how to turn up my M4950

/ how to turn up my M4950 #1  

timetraveler89

Tractor
kubota M4950DT, JD 3020, farmal cub
i have a kubota M4950DT that i feel is little weak for a 50hp tractor and im looking to turn it up a little. i read that you can increase the rack travel on the injector pump by letting out a screw. id like to try that but it looks like there are two screw that i could adjust on the injector pump and i want to make sure i got the right one. theres one on the front and back. from what ive read it should be the front one. if someone could clarify that would be a real big help.

thanks for the help
Josh

/ how to turn up my M4950 #2  
why do u want to turn up the fuel what are doing with the tractor you need more power

/ how to turn up my M4950
I use my Kubota for mowing pasture at my farm and a friend's farm. Both farms have very little flat land and the tractor seem to bog down to soon on the hills. Also I use it to rake hay so I do a lot of road travel with it. And again the hills seem to bog it down. I'd like to add alittle more power so that I can maintain my ground speed better.

/ how to turn up my M4950 #4  
Turning the max fuel/rack stop out will put more fuel to it all the time which can lead to engine over heating due to hotter combustion temps. I don't know if your governor is setup the same as the older V1903 & V2203 engines I used to work on, but on those the rear screw was the governor spring adjustment. That adjustment will set the RPM point when the governor starts to release the rack for more power when the engine starts to load. There were a few times that I had power complaints and adjusted to governor screw with great success. I can't remember if it was turning the screw in or out, but the process was to mark the screw at current setting the loosen the jam nut and turn it, with engine running at full throttle, until slight smoke started showing at the exhuast the turn screw back about 1/2 way from where it originally was. If the engine doesn't have to drop RPM as far before governor releases to adjsut for the change in load, it can maintain RPM better without running to rich/over fueling.

/ how to turn up my M4950 #5  
timetraveler89
Keep in mind that faster horses need better wagons IE higher hp requires more cooling capacity. IMHO the little radiator on the M4900 that I sold looked as if it belonged on a 4 cyl Nissan or Toyota car.

/ how to turn up my M4950 #6  
I added a turbo & turned up the fuel & engine speed on my Ford 1720 because I needed more power to push thru some tough sections when mowing & snow blowing, didn’t want a larger tractor just a bit more power.
Best thing I ever did, it generates considerably more power and shows no sign of overheating. I’m guessing timetravler has the same issue I had and is looking for the power reserve to power thru tough sections, not attain WARP speed for extended periods of time.
Yes it will generate more heat but IF it was to overheat it would several minutes to heat soak the engine/cooling system to cause an overheat condition.
There is excess capacity in the cooling system to compensate for dust /chaff plugged radiators. If kept clean there is virtually no chance of overheating the engine unless the ambient temp is extremely high and/or the engine is overloaded for extended periods.
They install oil pressure & temperature gauges for a reason, watch them!
Just a note about my Ford; I added my turbo 2 years ago and turned the fuel up for considerably more power with no ill effects.
It will generate 10 lbs of boost but I limit steady state operation at 5lbs, I also watch the exhaust and will gear down or reduce the load if the exhaust is belching black smoke. 2300 hours & running strong!
Go for it Timetravler watch the gauges and operate it knowing that you alone will pay the price for abuse of power!
90Cummins

/ how to turn up my M4950 #7  
is your tractor a gear tranny i only roll with a gear tranny on a tractor u need a bigger tractor

/ how to turn up my M4950
yes it is a gear tranny. 4 ranges and 3 froward syncro and reverse. i dont have the money for a bigger tractor. i have a john deere 3020 diesel but there are a few things that the kubota is better at. and if i could get a little more power out of it it would be perfect.

i like SSdoxie suggestion so im gooing to start with that. do you remember if you had to turn the srew just a little bit or a few turns when you adjusted those motors?
also 90cummins do you have any pics or videos of your setup? id dont think ill put a turbo on mine but id like to see it anyways.

thanks for the suggestions if you got any more tricks let me know.

/ how to turn up my M4950 #9  
Photos can be seen in the review section at the top of the page under Ford 1720.
I would post the photos but don't know how.

/ how to turn up my M4950 #10  
is your tractor a gear tranny i only roll with a gear tranny on a tractor u need a bigger tractor

Bingo.

Not recommended.

Most (all?) recent design diesel engines, especially those in CUTS are producing output near design constraints, both engine and drive train. Modifiactions to increase power will void any warranty remaining and will increase the probability of engine and/or drive train failure while reducing life.

SDT