are my front tires wimpy?

/ are my front tires wimpy? #1  

daugen

Super Star Member
Tractor
in between now
I've seen this discussed on other threads, but looking at the LS website reminded me to ask.
My Kubota has what seems to me to be relatively small R4's up front.
LS Tractor USA
If I look at a comparable LS, the front tires appear half again taller/larger. Perhaps this is a heavier
tractor, which balances the flotation vs grip issues, but wouldn't going to a larger tire, and not necessarily that much wider,
wouldn't that help performance?

I almost always change out my car tires to get better quality than what the oem provides. TireRack does well by me.
But tractor tires are super expensive, this is no impulse buy for sure, and I know the front tires need to provide a "coordinated"
system with the rears. Would bigger be better here?

Attachments

• P1010723.jpg
    P1010723.jpg
    850.9 KB · Views: 542
   / are my front tires wimpy? #2  
No, bigger on the front wouldn't be better. As you said, the tire size ratio has been figured into the gearing of the tractor, and going to a larger size can cause problems. It can tear out the front pumpkin.

/ are my front tires wimpy?
No, bigger on the front wouldn't be better. As you said, the tire size ratio has been figured into the gearing of the tractor, and going to a larger size can cause problems. It can tear out the front pumpkin.

Makes sense, but why did LS spec such a larger tire, then compensate by gearing?
Trying to figure out the advantage.

/ are my front tires wimpy? #4  
I've seen this discussed on other threads, but looking at the LS website reminded me to ask.
My Kubota has what seems to me to be relatively small R4's up front.
LS Tractor USA
If I look at a comparable LS, the front tires appear half again taller/larger. Perhaps this is a heavier
tractor, which balances the flotation vs grip issues, but wouldn't going to a larger tire, and not necessarily that much wider,
wouldn't that help performance?

You're doing apples and oranges here. The U5030 in your link is an ag utility tractor that compares with something like the Kubota M5140, not your L5740. The ag utility tractors are over a foot longer, have longer wheelbase, are heavier, and are designed for a different type of work than your "compact" L5740. They also have a 3 ft. wider turning radius vs. tractors with a compact type configuration, partly because they use those 20 or 24" front tires vs. the 16" ones on a compact. If you look at the LS compact model most comparable to your L5740, it would be the R4047, and it also has 16" fronts.

As noted, you couldn't just put bigger tires on the front because of steering clearance issues and because the fronts would not turn at the right speed to match the rears in 4wd, causing damage to the drivetrain.

I know it's hard to think of your L5740 as a "compact" tractor, but you know the old saying about "a rose by any other name"... it has a different configuration than a farm utiility tractor. If you find your work is putting you in situations where you have trouble with losing traction or sinking in a lot with the fronts, it could be that an ag utility unit would work better for you.

You're doing apples and oranges here. The U5030 in your link is an ag utility tractor that compares with something like the Kubota M5140, not your L5740. The ag utility tractors are over a foot longer, have longer wheelbase, are heavier, and are designed for a different type of work than your "compact" L5740. They also have a 3 ft. wider turning radius vs. tractors with a compact type configuration, partly because they use those 20 or 24" front tires vs. the 16" ones on a compact. If you look at the LS compact model most comparable to your L5740, it would be the R4047, and it also has 16" fronts.

As noted, you couldn't just put bigger tires on the front because of steering clearance issues and because the fronts would not turn at the right speed to match the rears in 4wd, causing damage to the drivetrain.

I know it's hard to think of your L5740 as a "compact" tractor, but you know the old saying about "a rose by any other name"... it has a different configuration than a farm utiility tractor. If you find your work is putting you in situations where you have trouble with losing traction or sinking in a lot with the fronts, it could be that an ag utility unit would work better for you.

great advice, thanks.

/ are my front tires wimpy? #6  
The tractor pictured on the LS first page of the website is a Utility class tractor, their U series. Kubota L series is still in the compact class. If look at the LS compact models R series you will find they have the simialr smaller front to rear tire ratio as Kubota and everyone else. LS doesn't list a compact in HP comparable to the L5740, their highest HP model is similar to the L4740. Kubota's M series are Utility and have larger front to rear tire ratio.

/ are my front tires wimpy? #7  
FWIW, the Kubota MX4700 and MX5100 use considerably larger tires and it is the same compact grand L 'chassis'. So you could upgrade (all around I'm guessing) to the MX4700 tires for a more beefy front tire.

/ are my front tires wimpy? #8  
great advice, thanks.

Agreed, very good post, look at the relatively small front tires on commercial backhoes. Increasing tire diameter seems to decrease the ability to turn and I have seen this reported in connection to putting bigger tires on cars and trucks.

/ are my front tires wimpy? #9  
I agree with everything that's been said. And having gone thru the B series, L series and now M series of Kubotas, they are each built for a general purpose. If your current tractor fits your general purpose needs then stick with it, small tires and all.

One of the things I disliked most about my L4400 was the short front tires. I heavily used the loader in timber land. If you tried to cross any sizeable ditch with a load the front tires in the ditch would always stick you.

With the M series the front tire height overcomes a lot of obstacles that stopped the L and the smaller B models. Surprisingly my M9540 turns amazingly tight. I don't know the exact turning radius but for it's size, it's very small.

In the end,,,, taller front tires are very expensive because you have to buy a complete tractor to get them!!! :)

I agree with everything that's been said. And having gone thru the B series, L series and now M series of Kubotas, they are each built for a general purpose. If your current tractor fits your general purpose needs then stick with it, small tires and all.

One of the things I disliked most about my L4400 was the short front tires. I heavily used the loader in timber land. If you tried to cross any sizeable ditch with a load the front tires in the ditch would always stick you.

With the M series the front tire height overcomes a lot of obstacles that stopped the L and the smaller B models. Surprisingly my M9540 turns amazingly tight. I don't know the exact turning radius but for it's size, it's very small.

In the end,,,, taller front tires are very expensive because you have to buy a complete tractor to get them!!! :)

HMMMMMM. The tractor I almost bought was a M9540, it did everything I wanted except be trailerable by my Suburban, which I had just bought, and was not
about to go buy a diesel dually to haul it. That's another 60K...
So I went down a size; guess my original mindset didn't...
I am reminded of what I own every time I lift up the back end unintentionally, weight box or implement on and all.
But I am also very happy with what I have, and after spending fifty hours in the woods with it, wonder if the 9540's width and height would
have made that even more challenging. So I am content with what I have. But if I move to a bigger place...hmmm.