs. 5,200 x 2 axles plus 20% tongue weight gives you 12,480 lbs! I certainly don't agree with this method of computing but it allows them to advertise it as a 6 ton trailer and someone would never be the wiser when shopping and could be in for a rude awakening if they didn't do their homework. They are a National Association of Trailer Manufacturers (NATM) member have have been around since 1970 so it's not a fly-by-night shop. Before I bought this unit, I did come across a trailer that had 6,000 lb axles and only a 2" coupler rated for 7,000 lbs and that dealer was selling it as a 12,000 lb trailer! I'm not sure why you would even build something like that.

Yes ......the ratings can be very deceiving. Just because you have axles rated at 5200 each, doesnt mean the trailer can be rated for that load. The old saying "A chain is only as strong as its weakest link" stands true. Buyers need to look for the lowest weight rating on the trailer (like a 7000lb coupler) and THAT is the maximum Gross vehicle weight of the trailer even if it has 7000lb duel axles. A stop should be put to these practices in the manufacturing ! :smiley_aafz:

/ HOW DO YOU TOW YOUR TRACTOR 3 #45  
UPDATE: For those of you that have been following this thread, I have some interesting news after a long day of investigation. I have contacted and met with a Judge and spoke with the Alabama Dept. of Public Safety (state troopers headquarters) . The brass at the dept. of public safety looked over the Alabama rules regarding the 3000# limit on trailers. This section of Alabama Law covers brakes and towing limits in this state. To my suprise, The troopers informed me (and remember I'm in the same line of work) that they dont have a code to write for violations on the Alabama rules I'm referring to. They basically said the "rules" are nothing more than the state of Alabama "agreeing" with Federal DOT laws, and unless you run into a federal inspector, they dont govern or enforce this law. I then spoke with a Judge who basically agreed. My next stop was speaking with our congressman at Federal court to see who enforces these laws, and why local police or state police have no code to write a citation under in this state. The congressman's office put me on a direct line with Washington DC and I spoke with the Federal representitive of the Dot. He has received my questions in writing and is currently investigating who and how these laws are intended to be enforced. When I hear back from him I will be posting the findings. As it stands right now, NO ONE keeps track of utility trailer laws unless it is in a commercial use capacity, and even then if the weight is under 26,000 pounds, not much attention is given. As a Police Officer, this is very sad and frustrating to say the least! I now know why dealers and manufacturers gamble with these practices. That being said....we DO have codes in the law to write tickets for no tag, improper or no lights, brake lights, and unsafe loads for utility trailers. No Codes exist in this state for chains, brakes, couplers, placards, or break away switches not to mention breaking tow capacities on utility trailers that we all know are abused daily! I'm finding out the sad truth to why trailers have little attention in almost all 50 states. My research has also enlightened me to how dangerous and how many people lose their lives because of irresponsible trailer useage! SMH! I will keep you posted on the results of my tiring investigation into this matter. One last note: my dealer informed me today that they have their attorney looking into what they are responsible for where these trailers are concerned, and allegedly they have been told by their attorney that they ARE NOT responsible for how the buyer tows the tractor even if they sell the trailer as a package deal. I Know I know.....seems the attorney hasnt thought that comment through because I fully disagree with that....if he even really said that to them. I can see where this is headed!:smurf:

That is some scary info. Do you have a state inspection in your state.

That is some scary info. Do you have a state inspection in your state.

No State inspection. Its pretty much a free-for-all in Alabama! I have wished for years that Alabama would start inspecting vehicles, but they haven't yet. :steeringwheel:

/ HOW DO YOU TOW YOUR TRACTOR 3 #47  
No State inspection. Its pretty much a free-for-all in Alabama! I have wished for years that Alabama would start inspecting vehicles, but they haven't yet. :steeringwheel:

I wish VA would get rid of the yearly state inspection. I thought about writing the governor or starting a petition but never did.

/ HOW DO YOU TOW YOUR TRACTOR 3 #48  
I wish VA would get rid of the yearly state inspection. I thought about writing the governor or starting a petition but never did.

I keeps a lot of junk off the road, a good thing in my opinion. As long as they don't start emissions testing too.

/ HOW DO YOU TOW YOUR TRACTOR 3 #49  
I keeps a lot of junk off the road, a good thing in my opinion. As long as they don't start emissions testing too.

Not really. There are so many service stations that just approve what ever comes in.

/ HOW DO YOU TOW YOUR TRACTOR 3 #50  
I think the real problem here is people need to take responsibilty for their own actions. Let's not think government and more laws will fix everything. I firmly believe in buyer beware. This is true in almost everything. Do the research up front and ask all the questions of people in the know. Then buy the proper equipment (or house or etc) up front. There have been unscrupulous people and manufacturers since the beginning of time. Quite honestly I very rarely ever see an accident on the road that has a trailer attached, other than tractor trailers and I drive over 50,000 miles a year. Someone buying an unsafe trailer is just as dangerous as a person buying a truck and/ or trailer loading it up and heading down the road with no idea what they are doing. It is sort of like truck manufacturers claiming all kinds of tow capacites with their trucks and someone buys it thinking they have that capacity. You have to have the correct setup (axle ratio/ axles/ tires/ hitch/ etc) to have that capacity. I truly understand your frustration and concern, but I think your energy is better spent informing people, as you are doing here, and everywhere else as to what proper ratings and proper manufacturing techniques are. I just hate to see the idea that we think government can solve all our problems and we do not have to be accountable for our own actions. I had my New York Inspection license for a number of years when I ran a service station and believe me it does not keep junk off the road. Sorry to go on a rant, it is just my 2 cents. I commend you for the very informative posts, just don't want to see more government. It ends up costing all the people more that want to do things correctly and the people that want to cut corners still will. Just food for thought and I am not trying to offend anyone or pick a fight.